    SATA as well.)

    Would there be a better configuration, such as partitioning one of the
    smaller drives for OSes only?

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 11, 2005

  2. It's mostly a matter of taste. Any other scheme you could possibly think of,
    would in all likelihood be preferable to someone else. Personally, though, I
    much prefer having each OS on its own Primary Partition, and with three of
    them drives - that has to be the easiest solution, so no need for persuation
    here.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 11, 2005

  3. Dennis Gordon

    Guest

    I like the idea of having the user data on its own drive. This way if
    the OS drive gets so hosed that it needs a total rebuild, you don't
    lose the user data.

    I had 3 SCSI drives as well, but decided just to buy SATAs and go raid.
    These Seagate SATA are quiet and fast. I ran the IOmeter on the full
    package for two users and got Iops=812.33 running raid 10. The newer
    mobos have SATA raid built in. I used Gigabyte Nforce4 Ultra, which
    has two SATA raids.

    , Sep 11, 2005
  4. I'm still running Raid 0 on my "old" Gigabyte GA8-IHP. Still works pretty
    good, but I've always wanted to give an all SCSI system a try. If I find I
    don't like it or need it I'll move them into a file server where they'll be
    useful.

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 11, 2005
  5. Dennis Gordon

    Guest

    I've done the all SCSI path. I've got a PC with 3 10kRPM drives.
    Incidentally, I can't stand my Fujistu drive because of bearing noise.
    It started loud, and grew louder with age. The Seagate drives are still
    fine. When I went raid, I used 4 seagate 300MByte driver in Raid 10.
    They are about $100 each at the moment (About $150 when I bought them a
    few months ago). You can barely hear them running, and I'm using the
    Silent PC case, a low RPM heat pipe CPU cooler, a Seasonic power supply
    with smart fan, and a heat pipe on the video card. In other words,
    there isn't much to drown out the drive noise.

    If you're building a system and a few hundred bucks isn't going to
    break you, I'd just get the SATA drives and go raid. The Gigabyte
    boards support raid5, which is a bit more efficient, but these SATA
    drives are so cheap relative to the SCSI beasts I've bought in the past
    that RAID 10 seemed like the way to go.

    The Seagate drives have native command queing, what ever that means,
    but benchmarkers claim that isn't much of an advantage. I just like
    Seagate drives because they are the least trouble out of any drive I've
    used.

    Incidentally, the loudest component is the Gigabyte heat pipe CPU
    cooler, even when run at the lowest speed. It's a quiet cooler, but
    still the loudest component However, I built a PC using the same
    cooler and I can tell you it that at the minimum speed I can't get a
    AMD64 to go over 50 deg C. I ran some CPU intensive games and CPU
    intensitve imaging software to get the CPU hot.

    , Sep 12, 2005
  6. Dennis Gordon

    honjo Guest

    If I were you, I would do the following:

    Connect 36G HD to channel 0 and create three primary partitions and one
    extended partition. Install WXP 32Bit on the first partition, WXP 64Bit
    on the second partition, and W2K on the third partition. When WXP 64Bit
    is installed, change the active partition from the first to the second
    partition then boot to WXP 64Bit CDROM to begin installation. Do
    likewise when installing W2K.

    Install Partition Magic on all OSs and use a utility called "PQBoot for
    Windows" to switch among these OSs. This way OS drive becomes always C:
    regardless of which one is booted. If no boot situation arises use DOS
    version of PQBoot to boot one of the other OSs.

    The extended partition is used to store data: Modify default settings
    for all application software so that user created data are funneled to
    this data storage area.

    Connect 36G HD to channel 1, create one primary partition of about 10GB
    and copy installed W2K from the above. This becomes handy to trouble
    shoot when all OSs on the channel 0 HD fail to boot. To boot this W2K
    boot priority setting has to be changed by the BIOS.

    The remaining area in 36GB HD and all 18GB HD are used as data storage
    space.

    Kaz

    honjo, Sep 12, 2005
  7. I just got the 73G Fujitsu. I've only fired it up to see if it worked (it
    does). Seems pretty quiet to me for a 15K drive. Cost about $200 and it's
    fast. The IBM OTOH sounds like a jet spinning up and drones pretty loud. It
    doesn't bother me much. I hope having the tree drives in the box doesn't
    make the machine sound like it belongs in the server room. That's where
    they'll wind up if it's too noisy...

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 12, 2005
  8. Wow, now that's the kind of detailed alternative that I was looking for. Not
    that I understand it much...;-)

    I presume you meant connecting the *73* gig drive to channel 1, not the 36
    gigger.

    I'm not quite clear on the 2K necessity. I've never had both OSes on one
    machine fail so that I couldn't get into one to get data off and repair the
    other.

    Would "PQBoot for Windows" give problems to the multiple installations of
    software such as InDesign and Photoshop for each OS?

