[DSLR] rpd.slr-systems is _the_ place for DSLR discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Well, I promised to shut up until April and I kept my promise.

    Traffic at rpd.slr-systems has grown to 3800 posts in March from 560 in
    its first month. At the current growth rate and acceleration it's
    looking like 4400 - 4900 posts in April.

    So, while not to suggest that rpd is not appropriate, just a reminder
    the DSLR specific traffic is most appropriate at:

    news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .

    Next report in July, perhaps.

    Cheers,
    Alan.
    -- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Alan Browne

    Truth Is... Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote in news:d31vtn$7vv$1
    @inews.gazeta.pl:

    > Well, I promised to shut up until April and I kept my promise.

    Well, I promised not to care at any point, and that is certainly easy
    enough.

    Truth Is..., Apr 7, 2005

  3. Alan Browne

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Well, I promised to shut up until April and I kept my promise.
    >
    > Traffic at rpd.slr-systems has grown to 3800 posts in March from 560 in
    > its first month. At the current growth rate and acceleration it's
    > looking like 4400 - 4900 posts in April.

    FWIW, here are the stats from Supernews on the
    new groups. Supernews has retained all the
    articles from the time they first added the groups.

    (Note, it's normal for other news servers to
    have slightly different article counts).

    Group Days Articles
    rec.photo.digital.point+shoot 161.0 691
    rec.photo.digital.rangefinder 159.7 70
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems 160.6 11523
    rec.photo.digital.zlr 160.7 900

    Jim Townsend, Apr 7, 2005
  4. Alan Browne

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Alan Browne <> writes:
    > So, while not to suggest that rpd is not appropriate, just a reminder
    > the DSLR specific traffic is most appropriate at:
    >
    > news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .

    Hmmm, the server I use doesn't receive that group.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Alan Browne

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, Jim Townsend says...

    > Group Days Articles
    > rec.photo.digital.point+shoot 161.0 691
    > rec.photo.digital.rangefinder 159.7 70
    > rec.photo.digital.slr-systems 160.6 11523
    > rec.photo.digital.zlr 160.7 900

    Well, that's what I expected - the DLSR group to pick up speed and the
    other ones to die off. Who for instance had the brilliant idea to create
    a "rangefinder" newsgroup ?
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 7, 2005
  6. Alan Browne

    Pete D Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > Alan Browne <> writes:
    >> So, while not to suggest that rpd is not appropriate, just a reminder
    >> the DSLR specific traffic is most appropriate at:
    >>
    >> news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .

    > Hmmm, the server I use doesn't receive that group.

    Don't worry it is full of narrow minded dickheads anyway so you have missed
    nothing.

    Pete D, Apr 7, 2005
  7. Alan Browne

    Lionel Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 06:23:17 GMT, in
    <pl45e.2725$>, "Pete D"
    <> said:

    >"Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    >> Alan Browne <> writes:
    >>> So, while not to suggest that rpd is not appropriate, just a reminder
    >>> the DSLR specific traffic is most appropriate at:
    >>>
    >>> news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .

    >> Hmmm, the server I use doesn't receive that group.

    >Don't worry it is full of narrow minded dickheads anyway so you have missed
    >nothing.

    On Usenet, introducing yourself to a group for the very first time by
    posting a claim that a large percentage of its regular posters are
    incompetants who waste their money on equipment that they don't know how
    to use, is roughly equivalent of walking into a strange pub in a rough
    part of town, striding up to the bar, & loudly calling everyone
    poofters. In other words - you're the dickhead here, & you got exactly
    the kind of response that you deserved. Also, I wouldn't be at all
    surprised if you turn out to be a troll who was doing it deliberately to
    stir up a flamewar.

    Lionel, Apr 7, 2005
  8. Alan Browne

    Pete D Guest

    Pardon? And you would be?

    Pete D, Apr 7, 2005
  9. Alan Browne

    Pete D Guest

    There you go Lionel, I rest my case.

    Pete D, Apr 7, 2005
  10. Alan Browne

    Pete D Guest

    "Lionel" <> wrote in message news:d32t72$auo$...
    > On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 06:23:17 GMT, in
    > <pl45e.2725$>, "Pete D"
    > <> said:
    >

    >>"Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message

    >>> Hmmm, the server I use doesn't receive that group.

    >>Don't worry it is full of narrow minded dickheads anyway so you have
    >>missed
    >>nothing.

    > On Usenet, introducing yourself to a group for the very first time by
    > posting a claim that a large percentage of its regular posters are
    > incompetants who waste their money on equipment that they don't know how
    > to use, is roughly equivalent of walking into a strange pub in a rough
    > part of town, striding up to the bar, & loudly calling everyone
    > poofters. In other words - you're the dickhead here, & you got exactly
    > the kind of response that you deserved. Also, I wouldn't be at all
    > surprised if you turn out to be a troll who was doing it deliberately to
    > stir up a flamewar.

    Lionel, I asked myself, "Who the freaking hell is Lionel anyway?".

    Pete D, Apr 7, 2005
  11. On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 06:04:09 +0200, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Jim Townsend says...
    >
    >> Group Days Articles
    >> rec.photo.digital.point+shoot 161.0 691
    >> rec.photo.digital.rangefinder 159.7 70
    >> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems 160.6 11523
    >> rec.photo.digital.zlr 160.7 900

    >Well, that's what I expected - the DLSR group to pick up speed and the
    >other ones to die off. Who for instance had the brilliant idea to create
    >a "rangefinder" newsgroup ?

