    there a poss that in a DSLR the sensor will "mist up"?

    I guess the risk is reduced somewhat if you don't change lenses :)

    Dave

    Bugsy, May 8, 2004

  2. Bugsy

    ???? Guest

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 08:13:08 +0000 (UTC), "Bugsy"
    <> wrote:

    >Has anyone had experience of taking a DSLR to such an environment?
    >
    >I ask because when I used to take my old 35mm SLR to somewhere like Florida
    >I used to have trouble with the mirror misting up when changing lenses, Is
    >there a poss that in a DSLR the sensor will "mist up"?
    >
    >I guess the risk is reduced somewhat if you don't change lenses :)
    >
    >Dave

    took my eos 300d to tropical world (local hothouse exhibit) outside
    temp cold wet rainy 12 deg centigrade inside warm wet humid 31 deg
    cent
    lens misted up while taking shots however given 2 secs to aclimatise
    and lens cleared got some good shots after appeared fine
    might be worth taking some silica gel just in case it does fog up
    jim

    ????, May 8, 2004

  3. Bugsy wrote:

    > Has anyone had experience of taking a DSLR to such an environment?
    >
    > I ask because when I used to take my old 35mm SLR to somewhere like Florida
    > I used to have trouble with the mirror misting up when changing lenses, Is
    > there a poss that in a DSLR the sensor will "mist up"?
    >
    > I guess the risk is reduced somewhat if you don't change lenses :)

    I have had problems in butterfly farms and tropical enclosures.
    Basically you must get the entire camera up to temperature before going
    in. Even if you do not remove the lens, most zooms 'suck' air into the
    darkchamber of the camera, and moisture may condense on inner glass
    surfaces of the lens, or the cover glass of the CCD.

    Even a sealed-unit camera like the Minolta 7/A series, because it has a
    mechanically extending zoom, will draw external air into the system if
    you zoom the lens. A very few sealed cameras (such as Minolta's Xt etc
    with an internally zooming lens and no extension) are safer than others
    when moving from cold to high humidity warm conditions.

    I have found it takes 30 minutes for a camera to adjust externally
    (outer lens face) to high humidity 30+ degrees C conditions when moving
    in from 20C conditions (which will be the case when leaving air
    conditioning to go outside in Florida). The answer is to keep the camera
    bag on top of a warm surface, such as part of an aircon system or fridge
    which emits warm air, so that it's much warmer than your surroundings.
    When visiting a butterfly farm here (the only time we get these
    conditions in Scotland!) I will place the camera bag in the car footwell
    and turn the heating on, and give the camera a thorough warm-up for the
    duration of the drive.

    Then, by getting into the humid warm conditions quickly before it has
    cooled down, the risk of condensation is almost eliminated. Even so, I
    do no change lenses once in such conditions - with any camera.

    David

    David Kilpatrick, May 8, 2004
  4. Bugsy

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <c7i4qk$52h$>,
    Bugsy <> wrote:
    >Has anyone had experience of taking a DSLR to such an environment?

    I've used DSLRs in tropical greenhouses (specifically, the tropical zone of
    the Eden Project in Cornwall, UK, which is, I believe, the biggest
    greenhouse in the World), and real tropical rainforest. The former took half
    an hour of acclimatisation before I could take any pictures, due to
    condensation (camera was fine though). The latter required taking some care
    with the camera (a D30) because being a rainforest, it was raining, a lot.

    >I ask because when I used to take my old 35mm SLR to somewhere like Florida
    >I used to have trouble with the mirror misting up when changing lenses, Is
    >there a poss that in a DSLR the sensor will "mist up"?

    That didn't seem to be a problem in my case. YMMV.

    Chris Brown, May 8, 2004
  5. "Bugsy" <> wrote in message news:<c7i4qk$52h$>...
    > Has anyone had experience of taking a DSLR to such an environment?
    >
    > I ask because when I used to take my old 35mm SLR to somewhere like Florida
    > I used to have trouble with the mirror misting up when changing lenses, Is
    > there a poss that in a DSLR the sensor will "mist up"?
    >
    > I guess the risk is reduced somewhat if you don't change lenses :)

    Not at all, Sigma DSLRs have a sealed sensor chamber even when the
    lens is off. Cheaply built Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Kodak, and Fuji
    DSLRs do not. Sigma's build quality is a solid cut above all others.

    George Preddy, May 8, 2004
  6. "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > > I guess the risk is reduced somewhat if you don't change lenses :)

    > Not at all, Sigma DSLRs have a sealed sensor chamber even when the
    > lens is off.

    Air tight, so the factory installed dust cannot escape.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, May 8, 2004
  7. George Preddy wrote:

    > "Bugsy" <> wrote in message news:<c7i4qk$52h$>...
    >
    >>Has anyone had experience of taking a DSLR to such an environment?
    >>
    >>I ask because when I used to take my old 35mm SLR to somewhere like Florida
    >>I used to have trouble with the mirror misting up when changing lenses, Is
    >>there a poss that in a DSLR the sensor will "mist up"?
    >>
    >>I guess the risk is reduced somewhat if you don't change lenses :)

    > Not at all, Sigma DSLRs have a sealed sensor chamber even when the
    > lens is off. Cheaply built Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Kodak, and Fuji
    > DSLRs do not. Sigma's build quality is a solid cut above all others.

    It is not hermetically sealed, and humid air can enter the chamber
    behing it. It would be a slight barrier. However, it might actually mist
    up right behind the lens. I'm going to be very careful when using the
    SD-10 in those conditions, perhaps even more so than with a regular SLR.

