    Guy Smith Guest

    Is there any reason why I should not attach two antennas to my AP? i.e. one
    yagi and one omni directional via a splitter in the coaxial.

    Guy Smith, Mar 19, 2005

  2. Guy Smith

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    The radios in the Entry Level Wireless Hardware are rated 30mW, not too much
    too spilt there, in addition the Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) would probably
    kill any gain from such arrangement. By time you are done with pigtails and
    adaptors is will cost more than buying an inexpensive Wireless Cable/DSL
    Router and using it as an Access Point. Put the Yagi on your current unit
    and use the second one as the omni.

    Wireless Router as an AP: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Mar 19, 2005

  3. Guy Smith

    Guy Smith Guest

    Thank you for you reply. I have read your links with interest.

    I have a D-Link DWL800AP+ configured as a repeater and have attached a 5dB
    antenna to it and am trying to connect to a wireless client; 200m away, with
    line of site, Orinoco wireless card and 8dB high gain yagi antenna. This
    setup will not connect at distance - drops at around 150m.

    The reason I asked the original question was that I thought that maybe the
    setup would work with a yagi antenna on the roof (giving even better line)
    and the repeater itself in the loft but I was concerned with the repeater
    not being able to received the signal from the base station (D-Link
    DSL604+). Have you any suggestions please?

    Guy Smith, Mar 20, 2005
  4. Guy Smith

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    The 800AP+ is an 802.11b unit, I do not know how close it is to the initial
    source, but might assume that it already gets in less than a full signal.

    Pass the Repeater the bandwidth is cut into half, so the resultant is
    probably a low signal.

    I would consider it lucky that it even goes as far as 150m.

    In general you get much better result if the Directional Antenna is on the
    source (I.e. the repeater in this case) rather then the client (i.e. the
    Orinoco card).

    If I had to install such a system I would use 802.11g to insure a better
    bandwidth.

    I would install an AP as a client,(
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ) feeding on the spot a second AP
    in regular gateway mode. The second AP should have a directional Antenna
    point to the distance site. By doing so you actually creating a Repeater
    from two AP, and since this combination have two radios you do not lose
    Bandwidth.

    If necessary the client AP can be equipped with a directional Antenna
    pointing toward the original place of the initial source.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Mar 20, 2005