DSLR choices?? help please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stormlady, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. Stormlady

    Stormlady Guest

    So I'm in the market now for a DSLR and I jsut don't know what to do. We're
    definately getting either a Canon or a Nikon. We were looking at the D70s
    and the 20D primarily. Then Nikon goes and announces the D80 and Canon
    stops making the 20D so that kinda threw us for a loop and altered our
    choices somewhat. The 30 D I'm fairly sure is out of our price range, but
    should I really count out the 20D because it's been discontinued?

    We're planning to go to the camera shop tonight and would like to have some
    idea what we're after. Is there any real difference between the CCD and
    CMOS sensors, I believe Canon uses one while Nikon uses the other. Is it
    worth waiting for the D80 over the D70s?

    Right now we're just taking general pictures, some scenery, a lot of our
    daughter (of course). This would be our 3rd camera in 17 months so we would
    like to get one we're going to be happy with.

    That will leave us with a Nikon cp5600 and a Kodak P850, which would be
    better to keep for situations were a DSLR is not really practical, or just
    sell both because we'll never use them again?

    --
    ********
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stormlady/

    Stormlady, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Stormlady

    Bill Guest

    Stormlady wrote:

    >So I'm in the market now for a DSLR and I jsut don't know what to do.

    What is it about DSLR that makes you want one?

    > We're
    >definately getting either a Canon or a Nikon. We were looking at the D70s
    >and the 20D primarily. Then Nikon goes and announces the D80 and Canon
    >stops making the 20D so that kinda threw us for a loop and altered our
    >choices somewhat. The 30 D I'm fairly sure is out of our price range, but
    >should I really count out the 20D because it's been discontinued?

    If you can find the 20D, there's nothing wrong with it. Get it and save
    some money.

    Have you considered the Nikon D50? It's a great camera with plenty of
    features, and image quality is as good as the others. It costs a fair
    bit less than the others mentioned too. The price difference could be
    used to invest in better lenses.

    >We're planning to go to the camera shop tonight and would like to have some
    >idea what we're after. Is there any real difference between the CCD and
    >CMOS sensors, I believe Canon uses one while Nikon uses the other.

    They work slightly different, but they do the same thing. More important
    are things like features and performance.

    > Is it worth waiting for the D80 over the D70s?

    That depends on your needs, but generally I think for the price the D80
    will be a fairly solid choice over the D70s.

    But we have to see it on the store shelves first.

    >Right now we're just taking general pictures, some scenery, a lot of our
    >daughter (of course). This would be our 3rd camera in 17 months so we would
    >like to get one we're going to be happy with.

    What do you do with the images?

    Do you make large poster-sized prints?

    Will you be buying 2-3 lenses, or just use one lense?

    >That will leave us with a Nikon cp5600 and a Kodak P850, which would be
    >better to keep for situations were a DSLR is not really practical, or just
    >sell both because we'll never use them again?

    I'd keep one of them for social functions where you don't want to drag
    around the DSLR. I have a small 3mp P&S that I keep for BBQs, parties
    and so forth. If you're having a few drinks, you don't want anyone to
    drop a $1000+ camera/lense combo! ACK!

    :-(

    Bill, Aug 23, 2006

  3. Stormlady

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Stormlady wrote:
    > So I'm in the market now for a DSLR and I jsut don't know what to do. We're
    > definately getting either a Canon or a Nikon. We were looking at the D70s
    > and the 20D primarily. Then Nikon goes and announces the D80 and Canon
    > stops making the 20D so that kinda threw us for a loop and altered our
    > choices somewhat. The 30 D I'm fairly sure is out of our price range, but
    > should I really count out the 20D because it's been discontinued?
    >
    > We're planning to go to the camera shop tonight and would like to have some
    > idea what we're after. Is there any real difference between the CCD and
    > CMOS sensors, I believe Canon uses one while Nikon uses the other. Is it
    > worth waiting for the D80 over the D70s?
    >
    > Right now we're just taking general pictures, some scenery, a lot of our
    > daughter (of course). This would be our 3rd camera in 17 months so we would
    > like to get one we're going to be happy with.
    >
    > That will leave us with a Nikon cp5600 and a Kodak P850, which would be
    > better to keep for situations were a DSLR is not really practical, or just
    > sell both because we'll never use them again?

    I'm very happy with my D70 - the D80 will have more resolution IINM
    which is great if you want to print bigger than A4 (~8.5"x11") or
    absolutely must have the highest possible resolution at A4 size. The are
    other reasons but for scenery or family photos I don't think you need
    the extra resolution.