    David

    David Kilpatrick, May 8, 2004
  8. Bart van der Wolf wrote:

    > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message

    >>Not at all, Sigma DSLRs have a sealed sensor chamber even when the
    >>lens is off.

    > Air tight, so the factory installed dust cannot escape.

    I suppose it's done so that the magic smoke can't escape from the sensor...

    -JP

    Jukka-Pekka Suominen, May 8, 2004
  9. Bugsy

    Mark M Guest

    "Jukka-Pekka Suominen" <> wrote in message
    > Bart van der Wolf wrote:
    >
    > > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message

    > >>Not at all, Sigma DSLRs have a sealed sensor chamber even when the
    > >>lens is off.

    > > Air tight, so the factory installed dust cannot escape.

    > I suppose it's done so that the magic smoke can't escape from the

    sensor...

    It's actually referred to as "pixel dust."
    -Similar to "pixie dust," but only for photographic uses in otherwise crappy
    cameras.

    Mark M, May 9, 2004
  10. David Kilpatrick <> wrote in message news:<c7jhe7$p7r$>...
    > George Preddy wrote:
    >
    > > "Bugsy" <> wrote in message news:<c7i4qk$52h$>...
    > >
    > >>Has anyone had experience of taking a DSLR to such an environment?
    > >>
    > >>I ask because when I used to take my old 35mm SLR to somewhere like Florida
    > >>I used to have trouble with the mirror misting up when changing lenses, Is
    > >>there a poss that in a DSLR the sensor will "mist up"?
    > >>
    > >>I guess the risk is reduced somewhat if you don't change lenses :)

    > > Not at all, Sigma DSLRs have a sealed sensor chamber even when the
    > > lens is off. Cheaply built Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Kodak, and Fuji
    > > DSLRs do not. Sigma's build quality is a solid cut above all others.

    > It is not hermetically sealed, and humid air can enter the chamber
    > behing it. It would be a slight barrier. However, it might actually mist
    > up right behind the lens. I'm going to be very careful when using the
    > SD-10 in those conditions, perhaps even more so than with a regular SLR.

    Sigma DSLRs have a sealed sensor chamber, none of the other DSLRs do.
    This is a major build quality advantage. Do with it what you like.

    George Preddy, May 9, 2004
  11. George Preddy wrote:

    > Sigma DSLRs have a sealed sensor chamber, none of the other DSLRs do.
    > This is a major build quality advantage. Do with it what you like.

    Funny, how the sigma website fails to mention this (environmentally
    sealed). The only thing they mention is a dust protector. You'd think
    that if they had an environmentally sealed camera/senso, it would be
    mentioned on the website, no?

    -JP

    Jukka-Pekka Suominen, May 9, 2004
  12. Jukka-Pekka Suominen <> wrote in message news:<409de843$>...
    > George Preddy wrote:
    >
    > > Sigma DSLRs have a sealed sensor chamber, none of the other DSLRs do.
    > > This is a major build quality advantage. Do with it what you like.

    > Funny, how the sigma website fails to mention this (environmentally
    > sealed). The only thing they mention is a dust protector. You'd think
    > that if they had an environmentally sealed camera/senso, it would be
    > mentioned on the website, no?

    There is no such thing as an environmentally sealed DSLR with the lens
    off, and only Sigma has a sealed sensor chamber, all others are wide
    open. You are falling prey to Canon's marketing to/for novices
    again.

    George Preddy, May 9, 2004

    George Preddy, May 9, 2004
  14. Bugsy

    Mark M Guest

    > > George Preddy wrote:
    > >
    > > > Sigma DSLRs have a sealed sensor chamber, none of the other DSLRs do.
    > > > This is a major build quality advantage. Do with it what you like.

    > > Funny, how the sigma website fails to mention this (environmentally
    > > sealed). The only thing they mention is a dust protector. You'd think
    > > that if they had an environmentally sealed camera/senso, it would be
    > > mentioned on the website, no?

    > There is no such thing as an environmentally sealed DSLR with the lens
    > off, and only Sigma has a sealed sensor chamber, all others are wide
    > open.

    You argued that it would protect the Stigma from moisture.

    It will not.

    Mark M, May 9, 2004
  15. George Preddy wrote:

    > There is no such thing as an environmentally sealed DSLR with the lens
    > off

    Yet you said that it was. Make up your mind, will you?

    -JP

    Jukka-Pekka Suominen, May 9, 2004
  16. Bugsy

    Yvonne Guest

    "Bugsy" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone had experience of taking a DSLR to such an environment?
    >
    > I ask because when I used to take my old 35mm SLR to somewhere like

    Florida
    > I used to have trouble with the mirror misting up when changing lenses, Is
    > there a poss that in a DSLR the sensor will "mist up"?

    I looked into this issue when I was evaluating D-SLRs, because I do go to
    Florida quite abit. You just have to take the same precautions you would
    take with a film SLR. Keep some silca packets for storage, change lenses
    when the camera is not subject to a temp change (such as coming from A/C to
    hot humid outdoors).

    At first I thought that the glass in front of the sensor on the Sigma SD10
    would be an advantage, but I found out that it actually causes more problems
    because it isn't hermetically sealed. Dust does get in, and it's more of a
    pain to remove it because you have to take off the cover glass. Condensation
    takes longer to evaporate because of the semi-sealed chamber. It was an
    interesting idea to cover the sensor, but not well-executed. Even with the
    cover glass, I wouldn't change lenses in a dusty or smokey environment.

    Actually this could be item #26 for Steven's list!

    Yvonne, May 9, 2004