    After a while I got tired of this and was hoping you guys could figure out
    what to do.

    Regards, Kim

    Kim Stahnke, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Are Windows XP x86 (32-bit) and Windows x64 installed on the hard disk to
    separate folders?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 17, 2005

  3. Kim Stahnke

    Kim Stahnke Guest

    They are on separate partitions on the same physical drive, that is XP x86
    on drive C:\WINDOWS and x64 on drive D:\WINDOWS
    /Kim

    Kim Stahnke, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Did you, by any chance, use the same computer name for both boots? If so,
    that's the problem. You need to go into whichever one is NOT working, change
    the name, and rejoin the domain. Depending on how hosed it is, you may need
    to remove both of them from the domain, change both names to something new
    (and different from each other) and then rejoin them to the domain.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Kim Stahnke

    Kim Stahnke Guest

    I did - they both have the same computername. I'll try and give the
    nonworking one another name, it really does not matter which, and try again.
    I suppose the problem is the information about the computer stored on the
    server thet is responsible for the problems?

    Thanks,
    Kim

    Kim Stahnke, Nov 17, 2005
  6. The issue is that each computer needs to have a UNIQUE computer account in
    the domain. So when machine #1 (name machine_a) gets joined, it is assigned
    an SID, and that SID is linked to a DNS name and a NetBIOS name. Now, when
    you try to log in with machine #2(name machine_a), and join it to the
    domain, it has a different SID (security identifier, guaranteed to be
    globally unique), and _that_ SID gets linked to the DNS and NetBIOS names.
    Now, go back to the first one, and the domain controller says "you claim to
    be machine_a, but your SID is wrong, so no way am I letting you in."

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 17, 2005
  7. Kim Stahnke

    Kim Stahnke Guest

    Simple, really.

    Thanks Charlie.

    Kim Stahnke, Nov 17, 2005
  8. Yes, it is. But an easy one to miss if you haven't spent much time dual
    booting or working on a domain.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 18, 2005
  9. "Thats the sound of man, working on a domain, yeah-eee-yeah"

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 18, 2005
  10. Andre, update your mp3's. ;)

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 18, 2005
  11. LOL! :-D

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 18, 2005