    I had a Kodak DX6490 (4MP 10x zoom) for 12 months before upgrading to
    the Nikon D70 for the reasons below.

    The main advantages of a DSLR are:
    - shallow depth of field is achievable so portraits are much more attractive
    - shutter lag is non-existent.
    - the lenses are sensors are bigger so you get less noise and sharper
    pictures

    May I ask why you are not satisfied with the Kodak P850?

    Ben

    Ben Thomas, Aug 23, 2006
  4. Stormlady

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:21:00 GMT, Stormlady wrote:

    > So I'm in the market now for a DSLR and I jsut don't know what to do. We're
    > definately getting either a Canon or a Nikon. We were looking at the D70s
    > and the 20D primarily. Then Nikon goes and announces the D80 and Canon
    > stops making the 20D so that kinda threw us for a loop and altered our
    > choices somewhat. The 30 D I'm fairly sure is out of our price range, but
    > should I really count out the 20D because it's been discontinued?

    Is the 30D really that much more expensive than the 20D? Most of
    the comments I've seen indicated that it was only a slight upgrade
    and even Canon fans seem to agree that unless they've been sorely
    dissatisfied with the 20D's lack of a spot meter, upgrading the 20D
    to a 30D probably isn't justified. On the other hand, if the choice
    was to be between a 20D and a 30D, the preference swings more toward
    the 30D. But this preference was far from unanimous, and depended
    on whether the 30D's additional features were justified despite its
    higher cost. Don't automatically rule out the 20D. There are
    in-depth reviews of the 30D that compare it with the 20D, and one
    good one is dpreview's. Don't rely too heavily on newsgroup
    opinions (mine included). It's better to compare features and
    prices and make your own decision. Note that the link below points
    to only the first of the review's 30 pages.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos30d/

    > We're planning to go to the camera shop tonight and would like to have some
    > idea what we're after. Is there any real difference between the CCD and
    > CMOS sensors, I believe Canon uses one while Nikon uses the other. Is it
    > worth waiting for the D80 over the D70s?

    Not enough of a difference to worry about. As for the D80, I've
    only seen some previews, but they've been much more extensive than
    most previews generally are. The consensus is that the D80 offers
    significant improvements in many areas and should be well worth
    waiting for. As with the 30D review, the preview offers some
    comparisons of the D80 with its sibling, the D70.

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/

    > Right now we're just taking general pictures, some scenery, a lot of our
    > daughter (of course). This would be our 3rd camera in 17 months so we would
    > like to get one we're going to be happy with.
    >
    > That will leave us with a Nikon cp5600 and a Kodak P850, which would be
    > better to keep for situations were a DSLR is not really practical, or just
    > sell both because we'll never use them again?

    I've never sold old cameras. They either are used infrequently,
    mostly gathering dust, or become gifts. I tried to give an old
    Canon Powershot to a niece only to discover that she just received a
    camera as a Christmas gift. Her mother became the happy owner of
    the Powershot. :)

    My choice would be to sell no more than one of the other cameras.
    In addition to the smaller P&S cameras being more convenient to use
    under some circumstances, they can be useful backups if something
    unfortunate happens to the DSLR and you don't have enough time to
    get it repaired or replaced, or if you need the use of more than one
    camera for some reason.

    ASAAR, Aug 23, 2006
  5. Stormlady

    Stormlady Guest

    "Ben Thomas" <> wrote in message
    > Stormlady wrote:
    >> So I'm in the market now for a DSLR and I jsut don't know what to do.
    >> We're definately getting either a Canon or a Nikon. We were looking at
    >> the D70s and the 20D primarily. Then Nikon goes and announces the D80
    >> and Canon stops making the 20D so that kinda threw us for a loop and
    >> altered our choices somewhat. The 30 D I'm fairly sure is out of our
    >> price range, but should I really count out the 20D because it's been
    >> discontinued?
    >>
    >> We're planning to go to the camera shop tonight and would like to have
    >> some idea what we're after. Is there any real difference between the CCD
    >> and CMOS sensors, I believe Canon uses one while Nikon uses the other.
    >> Is it worth waiting for the D80 over the D70s?
    >>
    >> Right now we're just taking general pictures, some scenery, a lot of our
    >> daughter (of course). This would be our 3rd camera in 17 months so we
    >> would like to get one we're going to be happy with.
    >>
    >> That will leave us with a Nikon cp5600 and a Kodak P850, which would be
    >> better to keep for situations were a DSLR is not really practical, or
    >> just sell both because we'll never use them again?
    >>

