    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Dec 9, 2003

  2. ArtKramr () writes:
    > Are there any DSLR's that take Nikkor lenses other than Nikons?

    Currently there are;

    Fuji S and S2 Pro
    Kodak DCS-14N
    Nikons

    Coming soon the Nikon D70, and an upgraded Fuji (S3 Pro) will probably be
    announced March at the PMA Show.

    Darrell A. Larose, Dec 9, 2003

  3. ArtKramr

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <br591o$nks$>,
    (Darrell A. Larose) wrote:

    > ArtKramr () writes:
    > > Are there any DSLR's that take Nikkor lenses other than Nikons?
    > >

    > Currently there are;
    >
    > Fuji S and S2 Pro
    > Kodak DCS-14N
    > Nikons
    >
    > Coming soon the Nikon D70, and an upgraded Fuji (S3 Pro) will probably be
    > announced March at the PMA Show.

    No there is also the Kaiser which is available with either a Nikon or a
    Leica mount

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Dec 9, 2003
  4. ArtKramr

    Tom Monego Guest

    Kodak 760 out of production but has an F5 body, 6mp, and a lot of people like
    the Kodak software (alot don't too). They are running used a little less than
    the 14n.

    Tom

    In article <>,
    says...

    Tom Monego, Dec 9, 2003
  5. ArtKramr

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    ArtKramr wrote:

    > Are there any DSLR's that take Nikkor lenses
    > other than Nikons?

    - Fuji S2 Pro
    - Kodak DCS-14N

    Something tells me sooner or later someone will
    post a message on this thread trying to convince
    you to switch to Canon and buy the 300D...

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 10, 2003
  6. ArtKramr

    brian Guest

    (ArtKramr) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Are there any DSLR's that take Nikkor lenses other than Nikons?
    >

    > Arthur Kramer
    > 344th BG 494th BS
    > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    Kodak and Fuji. In addition, all Canon DSLRs will accept Nikkor
    lenses via a mechanical adapter. Not much good if you've got G type
    lenses which have no mechanical iris control, however. Canon DSLRs
    will also accept Leica R and (I think) Zeiss Contax lenses, if that's
    of any interest. The F-mount is also something of a standard in a
    variety of surveillance, high frame rate, near-IR, etc. cameras
    produced in low volumes.

    Brian
    www.caldwellphotographic.com

    brian, Dec 10, 2003
  7. On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:15:16 -0500, Bob Salomon
    <> wrote:

    >No there is also the Kaiser which is available with either a Nikon or a
    >Leica mount

    Can you post a url? I never heard of it. THanks

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    The sound of a Great Blue Heron's wingbeats going by your head

    Rodney Myrvaagnes, Dec 10, 2003
  8. On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:15:16 -0500, Bob Salomon
    <> wrote:

    > No there is also the Kaiser which is available with either a Nikon or a
    > Leica mount

    Sorry Bob, the Kaiser Scando digital scanner camera is not a DSLR, it's a
    scanning back copy camera.

    http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/produkte03.htm

    Darrell Larose, Dec 10, 2003
  9. ArtKramr

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote in message
    > ArtKramr wrote:
    >
    > > Are there any DSLR's that take Nikkor lenses
    > > other than Nikons?

    > - Fuji S2 Pro
    > - Kodak DCS-14N
    >
    > Something tells me sooner or later someone will
    > post a message on this thread trying to convince
    > you to switch to Canon and buy the 300D...

    switch to Canon and buy the 300D...
    Joe Arnold ;-)

    PhotoMan, Dec 10, 2003
  10. ArtKramr

    Gavin Cato Guest

    The obvious is the Fuji S1/S2 and the Kodak DCS + 14n cameras.

    The S2 probably has the best sensor out of all the 6mp DSLR's, unfortunately
    it is hobbled with a bizarre battery arrangement.

    Gavin Cato, Dec 10, 2003
  11. "Gavin Cato" <> wrote:

    > The S2 probably has the best sensor out of all the 6mp DSLR's,

    unfortunately
    > it is hobbled with a bizarre battery arrangement.

    It takes real talent to make 6 batteries be worse than one.

    FWIW, I disagree on the sensor bit: the S2 turns down the sharpening at
    higher ISOs, and since the reviewers test at default sharpening, the S2
    appears better. (It may be better, but we just don't know.) Similarly, the
    rotated sensor trick is designed to fool the tests, which only test vertical
    and horizontal lines.

