    Nikon D70 0.414 0.124

    * Given in seconds and sorted by double-weighted AF times.
    Averaged when times varied from wide-angle to telephoto.
    Bill Tuthill, Mar 11, 2005

  2. I would only trust the full-manual times. You didn't say if it was M, S, or
    A mode.

    And no, I'm not a Nikon user: Own a 1D and 300D.

    Dave R knows who, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Bill Tuthill

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Bill Tuthill wrote:

    > Thanks to Imaging-resource.com, here are the autofocus speeds
    > and prefocus (half-press shutter) timings for prosumer DSLRs.
    > Pentax *istDS and Canon 350D not yet tested.
    >
    > AF * half-press
    > Canon 20D 0.155 0.077
    > Pentax istD 0.230 0.130
    > Minolta 7D 0.266 0.117
    > Canon 300D 0.264 0.142
    > Nikon D70 0.414 0.124
    >
    > * Given in seconds and sorted by double-weighted AF times.
    > Averaged when times varied from wide-angle to telephoto.

    These figures are nice, but it would also be nice to
    know what lens was being use. I think the lens ultimately
    decides how fast AF takes place.

    For instance, a Canon USM lens will focus much faster
    than a non USM lens.

    Subject contrast and ambient light have a lot to do with
    it as well.
    Jim Townsend, Mar 11, 2005
  4. Bill Tuthill

    Guest

    Bill Tuthill wrote:

    > AF * half-press
    > Canon 20D 0.155 0.077
    > Pentax istD 0.230 0.130
    > Minolta 7D 0.266 0.117
    > Canon 300D 0.264 0.142
    > Nikon D70 0.414 0.124

    Cordin 220 n/a 0.000000010

    http://www.cordin.com
    , Mar 12, 2005
  5. Bill Tuthill

    Scott W Guest

    wrote:
    > Bill Tuthill wrote:
    >
    > > AF * half-press
    > > Canon 20D 0.155 0.077
    > > Pentax istD 0.230 0.130
    > > Minolta 7D 0.266 0.117
    > > Canon 300D 0.264 0.142
    > > Nikon D70 0.414 0.124

    > Cordin 220 n/a 0.000000010
    >
    > http://www.cordin.com

    Talk about filling up a flash card in a hurry.

    Scott
    Scott W, Mar 12, 2005
  6. Bill Tuthill

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Jim Townsend <> wrote:

    > These figures are nice, but it would also be nice to
    > know what lens was being use. I think the lens ultimately
    > decides how fast AF takes place.

    Usually it's using the small-circle lens that comes in kit form.
    IIRC both the D20 and D300 were tested with 18-55/3.5-5.6 EFS.
    Do you think the Nikon 18-70/3.5-4.5 DX is slow autofocusing?

    > For instance, a Canon USM lens will focus much faster
    > than a non USM lens.

    This is not always true of short-focal range lenses, but is
    almost always true of telephoto lenses. E.g. Nikon SLR cameras
    regularly beat Canon SLR cameras in Chasseur d'Images testing
    for the 50mm but not for the 70|80-200/2.8 at 200mm.

    > Subject contrast and ambient light have a lot to do with
    > it as well.

    It's standardized, you can read about it at Imaging-resource.
    Bill Tuthill, Mar 12, 2005
  7. Bill Tuthill wrote:
    > Thanks to Imaging-resource.com, here are the autofocus speeds
    > and prefocus (half-press shutter) timings for prosumer DSLRs.
    > Pentax *istDS and Canon 350D not yet tested.

    Could you post the link please? I tried looking up the site but
    couldn't find the article.

    Thanks,

    Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Mar 12, 2005
  8. Bill Tuthill

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Dave R knows who <> wrote:
    > I would only trust the full-manual times.

    Why do you say this? For people like me who use autofocus a lot,
    AF times are most important.

    Can you tell me something about the Imaging-resource.com methodology
    that I don't know? I can't find any explanation there.

    > You didn't say if it was M, S, or A mode.

    My suspicion is that the first column was P mode and the second column
    was P mode with half shutter press.
    Bill Tuthill, Mar 12, 2005
  9. Bill Tuthill

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Siddhartha Jain <> wrote:

    > Could you post the link please? I tried looking up the site but
    > couldn't find the article.

