Dual boot in RAID 0 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. Is it possible to set-up a dual boot when I'm running a RAID 0 configuration?

    =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=, Feb 18, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=

    renoch Guest

    Yes, it is definitely possible. You just have to load the correct raid (F6)
    drivers for each OS when you install them.

    I am dual booting from a Raid-0 myself.

    good luck,

    Roy

    renoch, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Well, I put the 32 bit version on one half of the HD but when I tryed to put
    X64 on the other half and load the RAID....I get the message " NVATA.CAT AND
    NVRAID COULD NOT BE READ". So I reformated the floppy and re-recorded the
    RAID, but got the same message again. ?

    =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=, Feb 18, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You need 64-bit drivers for the x64 OS

    John Barnes, Feb 18, 2006
  5. Yes, but when I try to load the drvers...it say that those two .cat files
    could not be read? A friend suggested that I install the X64 first and then
    the 32 bit XP, but I'd like to know if it would work first...

    =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=, Feb 18, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The correct installation sequence would be xp32 first then x64 second. I
    suggest you download a new copy of the drivers for 64-bit. If you have the
    correct drivers there will be two files which will match up and you need to
    load. You can get the latest Nvidia 64-bit drivers on their site.

    John Barnes, Feb 18, 2006
  7. OK...I downloaded the 64 bit drivers from Nvidia but they're too large to put
    on a floppy ?

    =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=, Feb 19, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You need to open the file you downloaded and look for the files you need.
    Should be a SATARAID or PATARAID a file named something like XP F6 Disk
    Copy the files to the floppy I'm not sure what you downloaded so can't be
    more definative. There could also be a program called Make Disk, which will
    write your floppy. Look around.

    John Barnes, Feb 19, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I am doing that on two different systems. I set up RAID in the BIOS.
    Next, I used Partition Magic to then set up four partitions with NTFS
    formatting: First , set as Primary, was used as the boot partition,
    second, third and fourth are virtual drives in an extended partition. I
    installed the 32 bit system to the second and the 64 bit system to the
    third. The fourth is used for data. I used the Windows XP boot manager.

    1. Get the RAID drivers for your system. Run the utility/program to make
    the F6 floppy for each operating system of interest.

    2. Boot from the appropriate CD for the OS. Insert the floppy at the
    appropriate time.

    3. Install the 32 bit system and then the 64 to different partitions.

    Note that RAID is set up first and then the OS installed.

    There are schemes to set it up but this works well.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Tom Ferguson, Feb 19, 2006
  10. OK...the RAID is set in the BIOS...32 bit is loaded on D drive and works
    fine. I down loaded the latest nvidia RAID driver for X64 formatted the C
    drive and set-up X64 with the new F6 floppy. (each partition automatically
    partitioned its own boot partition so there are 4 partitions) X64 loaded fine
    untill the very end. It no longer says that "nvraid & nvata.cat files cannot
    be read" when the F6 floppy is inserted at the beginning...now at the end of
    the set-up it says that "nvraid & nvata.cat files cannot be copied"...X64
    installed but does not open....?

    =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=, Feb 19, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Glad the 32 bit system is working. I really can't say much about the rest
    since you did it differently than I and this is far from the area in
    which I have much competance. However, just in case there is something
    further I could suggest:

    What motherboard are you using? Did you boot from the CD for the 64 bit
    system? Did you format the C: drive after installing the 32 bit system?
    If so, why?

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "hkoon3d" <> wrote in message
    : OK...the RAID is set in the BIOS...32 bit is loaded on D drive and
    works
    : fine. I down loaded the latest nvidia RAID driver for X64 formatted the
    : drive and set-up X64 with the new F6 floppy. (each partition
    automatically
    : partitioned its own boot partition so there are 4 partitions) X64
    loaded fine
    : untill the very end. It no longer says that "nvraid & nvata.cat files
    cannot
    : be read" when the F6 floppy is inserted at the beginning...now at the
    end of
    : the set-up it says that "nvraid & nvata.cat files cannot be
    copied"...X64
    : installed but does not open....?
    :
    : "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
    :
    : > I am doing that on two different systems. I set up RAID in the BIOS.
    : > Next, I used Partition Magic to then set up four partitions with NTFS
    : > formatting: First , set as Primary, was used as the boot partition,
    : > second, third and fourth are virtual drives in an extended partition.
    : > installed the 32 bit system to the second and the 64 bit system to
    the
    : > third. The fourth is used for data. I used the Windows XP boot
    manager.
    : >
    : > 1. Get the RAID drivers for your system. Run the utility/program to
    make
    : > the F6 floppy for each operating system of interest.
    : >
    : > 2. Boot from the appropriate CD for the OS. Insert the floppy at the
    : > appropriate time.
    : >
    : > 3. Install the 32 bit system and then the 64 to different partitions.
    : >
    : >
    : > Note that RAID is set up first and then the OS installed.
    : >
    : > There are schemes to set it up but this works well.
    : >
    : > Tom
    : > MSMVP
    : > Windows Shell/User
    : >
    : >
    : > news:...

    Tom Ferguson, Feb 19, 2006
  12. My motherboard is an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe. Yes, I booted off of the CD then
    reformated the C drive just to delete the previously installed 64 bit OS that
    wasn't working.
    Oh, one other thing, I don't know if this an indication of anything but, in
    the previuos installation it would list the D drive (32 bit) as the first
    choice...now it lists the C drive (64 bit) as the first choice.......even
    though it doesn't open.

    =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=, Feb 19, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?aGtvb24zZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The last installed system lists first, so that would be normal

    John Barnes, Feb 19, 2006
  14. And you can change it, of course.

    --
    Charlie.