  1. I installed a copy of Windows 32 bit system on the same partition as a copy
    of Windows 64 bit edition, and now I would like to remove the 32 bit OS
    completely without reformating the partition, how do I do that?

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dGhldw==?=, Mar 8, 2006

  2. Delete the folder in which you installed the 32-bit Windows or format the
    drive and start over.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 8, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dGhldw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    But won't his Documents and Settings be a mess unless he reformats and
    starts over?

    John Barnes, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Depends on how he installed it, I remember installing NT 4 and 2000
    Professional on the same partition, but what I did was create a directory on
    the same disk on which NT 4 was installed for 2000 Pro.

    So, I had, D:\WINNT, D:\WINNT5 and installed 2000 Pro to the WINNT5 folder
    and all data was kept separate. I don't know if thats what Matthew did, so
    more information would be nice. But if he followed a similar approach as I
    did, all he would have to do is just delete the folder in which XP
    Professional x86 is installed. Before doing that though, back up any data
    create a root folder and copy the data into it. He could then edit the boot
    manager to reflect the changes.

    But, I definitely would recommend doing a clean install though, its worth it
    in the long run. Create a dedicated partition for both operating systems and
    you should be fine.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 8, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dGhldw==?=

    John John Guest

    NT4 stores user Documents and Settings in
    [drive]:\WINNT\Profiles\UserName. Windows 2000/XP stores it in
    [drive]:\Documents and Settings\Username. So conceivably as John said
    his Documents and Settings might be a mess. As for the %systemroot%
    folder by default on Windows NT and Windows 2000 it is WINNT. On XP it
    is Windows.

    John

    John John, Mar 8, 2006
  6. If yoiu installed them on the same partition, I would STRONGLY recommend
    starting over. You will never have a supportable system, and I seriously
    doubt that it will behave correctly.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 8, 2006
  7. He should not simply delete the folder. There are all sorts of parts of this
    that will not be supportable, including but not limited to Program Files
    directory.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 8, 2006
  8. I know that, thats why I installed it in a directory I created called WINNT5

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 8, 2006
  9. Yeah I forgot about that, but that is if he is sharing the Programs Files
    directory between both operating systems, if not, the only vital thing here
    is the data in the Windows 32-bit accounts on that system.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 8, 2006
  10. He can't NOT share them. It's the nature of the install. This can NEVER be a
    supported system. We've tried to be very clear from the beginning -
    different architectures MUST be on different partitions. Period. (yes, in
    the old days, you could get away with this - 32-bit to 32-bit. but this
    isn't 32-bit to 32-bit.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 8, 2006
  11. > He can't NOT share them. It's the nature of the install.

    This is true with the deault install disks.
    However, using third party slipstream tools (e.g. nLite) it is possible to
    rename the Program Files and Settings directories.
    For example, they could be moved to be within the OS dir thus isolating each
    OS.

    ....cmk

    Chris Kushnir, Mar 8, 2006
  12. Hello,
    Charlie is correct. We cannot support this.
    Since he installed 32-bit Windows after installing 64-bit Windows, his
    \Programs Files folder now contains a mixture of both 32-bit and 64-bit
    files.
    This will only cause additional problems later on. Most ot the 64-bit
    files located in \Program Files were now overwritten with 32-bit files
    Really the only option here should be to back up all data then format the
    drive and start over again.
    Attempting to repair this would be problematic and doubtful we could ever
    get 64-bit Windows or even 32-bit Windows working correctly again without
    any issues.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: Dual boot 32/64 system
    <Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 11:34:04 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <supported system. We've tried to be very clear from the beginning -
    <different architectures MUST be on different partitions. Period. (yes, in
    <the old days, you could get away with this - 32-bit to 32-bit. but this
    <isn't 32-bit to 32-bit.)
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    <> Yeah I forgot about that, but that is if he is sharing the Programs Files
    <> directory between both operating systems, if not, the only vital thing
    <> here is the data in the Windows 32-bit accounts on that system.
    <> --
    <>
    <> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    <> news:...
    <>> He should not simply delete the folder. There are all sorts of parts of
    <>> this that will not be supportable, including but not limited to Program
    <>> Files directory.
    <>>
    <>> --
    <>> Charlie.
    <>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <>>
    <>> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    <>>> Delete the folder in which you installed the 32-bit Windows or format
    <>>> the drive and start over.
    <>>> --
    <>>>
    <>>> news:...

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Mar 8, 2006
  13. Ooooh, be still my heart. I live for those "Charlie is correct" messages!
    <G>

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 8, 2006
  14. Well I was only being theoretical, I wouldn't recommend it to the faint of
    heart to do such a thing of course. :)

    And I did recommend doing a clean install:
    "But, I definitely would recommend doing a clean install though, its worth
    it
    in the long run. Create a dedicated partition for both operating systems and
    you should be fine."

    ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 8, 2006
  15. Slight "mis-speak". I am sure you meant:
    Create a dedicated partition for _each_ operating system and you should
    be fine.

    The idea that you want a separate partition for each system.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    | Well I was only being theoretical, I wouldn't recommend it to the faint
    of
    | heart to do such a thing of course. :)
    |
    | And I did recommend doing a clean install:
    | "But, I definitely would recommend doing a clean install though, its
    worth
    | it
    | in the long run. Create a dedicated partition for both operating
    systems and
    | you should be fine."
    |
    | ;-)
    | --
    | --
    | Andre
    | Windows Connect | http://www.windowsconnected.com
    | Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    | Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    | http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    |
    | "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    message

    Thomas Ferguson, Mar 9, 2006
  16. Correct, thank you Tom. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 9, 2006
  17. Yes, we just all need to be clear and consistent with the message. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 9, 2006
  18. yes. And it STILL wouldn't be a supported or smart solution. Sorry, this is
    just a bad idea.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 9, 2006
  19. Hello,
    Correct again. What happens is that some applications are hard-coded to
    install to program files. So they will still write to the program files
    folder whether it's 64-bit or 32-bit. So the potential for overwriting
    files still exists or mixing 32-bit and 64-bit files in the same locations.
    Both platforms of Windows also use \Documents and Settings which can cause
    additional confusion and thus potentially other problems.
    Sure it can be modified so that it appears to work, but the potential risks
    of doing this are high.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>