    --
    Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
    Bloomington, MN <<to email, remove the "q" from address>>

    Monte Castleman, Oct 11, 2004

  2. Monte Castleman

    Biz Guest

    "Monte Castleman" <> wrote in message
    news:r1Aad.348$...
    > I noticed that DTS is becoming a mandatory part of Blu-Ray and HD, which
    > brought up a few questions:
    >
    > 1. I was thinking about buying a high quality standalone DTS decoder to
    > go with my standalone Dolby Digital decoder.

    What make/model standalone DD decoder do you have?

    Can you list some that are available?

    Do present day DTS decoders
    > support the proposed losslessly compressed extension?

    It is doubtful that any currently available equipment is already capable of
    decoding a compression algorithm that is not even approved yet...

    Biz, Oct 11, 2004

  3. >What make/model standalone DD decoder do you have?

    I have a Denon AVD-2000.

    >Can you list some that are available?

    Don't know what's available now, but Technics made some also. I found out
    that Denon made the AVD-1000, a DTS only decoder designed as a companion for
    the 2000. I was thinking about looking for one on the used market, even
    though only a handful of the discs I have now have DTS.

    I think the reasons for the lack of stand alone options today are that
    decoders started to become common on DVD players, that laserdisc went away
    (DD or DTS decoders were never built into mainstream laserdisc players), and
    many audiophiles look down on home theater. The market for people that want
    something better than the cheap decoders in DVD players is not great.

    Monte Castleman, Oct 11, 2004
  4. Monte Castleman

    > >What make/model standalone DD decoder do you have?

    > I have a Denon AVD-2000.
    > >
    > >Can you list some that are available?

    > Don't know what's available now, but Technics made some also. I found out
    > that Denon made the AVD-1000, a DTS only decoder designed as a companion

    for
    > the 2000. I was thinking about looking for one on the used market, even
    > though only a handful of the discs I have now have DTS.

    Thats why I asked you to list some standalone decoders. I dont think anyone
    makes just a DD decoder or just a DTS decoder anymore. In fact, there arent
    even that many standalone decoders available new anymore. In fact I know of
    none in the mainstream a/v market. There may be some ultra-expensive
    esoteric stuff still but truthfully its out of my range and radar. Now
    given their age, I really doubt any of the older models can compete with the
    processing chips on the modern even moderately-priced a/v recievers.

    > I think the reasons for the lack of stand alone options today are that
    > decoders started to become common on DVD players, that laserdisc went away
    > (DD or DTS decoders were never built into mainstream laserdisc players),

    and
    > many audiophiles look down on home theater. The market for people that

    want
    > something better than the cheap decoders in DVD players is not great.

    Like I said above all the decent a/v recievers from say Denon, Yamaha, H/K,
    Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, etc..are probably far better and more heavily
    featured than your old Denon standalone processor.

    I have had several standalone processors in the past, a Technics AC-300,
    AC-500, Yamaha DDP-1, DDP-2.

    I have none of that stuff anymore and use the processing built-in to my a/v
    recievers. I never looked back...

    I can probably safely say you would come to the same conlcusions as well...

    Biz, Oct 11, 2004
  5. Monte Castleman

    poldy Guest

    In article <r1Aad.348$>,
    Monte Castleman <> wrote:

    > I noticed that DTS is becoming a mandatory part of Blu-Ray and HD, which
    > brought up a few questions:
    >
    > 1. I was thinking about buying a high quality standalone DTS decoder to
    > go with my standalone Dolby Digital decoder. Do present day DTS decoders
    > support the proposed losslessly compressed extension?
    >
    > 2. Will the Blu-ray players provide two digital outputs like some
    > present DVD players- one for my present Dolby Digital Decoder and one
    > for a future DTS decoder. I know digital format converters provide two
    > ouputs from one, but that's yet another box.

    Actually there's talk that both formats, Blu-ray and HD-DVD, will
    require Internet connections so that you can get authorization to play
    back discs you buy.

    The return of Divx...

    poldy, Oct 13, 2004
  6. Monte Castleman

    Mike Kohary Guest

    poldy wrote:

    > Actually there's talk that both formats, Blu-ray and HD-DVD, will
    > require Internet connections so that you can get authorization to play
    > back discs you buy.

    Source?