    It is a cool suggestion however. Thanks...

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 12, 2005
  9. Dennis Gordon

    honjo Guest

    Dennis Gordon wrote:

    > I presume you meant connecting the *73* gig drive to channel 1, not the 36
    > gigger.

    That is correct. But connect it to the youngest SCSI address AMONG those
    for the SCSI drives so that channel number assinged to 73GB drive
    becomes O. The reason is that PQBoot for Windows can be used to switch
    among OSs which are installed only in channel 0 drive. Assumption here
    is that no IDE drive is used.
    If you want to boot an OS in other physical drive then this physical
    drive need be set as the boot physical drive by changing SCSI BIOS setting.

    > I'm not quite clear on the 2K necessity.

    If you do not have W2K then just ignore this. The reason I install W2K
    is that you can view any other primary partition from W2K. Viewing other
    primary partition is not this simple from WXP: You have to first Unhide
    the one you want to see by using Partition Magic or similar disk
    utility. Installing W2K is primarily for trouble shooting purpose.

    >I've never had both OSes on one
    > machine fail so that I couldn't get into one to get data off and repair the
    > other.

    I am not sure if I understand this correctly. But if you implement
    multi-boot system by the popular way or using NT boot manager which is
    included in NT based OS(W2K, WXP), then there is possibility that all
    OSs becomes non-bootable at the same time. My suggested way avoid this
    to happen.

    > Would "PQBoot for Windows" give problems to the multiple installations of
    > software such as InDesign and Photoshop for each OS?

    No problem. I am using Creative Suite CS2. "PQBoot for Windows" is a
    Windows based utility which comes in PartitionMagic 8. Also included in
    the package is DOS based PQBoot which is used when Windows OS fails to boot.

    Kaz

    honjo, Sep 12, 2005
  10. Thanks for the clarification....

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 12, 2005
  11. Dennis Gordon

    Guest

    I've used PM boot for a dual boot DOS/win2k machine, but didn't bother
    with it for this installtion (which right now is x64 and win XP). I
    suppose there is an advantage to keeping the OS in what looks like the
    C driver, but all the drive renaming confuses me.

    On my SCSI machine, I just select the OS with SCSI boot program. You
    can do one OS per drive (in his case 3 OSs) without any boot software.

    PQBoot has been around for a few editions. I routinely upgrade this
    software at Frys for just the cost of the tax. Hang onto the manual to
    get the rebate.

    , Sep 13, 2005
  12. Dennis Gordon

    Guest

    When you get your system running, do a post with the I/O meter
    benchmark software.
    http://www.iometer.org/
    I guess this would only be applicable if we had the same CPU, though
    the CPU utilization with raid or scsi on the benchmark is low. I'm
    using the 4400 dual core.

    , Sep 13, 2005
  13. Dennis Gordon

    honjo Guest

    My response here is based on the assumption that "PM boot" means PQBoot
    and each of your WXP-64Bit and WXP-32Bit is installed in a separate
    physical hard drive.

    I do not understand why is the statement, "all the drive renaming
    confuse me". When you boot the second OS and if you find the D: drive
    and under are assigned differently then you have to rename them, but
    this need to be done only once.

    If you install each OS for multi-boot system in a separate physical
    drive instead of a same physical drive then PQBoot can not be used and
    instead, BIOS setting has to be changed to switch the boot physical
    drive as the way you are doing(I assume "SCSI boot program" means SCSI
    BIOS).

    honjo, Sep 13, 2005
  14. Dennis Gordon

    Guest

    Yes, SCSI bios. Now that you mention it, I has two OS on one drive, and
    a different OS on another drive, so I used a combination of PM boot and
    the SCSI bios.

    , Sep 13, 2005
  15. I'll do that. I'm a coupla weeks away from the build. I have everything
    except CPU, mobo and case. Hoping to see the 4400 dip a bit and to hear what
    users of the ASRock 1695 board are saying....

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 14, 2005
  16. Dennis Gordon

    Guest

    I was able to get an OEM 4400 from Monarch. Much cheaper than retail,
    but still not cheap. And don't post the current price as it was be
    painful!

    I can't say I ever heard of ASRock. I suppose it makes sense if you
    already have an AGP card.

    , Sep 14, 2005
  17. AsRock is connected with Asus. They make budget line boards, but their
    latest has a lot of enthisiasts agog because it provides full AGP and PCIe
    support, and some sort of sfuture socket upgrade. It's been well received by
    the usual sites (Anandtech etc.)

    Here's the Newegg link:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 14, 2005
  18. Dennis Gordon

    honjo Guest

    miso@sushi:

    It appears that you are doing it the same way as I am.

    P.S.: Does miso goes with sushi? I know shoyu does. :)

    honjo, Sep 14, 2005