    And the ZLR group never got beyond arguing about what a ZLR was (at
    least it hadn't on the three or four visits I paid). It's down to one or
    two posts a day now.

    --
    Stephen Poley

    Stephen Poley, Apr 7, 2005
  12. Stephen Poley wrote:
    []
    > And the ZLR group never got beyond arguing about what a ZLR was (at
    > least it hadn't on the three or four visits I paid). It's down to one
    > or two posts a day now.

    There is the problem that a lot of people still either don't know about
    the existence of the new groups, or their news-server doesn't carry them.

    I would have liked to seen a lot of the recent posts about the Panasonic
    FZ5 and FZ20 on the ZLR newsgroup, where they properly belong, but you
    have seen the reaction of some when the new groups are even mentioned!

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 7, 2005
  13. Alan Browne

    Pete D Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:Fu85e.5655$...
    > Stephen Poley wrote:
    > []
    >> And the ZLR group never got beyond arguing about what a ZLR was (at
    >> least it hadn't on the three or four visits I paid). It's down to one
    >> or two posts a day now.

    > There is the problem that a lot of people still either don't know about
    > the existence of the new groups, or their news-server doesn't carry them.
    >
    > I would have liked to seen a lot of the recent posts about the Panasonic
    > FZ5 and FZ20 on the ZLR newsgroup, where they properly belong, but you
    > have seen the reaction of some when the new groups are even mentioned!

    Seriously though David this newsgroup will have all the answers you want, it
    will be the same people and they will not have to go through three groups to
    find you.

    Pete D, Apr 7, 2005
  14. Pete D wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    > message news:Fu85e.5655$...
    >> Stephen Poley wrote:
    >> []
    >>> And the ZLR group never got beyond arguing about what a ZLR was (at
    >>> least it hadn't on the three or four visits I paid). It's down to
    >>> one or two posts a day now.

    >> There is the problem that a lot of people still either don't know
    >> about the existence of the new groups, or their news-server doesn't
    >> carry them. I would have liked to seen a lot of the recent posts about
    >> the
    >> Panasonic FZ5 and FZ20 on the ZLR newsgroup, where they properly
    >> belong, but you have seen the reaction of some when the new groups
    >> are even mentioned!

    > Seriously though David this newsgroup will have all the answers you
    > want, it will be the same people and they will not have to go through
    > three groups to find you.

    For many people, there were too many posts in rec.photo.digital for them
    to find the answers they seek, and creating the slr-systems newsgroup has
    enabled people to find topic-specific answers more quickly. Although not
    as popular yet, the point+shoot and zlr newsgroups serve to focus
    discussions, and reduce the overwhelming number of posts here.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 7, 2005
  15. Alan Browne

    Skip M Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    >> Alan Browne <> writes:
    >>> So, while not to suggest that rpd is not appropriate, just a reminder
    >>> the DSLR specific traffic is most appropriate at:
    >>>
    >>> news:rec.photo.digital.slr-systems .

    >> Hmmm, the server I use doesn't receive that group.

    > Don't worry it is full of narrow minded dickheads anyway so you have
    > missed nothing.

    You mean the people you said had more money than sense? And then took
    exception to that statement? That's "narrow minded?"

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Apr 7, 2005
  16. Alan Browne

    Guest

    Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >Who for instance had the brilliant idea to create
    >a "rangefinder" newsgroup ?

    [snip]

    I was thinking that also. Is there a rangefinder digicam?

    Wes

    --
    Reply to:
    Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie

    , Apr 7, 2005
  17. Alan Browne

    Tom Ellliott Guest

    Well, for me this group is going to have to be the one for my news server
    does not carry the others and I am NOT going to pay to subscribe for
    something that a free one satisfies.

    Tom Ellliott, Apr 7, 2005
  18. On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:24:42 -0400, wrote:

    >Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >
    >[snip]
    >>Who for instance had the brilliant idea to create
    >>a "rangefinder" newsgroup ?

    >[snip]
    >
    >I was thinking that also. Is there a rangefinder digicam?

    Yes:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0403/04031101epsonrd1.asp

    Looks a lot like a short base Leica G.

    "Every man, woman, and responsible child has a natural,
    fundamental, and inalienable human, individual, civil, and
    Constitutional right (within the limits of the Non-Aggression
    Principle) to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any
    weapon -- handgun, shotgun, rifle, machinegun, anything
    -- anytime, anywhere, without asking anyone's permission."

    The Atlanta Declaration
    -- L. Neil Smith
    http://www.lneilsmith.com/

    John A. Stovall, Apr 7, 2005
  19. Alan Browne

    nellybly Guest

    nellybly, Apr 7, 2005
  20. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:

    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >

    >>Well, I promised to shut up until April and I kept my promise.
    >>
    >>Traffic at rpd.slr-systems has grown to 3800 posts in March from 560 in
    >>its first month. At the current growth rate and acceleration it's
    >>looking like 4400 - 4900 posts in April.

    > FWIW, here are the stats from Supernews on the
    > new groups. Supernews has retained all the
    > articles from the time they first added the groups.

    Thanks, good stats. I used the Google groups stats.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Apr 7, 2005