Dual-Boot and running Applications on both OSes

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=, Oct 7, 2005.

  1. I would like to dual boot my machine with installing Windows XP 32 bit first
    on C drive and then installing Windows XP 64 bit on the D drive. The C and D
    drive will be two partitions on the same hard drive. I will then have a
    second hard drive that I would like to use for storage of files, documents,
    spreadsheets, music, pics and etc. Now I have a few questions regarding this
    setup.

    1. Will each OS see the other OSes partition? My thinking is yes. Will this
    cause a problem if I were to copy files from one OS partition to the other
    OSes partition? Will their be any file corruption?

    2. Is there a way to hide the other OSes partition from the active
    partition? Should this be done?

    3. If I install the same applications on both OSes, will I be able to open
    files they use without any problems or concerns without conflict or
    corruption? I would like to be able to access my programs from either OS as I
    play with Windows XP 64 bit but do not want to risk corrupting my files in
    the process.

    4. If I am running an antivirus/antispyware software on the Windows XP 32
    bit OS that does not support the 64 bit OS, will that cause problems while I
    am in the 32 bit OS. For example, if the antivirus program scans for viruses,
    will it wreak havoc on the 64 bit partition? Will it just be a matter (if
    possible) of not allowing the antivirus software to scan the 64 bit partition.

    Thanks in advance.

    Steve

    =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=, Oct 7, 2005

  2. Answers inline:
    "smlamarre" <> wrote in message
    >I would like to dual boot my machine with installing Windows XP 32 bit
    >first
    > on C drive and then installing Windows XP 64 bit on the D drive. The C and
    > drive will be two partitions on the same hard drive. I will then have a
    > second hard drive that I would like to use for storage of files,
    > documents,
    > spreadsheets, music, pics and etc. Now I have a few questions regarding
    > this
    > setup.
    >
    > 1. Will each OS see the other OSes partition? My thinking is yes. Will
    > this
    > cause a problem if I were to copy files from one OS partition to the other
    > OSes partition? Will their be any file corruption?

    Yes, once they are both NTFS Partitions, they will see each other.

    > 2. Is there a way to hide the other OSes partition from the active
    > partition? Should this be done?

    No, well not that I know of, but you could limit access to drive using the
    disk qouta options of the drive properties.

    > 3. If I install the same applications on both OSes, will I be able to open
    > files they use without any problems or concerns without conflict or
    > corruption? I would like to be able to access my programs from either OS
    > as I
    > play with Windows XP 64 bit but do not want to risk corrupting my files in
    > the process.

    Well, thats how a lot of persons have been doing it. You can have say,
    Microsoft Office installed on one partition and launch either Word or Excel
    from either OS by access the installation folder from Microsoft Office. I
    still think you will have to re-run setup though just to repair any files
    that might need to be registered with the system. So, if you installed
    Office from XP x86 onto the application partition, you would have to run the
    setup again in XP x64 but just install it to same Office folder on the
    application partition.

    > 4. If I am running an antivirus/antispyware software on the Windows XP 32
    > bit OS that does not support the 64 bit OS, will that cause problems while
    > am in the 32 bit OS. For example, if the antivirus program scans for
    > viruses,
    > will it wreak havoc on the 64 bit partition? Will it just be a matter (if
    > possible) of not allowing the antivirus software to scan the 64 bit
    > partition.

    You should have an option in your AntiVirus program to exclude certain
    partitions.

    HTHs

    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 7, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    1. Yes. Both systems you list will see any type of file system. Copying
    works fine.
    2. You can 'hide' the other OS by using Disk Management and removing the
    drive letter. Then you won't be able to do 1. You can always restore it if
    you want to. There is no reason I can think of to do this.
    3. If you are going to share the files across system, Andre is correct,
    many do that. Others have totally duplicate systems and have independent
    files for each. There is no corruption.
    4. You should have no problems here, except as noted elsewhere, there will
    sometimes be accurate or bogus viruses reported by one program about the
    other drive. You can do what Andre suggested and have each only scan their
    own systems and the common drive if you wish.

    John Barnes, Oct 7, 2005
  4. Thanks Andre. I appreciate the feed back.

    In regards to installing applications, I was planning on installing (for
    example Office) it both on the 32 bit OS and 64 bit OS. My concern was if I
    open an excel spreadsheet and make changes and save it while using the 64 bit
    OS then later do the same on the 32 bit OS, will that cause any corruption to
    the file as I switch back and forth from the two different platforms?

    smlamarre

    =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=, Oct 7, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    No problem. Many here do this every day and nobody has reported corruption.

    John Barnes, Oct 7, 2005
  6. Hello smlamarre,

    > In regards to installing applications, I was planning on installing
    > (for example Office) it both on the 32 bit OS and 64 bit OS. My
    > concern was if I open an excel spreadsheet and make changes and save
    > it while using the 64 bit OS then later do the same on the 32 bit OS,
    > will that cause any corruption to the file as I switch back and forth
    > from the two different platforms?

