    After installing Vista 64 Ultimate I learnt few devices dont have the 64-bit
    drivers available. Can I install the 32-bit Vista and tranfer all of my
    setting until the 64-bit drivers are ready?

    Jamshid, Jan 10, 2008

  2. You can use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer your settings. You can install
    Windows Vista 32-bit, assuming you have a retail copy not an OEM copy of
    Windows Vista. You can't, technically and legally, "dual boot" unless you
    have two copies of Windows Vista.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 10, 2008

  3. Jamshid

    Jamshid Guest

    Yes, I have retail copy of Ultimate with two DVDs. Let me make sure I
    understand what you are saying:
    1- I install the 32-bit version on my hard darive.
    2- I run the easy transfer utility (Where do I find it?)
    The 32-bit will have all the setting copied from the 64-bit?

    Would it possible to do a transfer to 64-bit setup at a later time?
    Thx.

    Jamshid, Jan 11, 2008
  4. Click START and type "windows easy transfer" in the Start/Run box and then
    click Enter (or click on the WET icon at the top of the menu pane).

    WET is also on the dvd. To use WET from the dvd insert the dvd while
    running your present desktop. Click Ok to run Setup when the Autorun box
    appears. When the Installation splash screen appears, look on the lower
    left and click on "Transfer files and settings from another computer." That
    starts the WET wizard.

    WET is both x86 and x64 compatible. After the transfer is finished on the
    "old" computer, cancel the splash screen, install the other version of
    Vista, then use the WET wizard again to transfer to the "new" computer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 11, 2008
  5. What Colin said. Run it on the "old" computer first, saving the files
    someplace safe and reachable. Install 32-bit, and run it again to suck them
    back.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 11, 2008
  6. A word of warning about going from x64 to x86. I have done this. Don't run
    the x86 Setup from the desktop of the x64 system. Boot with the x86 dvd and
    use the disk tools to delete the partition, recreate it, and then install
    x86 using Custom Install (Upgrade Install will be disabled anyway).

    I don't think this scenario was tested adequately if at all because x86
    Setup does NOT roll up the x64 Windows folders into a windows.old folder
    like it is supposed to with the result that you will have both Program Files
    and Program Files (x86) folders (with software still intact) on an x86
    system. That is an impossible setup to sort out. The computer seems to
    handle it OK but the user is driven to distraction by it. You won't want to
    have to live with that kind of layout.

    If you don't follow this, just take my word for it and install x86 on a
    re-created partition.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 11, 2008
  7. Very good point - this really needs a wiped partition.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 11, 2008