    Mike Kohary, Oct 13, 2004
  7. >Like I said above all the decent a/v recievers from say Denon, Yamaha, H/K,
    >Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, etc..are probably far better and more heavily
    >featured than your old Denon standalone processor.
    >
    >I have had several standalone processors in the past, a Technics AC-300,
    >AC-500, Yamaha DDP-1, DDP-2.
    >
    >I have none of that stuff anymore and use the processing built-in to my a/v
    >recievers. I never looked back...
    >
    >I can probably safely say you would come to the same conlcusions as well...

    Except I have no use for the amplifier sections in receivers. I can't afford
    high end MOSFET amplifiers, and hate the sound of transistors, so I use tube
    amps.

    Guess I'll be staying with my present decoding equipment and forgoing DTS...

    Monte Castleman, Oct 13, 2004
  8. Monte Castleman

    > >Like I said above all the decent a/v recievers from say Denon, Yamaha,

    H/K,
    > >Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, etc..are probably far better and more heavily
    > >featured than your old Denon standalone processor.
    > >
    > >I have had several standalone processors in the past, a Technics AC-300,
    > >AC-500, Yamaha DDP-1, DDP-2.
    > >
    > >I have none of that stuff anymore and use the processing built-in to my

    a/v
    > >recievers. I never looked back...
    > >
    > >I can probably safely say you would come to the same conlcusions as

    well...

    > Except I have no use for the amplifier sections in receivers. I can't

    afford
    > high end MOSFET amplifiers, and hate the sound of transistors, so I use

    tube
    > amps.
    >
    > Guess I'll be staying with my present decoding equipment and forgoing

    DTS...

    Or wise up and buy an affordable a/v reciever to use as a pre/pro, which
    many tube lovers are doing these days...

    Biz, Oct 13, 2004
  9. Monte Castleman

    > >Like I said above all the decent a/v recievers from say Denon, Yamaha,

    H/K,
    > >Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, etc..are probably far better and more heavily
    > >featured than your old Denon standalone processor.
    > >
    > >I have had several standalone processors in the past, a Technics AC-300,
    > >AC-500, Yamaha DDP-1, DDP-2.
    > >
    > >I have none of that stuff anymore and use the processing built-in to my

    a/v
    > >recievers. I never looked back...
    > >
    > >I can probably safely say you would come to the same conlcusions as

    well...

    > Except I have no use for the amplifier sections in receivers. I can't

    afford
    > high end MOSFET amplifiers, and hate the sound of transistors, so I use

    tube
    > amps.
    >
    > Guess I'll be staying with my present decoding equipment and forgoing

    DTS...

    I should have know there was going to be some strange idiosyncracy with why
    you have clung to some old outdated standalone processor and not purchased
    something that could do DD/DTS and the expanded DD/DTS formats.

    Biz, Oct 14, 2004
  10. Monte Castleman

    poldy Guest

    In article <ckjrft$deu$>, "Mike Kohary" <>
    wrote:

    > poldy wrote:
    > >
    > > Actually there's talk that both formats, Blu-ray and HD-DVD, will
    > > require Internet connections so that you can get authorization to play
    > > back discs you buy.

    > Source?

    There are several discussions at avsforum.com. Do a search there for
    AACS.

    It's not clear if it's to authorize movies or extra content on movie
    discs. If the former, then the players could need connections for
    Internet authorization (although you would think they'd offer a phone-in
    option too). If the latter, maybe it's for people who want to use it on
    a computer to access special web sites and other interactive features.

    Hollywood would do pay-to-play if they thought they could get away with
    it.

    poldy, Oct 17, 2004
  11. Monte Castleman

    Mook23 Guest

    "poldy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ckjrft$deu$>, "Mike Kohary" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > poldy wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Actually there's talk that both formats, Blu-ray and HD-DVD, will
    > > > require Internet connections so that you can get authorization to play
    > > > back discs you buy.

    > > Source?

    > There are several discussions at avsforum.com. Do a search there for
    > AACS.
    >
    > It's not clear if it's to authorize movies or extra content on movie
    > discs. If the former, then the players could need connections for
    > Internet authorization (although you would think they'd offer a phone-in
    > option too). If the latter, maybe it's for people who want to use it on
    > a computer to access special web sites and other interactive features.
    >
    > Hollywood would do pay-to-play if they thought they could get away with
    > it.

    Hmmmm.... seeems like they tried this before and succeeded in ripping off
    consumers who bought into the technology early.

    Mook23, Oct 19, 2004