    David J. Littleboy
    645s.is.still.my.sharpest.lens/camera.com
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 10, 2003
  12. ArtKramr

    Mark B. Guest

    > ArtKramr wrote:
    >
    > > Are there any DSLR's that take Nikkor lenses
    > > other than Nikons?

    > - Fuji S2 Pro
    > - Kodak DCS-14N
    >
    > Something tells me sooner or later someone will
    > post a message on this thread trying to convince
    > you to switch to Canon and buy the 300D...

    Nah. Switch to Canon and buy the 10D! ;-)

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 10, 2003
  13. "Gavin Cato" <> wrote in message
    > The obvious is the Fuji S1/S2 and the Kodak DCS + 14n cameras.
    >
    > The S2 probably has the best sensor out of all the 6mp DSLR's,

    unfortunately
    > it is hobbled with a bizarre battery arrangement.

    The Fuji's sensor is indeed superior in terms of sharpness and lowe noisee.
    That is easily backed up by reviewing the various web sites that display
    comparison photos between the Fuji S2 Pro and the Nikon D100.

    I believe that it's the D100 that has the bizarre battery setup. It uses a
    proprietary battery and the D100 is the only thing it fits. You have to buy
    an extra one for $50 or risk having the camera being non-functional while
    you wait for it to charge. If it goes belly up, while you're out in the
    field, you are SOL. With the Fuji, you can buy the batteries 24-7 in
    virtually any 7-11 or gas station. Or you can use NiMH AA batteries which
    recharge in 30 minutes, cost $10 or less for 4. The CR123s for the on-board
    flash -- you can use those or not.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Dec 10, 2003
  14. ArtKramr

    Gavin Cato Guest

    "Howard McCollister" <> wrote in message

    > I believe that it's the D100 that has the bizarre battery setup. It uses a
    > proprietary battery and the D100 is the only thing it fits.

    You are entitled to your opinions and I see your viewpoint but theres still
    no way I'd want the AA solution. Too much of a pain, too many changes. The
    D100 with the MB-D100 addon with 2 batteries inserted gets you around
    1500-1800 shots. That'll do me just fine thanks.

    The D2h has taken this to an even further extreme, a single battery, and it
    lasts around 2000 shots. AA's will never do this.

    Gav

    Gavin Cato, Dec 10, 2003
  15. "Gavin Cato" <> wrote in message

    > "Howard McCollister" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > I believe that it's the D100 that has the bizarre battery setup. It uses

    > > proprietary battery and the D100 is the only thing it fits.

    > You are entitled to your opinions and I see your viewpoint but theres

    still
    > no way I'd want the AA solution. Too much of a pain, too many changes. The
    > D100 with the MB-D100 addon with 2 batteries inserted gets you around
    > 1500-1800 shots. That'll do me just fine thanks.
    >
    > The D2h has taken this to an even further extreme, a single battery, and

    it
    > lasts around 2000 shots. AA's will never do this.

    I get about 1000-1200 shots from a set of 2300mah NiMH AA's. A set of 4
    costs me about $10 at Best Buy and recharges in 1/2 hour. I can carry 5 sets
    into the field for 4000-5000 shots for the cost of one 1500-shot D100
    battery. At the rate that the capacity of AA-sized NiMH batteries is
    increasing, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of 2000 shots
    from a single set of AA NiMH batteries within the next year or so.

    Having said that, I do wish I had the option of the MB-D100 on the Fuji, for
    the vertical release as well as the remote capability, even if that setup is
    $280-$350. The Nikon MB-10 battery pack works fine on the S2 Pro, and that
    would be an option if I needed it. I do use a Digipower DPS-8100 for beltpak
    power (mainly in the cold).

    The D2H is a helluva camera. It may be my next camera depending on
    price/features of the S3 Pro, the D2X, and the mysterious but
    oh-so-tantalizing Nikon F6. I'd be happy to use any of those cameras, even
    if they DON'T use AA batteries :)

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Dec 10, 2003
  16. ArtKramr

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Howard McCollister wrote:

    > The Fuji's sensor is indeed superior in terms of sharpness and lowe
    > noisee. That is easily backed up by reviewing the various web sites
    > that display comparison photos between the Fuji S2 Pro and the Nikon
    > D100.

    Yeah, it might be sharper, but the colors on the D100 are a lot better.

