Dta Recovery - again

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by tom, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. tom

    tom Guest

    My system - Sony Vaio desktop running XP sp2 - crashed
    I've been able to restore to origional factory configuration.
    All data on C drive was lost.
    Most data on partitioned D drive survived,

    PROBLEM:
    The computer does not recognize the info on my external drive.

    I get a message that the disk is not formatted.
    "Do you want to format?"

    I have not reformatted.

    The external disk shows up as two disks = H and I. Prior to the crash,
    it was formatted as one and recognized as H.

    This shows up the same on my other PC.

    How can I recover the data?

    Is there any relatively inexpensive software that I can purchase?

    Thanks,

    Tony

    tom, Jul 13, 2005

  2. tom

    old jon Guest

    "tom" <> wrote in message
    > My system - Sony Vaio desktop running XP sp2 - crashed
    > I've been able to restore to origional factory configuration.
    > All data on C drive was lost.
    > Most data on partitioned D drive survived,
    >
    > PROBLEM:
    > The computer does not recognize the info on my external drive.
    >
    > I get a message that the disk is not formatted.
    > "Do you want to format?"
    >
    > I have not reformatted.
    >
    > The external disk shows up as two disks = H and I. Prior to the crash,
    > it was formatted as one and recognized as H.
    >
    > This shows up the same on my other PC.
    >
    > How can I recover the data?
    >
    > Is there any relatively inexpensive software that I can purchase?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tony

    You can try this T. It is normal tho` to save any recovered data to another
    drive.
    www.softwarepatch.com/software/filerecovery.html
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Jul 13, 2005

  3. tom

    Guest

    tom <> wrote:

    |>My system - Sony Vaio desktop running XP sp2 - crashed
    |>I've been able to restore to origional factory configuration.
    |>All data on C drive was lost.
    |>Most data on partitioned D drive survived,
    |>
    |>PROBLEM:
    |>The computer does not recognize the info on my external drive.
    |>
    |>I get a message that the disk is not formatted.
    |>"Do you want to format?"
    |>
    |>I have not reformatted.
    |>
    |>The external disk shows up as two disks = H and I. Prior to the crash,
    |>it was formatted as one and recognized as H.
    |>
    |>This shows up the same on my other PC.

    Run the XP recovery on the install CD, and run FIXMBR this might
    repair your drive.

    |>How can I recover the data?

    http://tinyurl.com/cup72 (Hiren's BootCD) is an ISO that will create a
    bootable recovery CD that has lots of applications to help you out.

    --

    , Jul 13, 2005