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D70/D70A9.HTM
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E20D/E20DA8.HTM
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EDR/EDRA7.HTM
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ISTD/ISTDA7.HTM
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/MAX7/D7A7.HTM

    Here is the table updated with Canon 10D and manual focus.
    The reason the Canon 10D outperformed the 20D in autofocus was
    that it had 24-85/3.5-4.5 USM instead of 18-55/3.5-5.6 EFS,
    which does not fit the 10D.

    AF avg ½ press MF
    Canon 20D 0.155 0.077 0.110
    Canon 10D 0.146 0.104 0.146
    Pentax *istD 0.230 0.130 0.180
    Canon 300D 0.264 0.142 0.248
    Minolta 7D 0.266 0.117 0.253
    Nikon D70 0.414 0.124 0.155

    Measurements for the Nikon might be amiss, because Dpreview.com
    measured the D70 as a 2.9 fps camera (hence below .33) and wrote
    "shutter release lag simply isn't there." The tested average
    with the 18-70/3.5-4.5 DX ranged from 0.342-0.486. Maybe this
    is just a slow AFing lens.

    I'm not sure, but I think the K-M D7 was tested with 17-35/2.8-4
    but it might have been 28-70/2.8 which is known to be slow AFing.
    I think the Pentax was tested with 18-35/4-5.6 J.

    To be fair, all models should be tested with Sigma 18-125 or
    another lens that fits all mounts. Then each manufacturer should
    get the opportunity to prove that USM or AFS could be faster.
    Bill Tuthill, Mar 12, 2005
  10. Bill Tuthill

    Skip M Guest

    "Bill Tuthill" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Dave R knows who <> wrote:
    >> I would only trust the full-manual times.

    > Why do you say this? For people like me who use autofocus a lot,
    > AF times are most important.

    Probably because AF times can vary from one lens to another, and can vary
    given distance to subject, too many variables.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Mar 12, 2005
  11. Bill Tuthill wrote:
    > Siddhartha Jain <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Could you post the link please? I tried looking up the site but
    > > couldn't find the article.

    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D70/D70A9.HTM
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E20D/E20DA8.HTM
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EDR/EDRA7.HTM
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ISTD/ISTDA7.HTM
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/MAX7/D7A7.HTM

    Ohh!! So you've taken the specs from each products' review and put them
    in a table for comparison. But thats no fair given that they all use
    lenses with different AF capabilities. So like you say, something like
    a Sigma 18-125mm should be used across all of them to come up with a
    meaningful comparison.

    - Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Mar 14, 2005
  12. Bill Tuthill

    Guest

    wrote:
    >Cordin 220 n/a 0.000000010

    What the ultra high speed Cordin has to do with lag time is beyond me.
    You appear confused as to what lag time means.
    , Mar 14, 2005
  13. Bill Tuthill

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Siddhartha Jain <> wrote:

    >> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D70/D70A9.HTM
    >> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E20D/E20DA8.HTM
    >> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EDR/EDRA7.HTM
    >> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ISTD/ISTDA7.HTM
    >> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/MAX7/D7A7.HTM
    >>

    > Ohh!! So you've taken the specs from each products' review and put them
    > in a table for comparison. But thats no fair given that they all use
    > lenses with different AF capabilities. So like you say, something like
    > a Sigma 18-125mm should be used across all of them to come up with a
    > meaningful comparison.

    Not necessarily. If a vendor offers a good lens with better optics or
    autofocus speed than the Sigma 18-125, it's to their credit.

    Look at this comment from http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/D70/

    "I wasn't particularly impressed by the AF on the 20D. I must say
    that I only used it at a photo exhibition for about 15 mins or so
    with a 16-35 lens. Comparatively the 18-70 Nikkor was much quicker."
    Bill Tuthill, Mar 14, 2005
  14. Bill Tuthill wrote:
    > Not necessarily. If a vendor offers a good lens with better optics

    or
    > autofocus speed than the Sigma 18-125, it's to their credit.
    >
    > Look at this comment from http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/D70/
    >
    > "I wasn't particularly impressed by the AF on the 20D. I must say
    > that I only used it at a photo exhibition for about 15 mins or so
    > with a 16-35 lens. Comparatively the 18-70 Nikkor was much

    quicker."

    But is that fair to the camera that you use just one lens on it and
    then the reviewer opines that he/she wasn't particularly impressed? If
    the reviewer knows that the test was nowhere near scientific then why
    quote its results?

    - Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Mar 15, 2005