    No it won't. It's just like you'd open the document from another PC on the
    network.

    Niel

    Niels Berglund, Oct 7, 2005
  7. Thanks everyone. Again I appreciate the feedback so now it is time to play
    and enjoy. I have been running Windows XP 64 on a separate hard drive and
    disconnecting my Windows XP 32 Pro as a precaution. I am must say, I am very
    impressed with Windows XP 64 so far. It seems to run fasterand load programs
    faster. I would switch completely to Windows XP 64 but I still need to print
    and from what I read on the forum, vendors are taking their sweet time to
    produce drivers for them. I can wait though.

    Thanks Again.

    =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=, Oct 7, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If your printer is the only problem, what is the printer, do you need great
    print for photos, or very good print for documents? Anyway, printers are
    pretty inexpensive to avoid the hassle for that alone unless that is your
    business.

    John Barnes, Oct 7, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=

    wes40oz Guest

    just be warned,

    I have a duel boot system similar to this set up, but I'm not sharing apps.
    But the point of this post comes from my past posts.
    when I installed x64 edition, it booted fine
    then I installed x32 edition and I would get the ntoskrnl.exe error (the
    win32 edition over wrote NTLDR and NTdetect.com on the x64 drive)
    I recopied these files many times.
    got it fixed, made both files (32 bit and 64 bit versions )READ ONLY and
    have not had a problem, also keep a copy of hal.dll from the x64 system32
    directory backed up, I have my backed up on my root on both OS's drives in a
    back up folder with the OS version listed on it to avoid mistakes (I have
    NTLDR, NTdetect, hall.dll and boot.ini sorted in there) so I can copy it
    back over when needed from the other OS

    as of now everything is working right.
    they only problem not related to the OS's is bootng (great boot loader!!)
    keeps going to the boot menu's on the 6x edition, but that just needs
    tweaking and some clean up in the boot.ini file

    wes

    wes40oz, Oct 7, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    A couple of points. You only need the ntldr and ntdetect.com from the x64
    version as they will boot both systems. The boot.ini that you see at boot
    up is the one on the system drive. That is the active partition of the
    first drive in your boot priority in the BIOS. You can see that in Disk
    Management. You can tweak it in System Properties most easily.

    John Barnes, Oct 7, 2005
  11. I thought that as long as you are running XP x86 SP2 and XP x64 SP1, these
    two (NTLDR and NTdetect.com), should not matter? Am I confused?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 7, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    These two files must be from the x64 system to boot the x64 system (also
    will boot x86) These two files from the x86 system will NOT boot the x64
    system, only the x86 system. That is why it is recommended to install x86
    first then x64. The x64 install will replace the files on the system drive
    with the x64 versions of these files.

    John Barnes, Oct 7, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=

    Rick Guest

    They differ in that the files from XP x86 cannot recognize Win x64. So
    if the x86 files are on the C: drive it will not be able to detect x64
    anywhere on the system.

    Rick, Oct 7, 2005
  14. As others have pointed out, the x64 versions are required. Which is why the
    installation order is important if you don't want to have to muck around
    with copying files over.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 7, 2005
  15. Thanks guys. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 7, 2005
  16. Sorry John that it took so long to get back. Anyhow, I do not have a printer
    now put I am planning on buying the Canon MP800 for both scanning, copying
    and printing both photos and docs. I do not think Canon has x64 drivers as of
    yet but I will have to wait and see. The printer will be released this month
    so maybe it will. Then again maybe it wont. Will see. By the way, I have it
    up and running on one hard drive both OSes and I have installed a few
    applications on both OSes without any problems so far. It is working
    great!!!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=, Oct 8, 2005
  17. On another note. I did install an application to monitor hard drive temps on
    the x32 OS. It works fine. Later I then booted to the x64 OS and for laughs,
    I went to the OS x32 partition and launched the program. It worked. The
    program is designed to startup on boot up on the x32 OS. Now, everytime I
    start the x64 OS, it starts automatically. I am not complaining because it is
    something I would like to have happen but it was weird that the automatic
    startup has now been transfered to the x64 OS w/o installing it on it. I did
    not expect that.

    Any thoughts?

    =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=, Oct 8, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    There is probably an option somewhere in the program to run at startup.
    Often some obscure check box. I had one that the checkbox was on a screen
    that flashed for 2 seconds at startup. Just remember when you eliminate
    your x32 system that you are going to have to turn it off in MSCONFIG or
    delete the entry in regedit.

    John Barnes, Oct 8, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Looks like a nice unit. Canon has started on the top of the line printers.
    Wouldn't expect them to have them for scanning for some time. Hopefully it
    has direct copy.

    John Barnes, Oct 8, 2005