Dual boot appears to be hosed?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Don, Jul 25, 2008.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Hey gang,

    I have been running Vista Ultimate 64 bit, dual booting with XP Pro 32 bit,
    since about mid March.

    I dual boot, and used Easy BCD Creator, to create my dual boot menu upon
    bootup, which has worked very well.

    I went out of town on Tuesday, and when I got home yesterday evening,
    noticed that it booted directly into Vista 64, without giving me the option
    to boot into XP.

    I went into Easy BCD Creator, and added the XP boot to it, then when I tried
    to boot, I got the option, however when I chose XP, it simply flashes
    quickly and then reboots.
    It simply will not boot into XP Pro any longer - no problems booting into
    Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

    It is not a dire thing for me right now, as I have pretty much migrated over
    to Vista 64 now, I like it better and it does everything I want without
    problem.
    But it bothers me, as to why this has happened.

    I tried system restore, to a point before I left town where I knew it worked
    ok, but that did nothing. ( yes, I have the Vista partitions hidden from
    XP).

    I guess I could just wipe the XP partition and move on, but would prefer to
    get it back up and running properly if at all possible.

    Any ideas on what I might could do to get XP to boot? I do have a system
    image of all my partitions on an external usb drive, I use Acronis True
    Image on about a weekly basis, perhaps I should try restoring just the XP
    partition?

    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

    --
    Don
    Don, Jul 25, 2008

  2. Don

    Andy Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 06:14:18 -0500, "Don"
    <> wrote:

    >Hey gang,
    >
    >I have been running Vista Ultimate 64 bit, dual booting with XP Pro 32 bit,
    >since about mid March.
    >
    >I dual boot, and used Easy BCD Creator, to create my dual boot menu upon
    >bootup, which has worked very well.
    >
    >I went out of town on Tuesday, and when I got home yesterday evening,
    >noticed that it booted directly into Vista 64, without giving me the option
    >to boot into XP.
    >
    >I went into Easy BCD Creator, and added the XP boot to it, then when I tried
    >to boot, I got the option, however when I chose XP, it simply flashes
    >quickly and then reboots.
    >It simply will not boot into XP Pro any longer - no problems booting into
    >Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
    >
    >It is not a dire thing for me right now, as I have pretty much migrated over
    >to Vista 64 now, I like it better and it does everything I want without
    >problem.
    >But it bothers me, as to why this has happened.
    >
    >I tried system restore, to a point before I left town where I knew it worked
    >ok, but that did nothing. ( yes, I have the Vista partitions hidden from
    >XP).
    >
    >I guess I could just wipe the XP partition and move on, but would prefer to
    >get it back up and running properly if at all possible.
    >
    >Any ideas on what I might could do to get XP to boot? I do have a system
    >image of all my partitions on an external usb drive, I use Acronis True
    >Image on about a weekly basis, perhaps I should try restoring just the XP
    >partition?
    >
    >Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

    Some of the things I would have done are

    1. Check the contents of the BCD store using the bcdedit command.
    C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit

    Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {bootmgr}
    device partition=H:
    default {current}
    displayorder {current}
    {ntldr}
    timeout 30

    Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {current}
    device partition=C:
    path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    osdevice partition=C:
    systemroot \Windows
    resumeobject {71be6e6a-e883-11dc-bf08-806e6f6e6963}

    Windows Legacy OS Loader
    ------------------------
    identifier {ntldr}
    device boot
    path \ntldr
    description Windows XP

    C:\Windows\system32>

    2. Check the contents of the Windows system partition to see if all of
    the files that should be there are and are not corrupted.
    H:\sources\x86\Sources>dir /ah c:\
    Volume in drive C is Vista
    Volume Serial Number is 8C9C-B4A5