    > I believe that it's the D100 that has the bizarre battery setup. It
    > uses a proprietary battery and the D100 is the only thing it fits.

    I'm glad the Nikon has a proprietary battery, because it outlasts
    the battery in EVERY DSLR on the market.

    > You have to buy an extra one for $50

    Not true, you can buy Chinese copies on EBay for $10 each. And
    yes, they are based on the very same Hitachi cells as genuine Nikons.
    Also, if you really like AA's, you can use the MB-100, which takes
    six of them, though 2x "proprietary" batteries will last something like
    7 times longer. Like I said, I'm glad the D100 has a proprietary battery.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 11, 2003
  17. ArtKramr

    Gavin Cato Guest

    > I get about 1000-1200 shots from a set of 2300mah NiMH AA's. A set of 4
    > costs me about $10 at Best Buy and recharges in 1/2 hour. I can carry 5

    sets
    > into the field for 4000-5000 shots for the cost of one 1500-shot D100

    1000-1200 is pretty impressive, I know a guy who uses 2 x S2's for weddings
    and he says he gets about 350 which is where I get my benchmark.

    I'm very interested in the future S3 as well - if it's full frame I'll buy
    it regardless how many batteries it needs :)

    Gavin Cato, Dec 11, 2003
  18. "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote in message
    > Howard McCollister wrote:
    >
    > > The Fuji's sensor is indeed superior in terms of sharpness and lowe
    > > noisee. That is easily backed up by reviewing the various web sites
    > > that display comparison photos between the Fuji S2 Pro and the Nikon
    > > D100.

    > Yeah, it might be sharper, but the colors on the D100 are a lot better.
    >
    > > I believe that it's the D100 that has the bizarre battery setup. It
    > > uses a proprietary battery and the D100 is the only thing it fits.

    > I'm glad the Nikon has a proprietary battery, because it outlasts
    > the battery in EVERY DSLR on the market.
    >
    > > You have to buy an extra one for $50

    > Not true, you can buy Chinese copies on EBay for $10 each. And
    > yes, they are based on the very same Hitachi cells as genuine Nikons.
    > Also, if you really like AA's, you can use the MB-100, which takes
    > six of them, though 2x "proprietary" batteries will last something like
    > 7 times longer. Like I said, I'm glad the D100 has a proprietary battery.

    Yeah, deep down, I know that the battery arrangement in the S2 Pro is a
    little...uh...complicated. I did put that "feature" in the "negative" column
    when I was trying to decide between it and the D100. As it turns out,
    however, it hasn't been a problem in any way in practical terms for the
    reasons I mention above.

    I would think that Fuji would address the battery issue in the S3. I don't
    have a problem with the AA's, even kind of like them over a proprietary
    battery, but the reliance on the CR123s would seem to add unnecessary
    complication.

    As to colors, I disagree. To my eye, the Fuji's colors are much better. It
    just an opinion, but overall I found the D100's colors tend toward coolness
    more than I would like. Not a big deal, didn't push me one way or the other,
    but I was impressed with the sharpness by comparison.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Dec 11, 2003
  19. ArtKramr

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Howard McCollister wrote:

    > As to colors, I disagree. To my eye, the Fuji's colors are
    > much better.

    To mine, the Nikon colors are more natural and thruthful.
    I also considered the S2 but eventually found the D100
    more suited to my needs.

    > Not a big deal, didn't push me one way or the other, but I
    > was impressed with the sharpness by comparison.

    That's mostly because the S2 sharpens the photo a lot more.
    Actually I'm glad the D100 "touches" the file as little as
    possible. I think all DSLR's need "post production" (i.e.
    Photoshop) and in my opinion, it's better to start with an
    image as "pure" as possible.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 11, 2003
  20. ArtKramr

    Gavin Cato Guest

    > Howard McCollister wrote:
    >
    > > As to colors, I disagree. To my eye, the Fuji's colors are
    > > much better.

    > To mine, the Nikon colors are more natural and thruthful.
    > I also considered the S2 but eventually found the D100
    > more suited to my needs.

    I agree with this, the S2 has a tendency towards more velvia style colours -
    which I personally like but I can understand it's not everyones cup of tea.

    If the S3 comes out and is full frame I'll be very happy. If the S3 is also
    packed inside a decent body (i.e. F100 body?) I'd be over the moon.

    I really do like the S2 sensor. I hope they keep it very similar for the S3.

    Gav

    Gavin Cato, Dec 11, 2003