    the actual words presented on a virtual silver platter would be
    preferred.

    TIA
    Me@, Dec 11, 2007

  2. Me@

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-12-11, Me@y <Me@WMe> wrote:
    > My friend has an XP box and a Vista box. He wants to be able to boot
    > to either and doesn't want to reformat either to accommodate the
    > other.
    >
    > I want to put both OS's HDD's into the same case

    OK so far. Although you might have some hoops to jump through to convince
    Microsoft that you aren't breaking their rules, and to sort out the
    hardware drivers in the OS which is being moved to a different machine.

    > and have bios boot to
    > a floppy first, then have some words on the floppy instructing either
    > the Vista or XP to boot, but I am clueless as to what those words
    > might be (although I suspect they might begin with @ECHO OFF).

    I doubt if you really want that at all.

    > I suspect they would mimic the words required to start Windows 95 from
    > DOS (C:\Windows\win) but again, I don't know what to write.
    >
    > Can you guys tell me what to write, and/or where to find these words?
    > I'd almost be happy with a good Google search string, but of course
    > the actual words presented on a virtual silver platter would be
    > preferred.
    >
    > TIA

    Install a 'boot manager' in the MBR of the 'first' hard disc. For
    example <http://gag.sourceforge.net/index.html> which is free.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 11, 2007

  3. Me@

    olfart Guest

    <Me@> wrote in message
    > My friend has an XP box and a Vista box. He wants to be able to boot
    > to either and doesn't want to reformat either to accommodate the
    > other.
    >
    > I want to put both OS's HDD's into the same case and have bios boot to
    > a floppy first, then have some words on the floppy instructing either
    > the Vista or XP to boot, but I am clueless as to what those words
    > might be (although I suspect they might begin with @ECHO OFF).
    >
    > I suspect they would mimic the words required to start Windows 95 from
    > DOS (C:\Windows\win) but again, I don't know what to write.
    >
    > Can you guys tell me what to write, and/or where to find these words?
    > I'd almost be happy with a good Google search string, but of course
    > the actual words presented on a virtual silver platter would be
    > preferred.
    >
    > TIA

    This isn't excactly what you are looking for but I have a Vista/XP setup and
    I just used the boot menu to select the hard drive I want to boot to. One
    word of warning...use device manager to disable the drive you are not using
    for both XP and Vista. If you don't you will have problems with system
    restore if you shoud ever need it. I use a 3rd HD for all my Documents, Data
    etc so I can access it from either O/S
    olfart, Dec 11, 2007
  4. Me@

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:42:20 -0500, Me@y wrote:

    >My friend has an XP box and a Vista box. He wants to be able to boot
    >to either and doesn't want to reformat either to accommodate the

    Much better to do that.

    The nice thing here is gets rid off all the collected rubbish, gives you
    2 nice clean OS install and Vista installed after XP haddles the booting
    menus automatically.

    >other.

    You have at least 2 disks both with a primary active bootable partition
    from different PCs

    A single PC generally won't know how to access both. If there is a BIOS
    option you can select to boot from HDD0 or HDD1, not nice as you have to
    edit the BIOS setting each time.

    Both drives in thier own USB external case, and boot that way connecting
    / disconnecting as needed. Not something I would think about doing but
    may work.

    >I want to put both OS's HDD's into the same case and have bios boot to
    >a floppy first, then have some words on the floppy instructing either

    You are serious?

    >the Vista or XP to boot, but I am clueless as to what those words

    You want to boot from 1 HDD with a partition manager that swaps the
    active partitions around. Again would be best with a small bootable
    partition then partitions for the 2 OS.

    >might be (although I suspect they might begin with @ECHO OFF).

    You are serious?

    >I suspect they would mimic the words required to start Windows 95 from

    By now, you can guess NOT :)

    >DOS (C:\Windows\win) but again, I don't know what to write.

    Getting sillier.

    However the floppy method works for Linux very well. Can't think of
    anything offhand that works on a floppy for XP/Vista.

    >Can you guys tell me what to write, and/or where to find these words?
    >I'd almost be happy with a good Google search string, but of course
    >the actual words presented on a virtual silver platter would be
    >preferred.

    Won't work.

    Going with the @echo off method, IMO don't try boot managers either it's
    not something you want to try.

    Me
    why?, Dec 11, 2007
  5. Me@

    Guest

    Me@y wrote:

    >My friend has an XP box and a Vista box. He wants to be able to boot
    >to either and doesn't want to reformat either to accommodate the
    >other.
    >
    >I want to put both OS's HDD's into the same case and have bios boot to
    >a floppy first, then have some words on the floppy instructing either
    >the Vista or XP to boot, but I am clueless as to what those words
    >might be (although I suspect they might begin with @ECHO OFF).

    Google" dual boot vista xp

    Gets this as one hit:
    http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista

    You don't need to separate the drives, you can have vista and XP on
    the same drive, different partitions (I'm pretty sure, it's how my
    dual boots work).

    Other than the restore problem mentioned no problems and you will be
    met with the option of which OS to boot from.

    As for the restore problem use ERUNT and don't worry about it.

    -tho I read that vista's restore is much more functional than before.

    --

    http://www.yadogg.com/ups/cantendwell.jpg
    , Dec 11, 2007