    --
    Denise

    ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.
    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=, May 16, 2007

  2. MS DTC Service seems to depend on SQL .

    (SQL Server?)

    If you are scratching your head now, go here:

    type in your message and look for something you recognise.

    Tony. . .

    "Denise" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I reformatted my computer. Everything went fine except I received a

    message
    > that said that the DTC service could not be installed. What is DTC, is

    there

    Tony Sperling, May 17, 2007

  3. The link you gave me asked me for the information that I'm asking this forum.
    I don't have a server and I don't know what SQL is.

    I reformatted this drive 2 other times but never received this message.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=, May 17, 2007
  4. SQL = Structured Query Language. Here is an article about it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL
    It is database stuff and there is a version that does not require a server.

    It sounds like you have something on your computer that is trying to run but
    something is blocking a component it needs from starting. What have you
    installed on your computer in addition to the operating system?

    Colin Barnhorst, May 17, 2007
  5. Yes, I know - On the one hand I'm sorry, on the other I'm not.

    There is a saying: "The really nice thing about politicians, is that you can
    instantly see when they are lying. It's when they move their lips!"

    In the same way, the nice thing about Services failing is that they almost
    invariably leave a message in Event Viewer, not every error will appear
    there but a Service error surely will, and that very nearly every single one
    of them are mentioned in the KnowledgeBase. Somewhere!

    Going there, is IT archeology, you look for something - anything that rings
    a bell (however vague) that resembles something that resembles something
    else wich you also are employing, although you may not be aware of it.
    That's the archeology part of it, you don't know what you are looking for.

    Often, the info is so vague you cannot extract anything useful, so the NG's
    are a good resource - personally, I have done a lot of re-formating in my
    day but I have never come across this message, or anything that resembles
    it. If I'm not mistaken, somewhere in there amoung the chaos there was some
    mentioning of Telephony Services, since you probably don't have any SQL
    perhaps this litterally rings the proverbial bell? But there is lots more
    where that came from. Actually, the DTC may well only be a symptom - the
    error you are trying to solve may be something entirely different, your LAN
    perhaps?

    I can really recommend getting to know the KB, it is chaotic since it lists
    everything under the sun, but sometimes it's the only resource that will set
    you off to what is mostly Serendipity anyway. The valuable part of
    Serendipity is that you can only find something if you are looking for
    something, and it doesn't matter what you are looking for. The activity of
    searching is a platform for finding and if you find it, you will not forget
    about it in many a good day.

    Don't judge me too harshly.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 17, 2007
  6. When I reformatted my hard drive, it erased everything that was on the drive.
    After I installed Windows, I received the message immediately. No other
    programs were installed at the time.

    I should have mentioned this in my original post . . . I have Windows XP
    Pro X64, SATA.

    It seems that this message has to do with networking, servers, etc, none of
    which I have. I Googled DTC Service but found nothing except technical
    journals, most of which had nothing to do with computers.

    If it has something to do with Telephony, Telephony is Started and on
    Manual. Two devices depend on Telephony . . . Remote Access Auto Connection
    Manager, which is Stopped and on Manual, and Remote Access Connection
    Manager, which is Started and on Manual. These settings are the default
    settings. I didn't change them.
    ---

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=, May 18, 2007
  7. I can only say this about that . . . phooey!

    If worse comes to worse, I'll reformat it again.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=, May 18, 2007
  8. It seems that there's no known solution to this error message except for
    spending a astronomical amount of time tracking it down and fixing it. But
    thanks for your input.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=, May 18, 2007