Dual-boot - how to boot old XP-partition in FAT on NTFS partition next to Win XP ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dutch Treat, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. Dutch Treat

    Dutch Treat Guest

    I crashed a laptop, bought a new one, copied the old partition next to the XP
    partition on the new laptop and expected with use of Partition Magic and System
    Commander to be able to boot form both. Not !

    Partition Magic will make any partition active. At that moment I saw that the
    old partition of the old laptop was not in NTFS, but in FAT. I do not have any
    experience this being a problem so I hoped both to come up in the menu of
    System Commander when rebooting. Not !

    There were two choices and tried both. When I thought I was choosing for the
    old partition (it was not automatically recognized and presented as old XP
    under FAT) it gave some error message like " autocheck " (or something like
    that), rebooted itself and restarted the new partition as boot. Nothing I could
    do to boot from the old partition.

    Anyone who has a explanation and solution to this?

    Thanks in advance for any help!
    Dutch Treat, Dec 6, 2004