    in this environment, and then switch to x64 with a second boot
    partition with only the system installed for games, am I wrong?

    Thank you for your collaboration :)
    Mike, Mar 23, 2006

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > My idea then is to stay with 32 bit, and install mail and applications
    > in this environment, and then switch to x64 with a second boot
    > partition with only the system installed for games, am I wrong?

    And then the questions is how to partition the drive to be able to use
    all of the space, will I be able to see the x32 partition from x64 and
    viceversa?
    Mike, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Mike

    McBain Guest

    > My idea then is to stay with 32 bit, and install mail and applications
    > in this environment, and then switch to x64 with a second boot
    > partition with only the system installed for games, am I wrong?

    For some reason, I find 32 bit to be more stable than x64 for games
    (probably because the games are written for a 32 bit OS). For example,
    Half-Life 2 (even in 64bit) and Black & White 2 run better on a 32 bit OS
    for me than x64. Half-Life 2 suffers from "stutters" and Black & White 2
    crashes frequently when run on x64, but these problems are not present on XP
    Pro 32 bit. There can be a slight drop in frame rates for games in x64 as
    well.

    I now have a dual boot, but only ever use x64 for scientific programs.
    Unless the games support x64, I would say to stick with the standard 32 bit
    OS.
    McBain, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Agreed, you are not gonna see any significant performance or enhancement to
    games on XP Professional x64, also he mentioned USB devices/Bluetooth, that
    has not been one of XP Pro x64s strong area of support. I suggest you stick
    with XP x86 just to maintain compatibility, reduce unnecessary trouble
    shooting and trauma.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 23, 2006