    > I'm very happy with my D70 - the D80 will have more resolution IINM which
    > is great if you want to print bigger than A4 (~8.5"x11") or absolutely
    > must have the highest possible resolution at A4 size. The are other
    > reasons but for scenery or family photos I don't think you need the extra
    > resolution.
    >
    > I had a Kodak DX6490 (4MP 10x zoom) for 12 months before upgrading to the
    > Nikon D70 for the reasons below.
    >
    > The main advantages of a DSLR are:
    > - shallow depth of field is achievable so portraits are much more
    > attractive
    > - shutter lag is non-existent.
    > - the lenses are sensors are bigger so you get less noise and sharper
    > pictures
    >
    > May I ask why you are not satisfied with the Kodak P850?
    >
    > Ben

    The Kodak is not a bad little camera, it's just that there are things that
    we try to do with it that we just can't. Macro being a big one for me, it
    just doesn't get close enough to the subject sometimes. My boyfriend is
    unhappy with the results he gets when he tries to take clouds/sunsets, they
    just don't look as crisp as we would like. And of course the shutter delay.

    Stormlady, Aug 23, 2006
  6. "Ben Thomas" <> wrote in message

    > The main advantages of a DSLR are:
    > - shallow depth of field is achievable so portraits are much more
    > attractive
    > - shutter lag is non-existent.
    > - the lenses are sensors are bigger so you get less noise and sharper
    > pictures

    The whole "experience" of using a DSLR is totally different frfom a P&S
    camera:

    No more fiddling around with complex menus to get it to do what you want -
    controls are at your fingertips. (WB, ISO, metering mode etc)
    Being able to set aperture or shutter speed while looking through the
    viewfinder.
    Not having to hold the thing at arms's length looking at a grainy LCD
    "preview"
    No more fiddling with a useless "zoom button" - you actually get to control
    the zoom via a zoom ring.
    You get a proper "click" when you take the photo, rather than with a P&S
    when you are never really sure when it has actually taken the shot!

    Cheers - Adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Adrian Boliston, Aug 23, 2006
  7. Stormlady

    Stormlady Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:21:00 GMT, Stormlady wrote:
    >
    >> So I'm in the market now for a DSLR and I jsut don't know what to do.
    >> We're
    >> definately getting either a Canon or a Nikon. We were looking at the
    >> D70s
    >> and the 20D primarily. Then Nikon goes and announces the D80 and Canon
    >> stops making the 20D so that kinda threw us for a loop and altered our
    >> choices somewhat. The 30 D I'm fairly sure is out of our price range,
    >> but
    >> should I really count out the 20D because it's been discontinued?

    > Is the 30D really that much more expensive than the 20D? Most of
    > the comments I've seen indicated that it was only a slight upgrade
    > and even Canon fans seem to agree that unless they've been sorely
    > dissatisfied with the 20D's lack of a spot meter, upgrading the 20D
    > to a 30D probably isn't justified. On the other hand, if the choice
    > was to be between a 20D and a 30D, the preference swings more toward
    > the 30D. But this preference was far from unanimous, and depended
    > on whether the 30D's additional features were justified despite its
    > higher cost. Don't automatically rule out the 20D. There are
    > in-depth reviews of the 30D that compare it with the 20D, and one
    > good one is dpreview's. Don't rely too heavily on newsgroup
    > opinions (mine included). It's better to compare features and
    > prices and make your own decision. Note that the link below points
    > to only the first of the review's 30 pages.

    We've gone to look at them locally, and there does seem to be a bit of a
    difference in price, around $400-500 if I recall correctly, that is enought
    right now to put it effectively out of our range.

    <snip>

    Stormlady, Aug 23, 2006
  8. Stormlady

    Roy G Guest

    Stormlady" <don'> wrote in message
    > So I'm in the market now for a DSLR and I jsut don't know what to do.
    > We're definately getting either a Canon or a Nikon. We were looking at
    > the D70s and the 20D primarily. Then Nikon goes and announces the D80 and
    > Canon stops making the 20D so that kinda threw us for a loop and altered
    > our choices somewhat. The 30 D I'm fairly sure is out of our price range,
    > but should I really count out the 20D because it's been discontinued?
    >
    > We're planning to go to the camera shop tonight and would like to have
    > some idea what we're after. Is there any real difference between the CCD
    > and CMOS sensors, I believe Canon uses one while Nikon uses the other. Is
    > it worth waiting for the D80 over the D70s?
    >
    > Right now we're just taking general pictures, some scenery, a lot of our
    > daughter (of course). This would be our 3rd camera in 17 months so we
    > would like to get one we're going to be happy with.
    >
    > That will leave us with a Nikon cp5600 and a Kodak P850, which would be
    > better to keep for situations were a DSLR is not really practical, or just
    > sell both because we'll never use them again?
    >
    > --
    > ********
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/stormlady/

    Hi.

