dual boot mess-up / ntoskrnl problem

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?UmFlbA==?=, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I'm new to XP x64 and I don't have exactly much experience with systems
    (problems).
    Here's a brief description of what happened:

    I bought a new computer with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processor.
    I installed Windows x64 version but I noticed some problems with non-64-bit
    programs and I read that some of them didn't have full 64-bit compatibility,
    so I decided to install my old Windows XP Home version to run these programs.
    (Here comes the stupid part:)
    I installed it on the same disk/partition as my x64 system.

    When I start up, I get to choose between Home (default selection) and x64
    and my Home version works just fine.
    When I select to start up with x64 however it gives the following error:

    Windows could not start because following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

    I've tried to repair it using the x64 CD repair console, reading somewhere
    that I should type: (this is with my disk adresses)

    expand e:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ d:\windows\system32

    This didn't work: the path file specified could not be found.
    I inspected the CD and noticed the only ntoskrnl file present was in the
    AMD64 directory instead of i386.

    "Expand e:\AMD64\ntoskrnl.ex_ d:\windows\system32" executed but when booting
    he still says the ntoskrnl file is missing/corrupt.

    Then I tried something desperate: I copied the ntoskrnl.exe file from my
    Home system32 folder into my x64 system32 folder, hoping the Home file was
    fine.
    Now i receive the error that the hal.dll file is missing/corrupted.

    And now I'm too scared to move :)

    I got the original ntoskrnl.exe file from before I attempted the repairs.

    Is this fixable? Should I remove the x64 system from my computer (how?) and
    install it on a new partition?

    Anyone can help me out with this?
    =?Utf-8?B?UmFlbA==?=, Nov 4, 2005

  2. You have seriously munged your installation(s). You can never have two
    operating systems sharing the same partition without problems, and that is
    especially true here where they aren't even the same binaries.

    The best solution? Start from scratch. Install XP Home Edition to one
    partition, and then install x64 Edition to another partition. Personally,
    this is the only thing I would attempt or trust. As it is now you have
    residual stuff from the x64 install in the same place as the Home edition
    install. NOT a good thing.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 4, 2005

  3. OK, wow... use diff parts, for sure, but this isn't really the problem, me
    thinx. When you installed XP Home AFTER installing XP x64, your ntldr was
    written over. XP Home ntldr won't know what to do with your x64 ntoskrnl. =/

    get your x64 ntoskrnl back, and use the x64 version of ntldr, and you MIGHT
    be able to run the config you have. its never, ever, advised to run two OSes
    on same part, but it can work, assuming you've installed to different
    directories (and i think you have since your XP Home works).

    Ken

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEh1ZmZtYW4sIEpyLg==?=, Nov 14, 2005
  4. I agree with Charlie. I think his problem runs deeper than ntoskrnl and
    ntldr. You would be right if the two OS's were simply installed to
    different partitions in the wrong order, but I think this is a case where
    some extensive overwriting of x64 files were probably done by the Home
    installer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 14, 2005
  5. Hello,
    Correct. If you install 32-bit and 64-bit to the same volume, your program
    files folder is overwritten with the wrong platform. One of the operating
    systems is broken.
    Any updates that install like security updates for example need to be
    applied for each OS, so they could potentially write to the program files
    folder as well. This means the wrong architecture could be installed,
    corrupted some portion of the program files folder.
    Stability could never be assured in this configuration. It's just broken,
    Clean install both operating system to separate volumes.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    <From: "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com>