    Directory of C:\

    03/01/2008 02:47 PM <DIR> $Recycle.Bin
    03/01/2008 05:24 PM <DIR> Boot
    03/01/2008 03:50 PM 211 boot.ini
    11/02/2006 01:53 AM 438,840 bootmgr
    11/02/2006 05:00 AM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings
    08/03/2004 01:38 PM 47,564 NTDETECT.COM
    08/03/2004 01:59 PM 250,032 ntldr
    03/01/2008 02:39 PM 2,147,016,704 hiberfil.sys
    11/02/2006 05:00 AM <DIR> ProgramData
    03/01/2008 04:12 PM <DIR> System Volume Information
    7 File(s) 2,147,823,143 bytes
    5 Dir(s) 23,533,060,096 bytes free

    H:\sources\x86\Sources>

    3. Check the contents of boot.ini.
    Andy, Jul 26, 2008

  3. Don

    Don Guest

    "Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
> [...]

    > identifier {ntldr}
    > device boot
    > path \ntldr
    > description Windows XP
    >
    > C:\Windows\system32>
    >
    > 2. Check the contents of the Windows system partition to see if all of
    > the files that should be there are and are not corrupted.
    > H:\sources\x86\Sources>dir /ah c:\
    > Volume in drive C is Vista
    > Volume Serial Number is 8C9C-B4A5
    >
    > Directory of C:\
    >
    > 03/01/2008 02:47 PM <DIR> $Recycle.Bin
    > 03/01/2008 05:24 PM <DIR> Boot
    > 03/01/2008 03:50 PM 211 boot.ini
    > 11/02/2006 01:53 AM 438,840 bootmgr
    > 11/02/2006 05:00 AM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings
    > 08/03/2004 01:38 PM 47,564 NTDETECT.COM
    > 08/03/2004 01:59 PM 250,032 ntldr
    > 03/01/2008 02:39 PM 2,147,016,704 hiberfil.sys
    > 11/02/2006 05:00 AM <DIR> ProgramData
    > 03/01/2008 04:12 PM <DIR> System Volume Information

    Thanks Andy, the wife and I have been out of town for the weekend, just got
    back and I have to leave again in the morning on business, I will check
    these out as soon as I can upon my return.
    Thanks for the info!

    --
    Don
    Don, Jul 28, 2008
  4. Don

    N Brown Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    > Hey gang,
    >
    > I have been running Vista Ultimate 64 bit, dual booting with XP Pro 32
    > bit, since about mid March.
    >
    > I dual boot, and used Easy BCD Creator, to create my dual boot menu upon
    > bootup, which has worked very well.
    >
    > I went out of town on Tuesday, and when I got home yesterday evening,
    > noticed that it booted directly into Vista 64, without giving me the
    > option to boot into XP.
    >
    > I went into Easy BCD Creator, and added the XP boot to it, then when I
    > tried to boot, I got the option, however when I chose XP, it simply
    > flashes quickly and then reboots.
    > It simply will not boot into XP Pro any longer - no problems booting into
    > Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
    >
    > It is not a dire thing for me right now, as I have pretty much migrated
    > over to Vista 64 now, I like it better and it does everything I want
    > without problem.
    > But it bothers me, as to why this has happened.
    >
    > I tried system restore, to a point before I left town where I knew it
    > worked ok, but that did nothing. ( yes, I have the Vista partitions hidden
    > from XP).
    >
    > I guess I could just wipe the XP partition and move on, but would prefer
    > to get it back up and running properly if at all possible.
    >
    > Any ideas on what I might could do to get XP to boot? I do have a system
    > image of all my partitions on an external usb drive, I use Acronis True
    > Image on about a weekly basis, perhaps I should try restoring just the XP
    > partition?
    >
    > Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    >

    > --
    > Don

    I would wipe XP, delete that partiton and ise it for Vista. Do a fresh
    install of Vista.
    It's what I did and am very happy.

    If yours is like mine was, XP=Primary partition, Vista=extended partition I
    would delete both
    partition and when you install you can create 1 large simple volume.

    If you absolutely want to keep as is you should be able to reinstall xp
    them boot to Vista DVD and repair startup.
    Remember that Vista has boot files on the primary boot partition.
    N Brown, Aug 8, 2008