Dual Boot ? Compaq

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    yesterday i installed XP on a Compaq celeron 633 that had Win ME factory
    installed on the C: drive. the machine's owner told me i could "blow away"
    the
    ME installation, but i told them i'd set it up as dual boot if possible

    the machine already had a small D: partition...
    so basically all i had to do was use partition magic to reduce the C: drive
    and expand the D:

    when i used partition magic i noticed that the D: drive was properly
    identified
    but the "C:" drive merely was labeled with a "star" (or asterisk ) and not
    given
    the letter "C:" as expected.

    at any rate XP installed fine however there was no option to boot to ME
    (even if i manually added that choice to boot.ini)

    the only way i could run ME was to boot with a floppy and do a sys C:
    which of course made XP unbootable so i had to run fixboot from the
    recovery console (which then made ME unbootable)

    i know that on the older Compaq machines, there was an onboard "bios"
    partition...but this machine had none viewable from partition magic. does
    anyone know it Compaq now uses their own drive overlay perhaps?

    at any rate ME is now gone from the boot option
    but if there was any data their the owner needs, he can still get at it.

    Note: even though he had given me permission to "blow away" the ME
    installtion..i'm glad i kept it. he had somehow forgotten about the data
    base he kept their with over 5000 entries now recovered to his XP
    installtion !!!!!

    philo, Jun 5, 2004

  2. philo

    Parko Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 04:12:09 -0500, philo wrote:

    > Note: even though he had given me permission to "blow away" the ME
    > installtion..i'm glad i kept it. he had somehow forgotten about the data
    > base he kept their with over 5000 entries now recovered to his XP
    > installtion !!!!!

    That's a lot of *ahem* .jpegs...

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Jun 5, 2004

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    > That's a lot of *ahem* .jpegs...

    the guy owns a bookstore, however it's not *that* kind of bookstore.

    philo, Jun 5, 2004