dual boot install

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?YmlrZXJhc2g=?=, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. i have been following this discussion with interest. i recently purchased a
    dell 380 and got myself a 64 bit arch . now i am in fix since i cannot run
    any of my old programs which will only run on windows 2000 server or NT

    so i have a 64 bit arch machine with 64 bit XP professional installed.

    2 sata 160 gb hard drives

    c: drive is formatted and installed with xp 64
    d: drive is formatted but with no OP

    drive D is visible to me, it is formatted with NTFS

    now i am trying to install windows 2000 server on D, and set up machine for
    dual boot.

    1) copy ntldr and ntdetect.com from C:/I386 to a new folder on C:

    2) unplug C drive i.e. drive 0:

    3) startup with 2000 cd which i presume will start install on D:

    am i on the right track. what do i need to do next??
    where do i get to boot.ini

    thnx
    jef

    =?Utf-8?B?YmlrZXJhc2g=?=, Aug 14, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YmlrZXJhc2g=?=

    DKI Guest

    Is the primary and boot drive going to be XP X64 edition.

    If so then you will not need to copy the ntldr and ntdetect.com as since
    they will boot X64 and backwards and all you need to do is edit the boot.ini
    file to point to win2kserver

    If the drive with Win2k server is going to be the boot drive you will need
    the ntldr and ntdetect.com and to edit that boot.ini file

    You should not need to pull any power to the drives since both sata drives
    will be detected when starting in text mode to setup 2k (after F6) and see
    X64 is installed on one and should be offered the choice to install on the D
    Drive as well as the C

    When installed 2k (presuming you left x64 as the boot drive) under x64

    The boot.ini file can be edited by doing the following
    start
    control panel
    system properties
    advance under the startup and recovery is a tab settings go to that and then
    the edit tab
    under system startup when you hit edit it will open the it in notepad and
    its there where you edit the boot file.

    DKI, Aug 14, 2005

  3. thanks

    yes , x64 will remain as the primary boot.

    when i put in the X2 cd and restart the machine it comes back with a earlier
    op sys error and does not let me install. is there some key i have to press
    for it to install to D: drive.

    which of the following params get edited in boot.ini after i install 2k.
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noex

    thx,
    jeff

    =?Utf-8?B?YmlrZXJhc2g=?=, Aug 14, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?YmlrZXJhc2g=?=

    andy Guest

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:10:02 -0700, "bikerash"
    <> wrote:

    >i have been following this discussion with interest. i recently purchased a
    >dell 380 and got myself a 64 bit arch . now i am in fix since i cannot run
    >any of my old programs which will only run on windows 2000 server or NT
    >
    >so i have a 64 bit arch machine with 64 bit XP professional installed.
    >
    >2 sata 160 gb hard drives
    >
    >c: drive is formatted and installed with xp 64
    >d: drive is formatted but with no OP
    >
    >drive D is visible to me, it is formatted with NTFS
    >
    >now i am trying to install windows 2000 server on D, and set up machine for
    >dual boot.
    >
    >1) copy ntldr and ntdetect.com from C:/I386 to a new folder on C:

    i386 is a copy of the installation folder from, in this case, the
    Windows XP 64 CD. The copies of ntldr and ntdetect.com that you would
    save, if you don't have i386 handy, are located in C:\. (They're
    hidden files in the root directory.)

    >2) unplug C drive i.e. drive 0:

    Reasons why one would do this include:
    a. you want the Windows 2000 installation to be on drive C:, and/or
    b. you want to be able to boot directly from the second drive in the
    future.
    However, if you want Windows 2000 to be on drive D:, then you leave
    the first drive connected.

    >3) startup with 2000 cd which i presume will start install on D:
    >
    >am i on the right track. what do i need to do next??

    The installation steps are:
    1. Change the boot order in BIOS setup so the computer boots from the
    optical drive first.
    2. Boot computer from the Windows 2000 CD.
    3. Pay attention to the status line at the bottom of the screen and
    press F6 when it tells you to do so.
    4. When prompted to do so, insert floppy diskette containing drivers
    for the SATA interface on the motherboard into the floppy drive.
    5. If step 4. worked, you'll get to the screen showing partition(s) on
    the second drive. Things to note: a) the capacity of the disk will be
    shown as 131000 MB, due to the 137GB LBA boundary; b) since you have
    already created single partition on the drive, it should show as a
    153000 MB partition as drive D:.
    6. Install Windows 2000 to drive D:.
    7. When istallation is complete, perform the following two actions to
    configure Windows 2000 to properly access large drives: a) install SP3
    or SP4; and b) create EnableBigLba in the registry
    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;305098>.
    8. Reboot and run Disk Management, and check capabity of disks; they
    should show as about 149GB.
    9. Copy ntldr and ntdetect.com from i386 to C:\. Make sure you copy;
    if you just drag, the files will be moved.
    10. Boot to Windows XP 64.

    >where do i get to boot.ini

    If installation is performed as above, there is no need to mess with
    boot.ini.

    andy, Aug 14, 2005
  5. thanks Andy. I will give this a go.

    =?Utf-8?B?YmlrZXJhc2g=?=, Aug 15, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?YmlrZXJhc2g=?=

    DKI Guest

    Is it set to boot into the CD i am supprised there it may be not be copying
    the CD file over properly

    You need the boot ini to point to the 2k hdd for it to boot

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optout
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    thats how mine is layed out and i on 2 different hdds without partitions as
    you see rdisk is referering to the hdd and partition is refering to the
    partition installed on

    Windows 2k when installed will make its own boot.ini file, copy that line
    below [operating system] and paste it into the boot.ini onto the hdd with
    X64 and change the rdisk to 1

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noex
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(number that is in the 2k boot.ini
    file)\WINDOWS="Windows 2000 server" /if any place them in as well from the
    2k boot.ini file

    so it should look something like that they have to match the ini file if its
    that 2k creates or it won't boot.

    DKI, Aug 15, 2005
  7. changed the boot order in bios.
    rebooted with win2k cd , takes me to F6, takes a few minutes loading files
    then goes to install screen and comes back with Drives not found. it cannot
    see any drives.

    =?Utf-8?B?YmlrZXJhc2g=?=, Aug 17, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?YmlrZXJhc2g=?=

    andy Guest

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:12:10 -0700, "bikerash"
    <> wrote:

    >changed the boot order in bios.
    >rebooted with win2k cd , takes me to F6, takes a few minutes loading files
    >then goes to install screen and comes back with Drives not found. it cannot
    >see any drives.

    This means the drivers on the diskette is not the correct Windows 2000
    SATA drivers for the SATA interface on the motherboard. You have to
    obtain and use the proper drivers.

    andy, Aug 18, 2005
  9. o.k , come a long way in the last few days. downloaded all the drivers and
    installed win2k successfully and set up dual boot, works great.
    just can't find any drivers for 1394 controller card. hence no audio.

    thanks guys.

    =?Utf-8?B?YmlrZXJhc2g=?=, Aug 23, 2005