    I use a D70, and it is an excellent Camera. (I am not saying it is better
    than a Canon).

    I have been reading the reviews fot the D80 and it looks as if it will be
    considerably better. More Focus points, ISO 100, larger review screen and
    In-camera editing as well as the 4 Mp extra resolution. The only drawback
    could be a delay before stocks arrive in sufficient quantities.

    The D70 will probably be heavily discounted any time now, to clear stocks,
    so it could prove to be quite a bargain.

    You have the choice, wait for a better one or get a good one for a bargain
    price. The money you save could get you another lens.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 23, 2006
  9. Stormlady

    frederick Guest

    Roy G wrote:
    > Stormlady" <don'> wrote in message
    >> So I'm in the market now for a DSLR and I jsut don't know what to do.
    >> We're definately getting either a Canon or a Nikon. We were looking at
    >> the D70s and the 20D primarily. Then Nikon goes and announces the D80 and
    >> Canon stops making the 20D so that kinda threw us for a loop and altered
    >> our choices somewhat. The 30 D I'm fairly sure is out of our price range,
    >> but should I really count out the 20D because it's been discontinued?
    >>
    >> We're planning to go to the camera shop tonight and would like to have
    >> some idea what we're after. Is there any real difference between the CCD
    >> and CMOS sensors, I believe Canon uses one while Nikon uses the other. Is
    >> it worth waiting for the D80 over the D70s?
    >>
    >> Right now we're just taking general pictures, some scenery, a lot of our
    >> daughter (of course). This would be our 3rd camera in 17 months so we
    >> would like to get one we're going to be happy with.
    >>
    >> That will leave us with a Nikon cp5600 and a Kodak P850, which would be
    >> better to keep for situations were a DSLR is not really practical, or just
    >> sell both because we'll never use them again?
    >>
    >> --
    >> ********
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/stormlady/

    > Hi.
    >
    > I use a D70, and it is an excellent Camera. (I am not saying it is better
    > than a Canon).
    >
    > I have been reading the reviews fot the D80 and it looks as if it will be
    > considerably better. More Focus points, ISO 100, larger review screen and
    > In-camera editing as well as the 4 Mp extra resolution. The only drawback
    > could be a delay before stocks arrive in sufficient quantities.
    >
    > The D70 will probably be heavily discounted any time now, to clear stocks,
    > so it could prove to be quite a bargain.
    >
    > You have the choice, wait for a better one or get a good one for a bargain
    > price. The money you save could get you another lens.
    >
    > Roy G

    I agree.

    Do not buy a new D70s, D50, or 20d right now unless bargain priced. You
    expressed an interest in shooting macro. The way prices for second hand
    "old generation" dslr bodies seem destined to go, you could probably
    pick up good low shutter count second-hand D70 with a good "kit" (18-70)
    lens and buy a new Sigma or Tamron macro lens for less than than the
    price of new D80 body for which you may still have to spend many
    hundreds of $ on lenses. By the time the limitations of that camera
    body (compared to the new model(s)) become apparent to you, then the new
    model 10mp dslr prices will have have fallen. Nikon D70 and Canon 350d
    prices dropped considerably from the list prices when they were first
    released. Now that there are three (and soon four - with Pentax?) 10mp
    high quality but "entry level" dslrs to be competing for the same
    market, the market just got a whole lot more competitive than it was a
    couple of years ago. Prices will head south.

    frederick, Aug 24, 2006
  10. "Stormlady" <don'> wrote in message
    > So I'm in the market now for a DSLR and I jsut don't know what to do.
    > We're definately getting either a Canon or a Nikon. We were looking at
    > the D70s and the 20D primarily. Then Nikon goes and announces the D80 and
    > Canon stops making the 20D so that kinda threw us for a loop and altered
    > our choices somewhat. The 30 D I'm fairly sure is out of our price range,
    > but should I really count out the 20D because it's been discontinued?

    I'd count the 20D out anyway, but that's mainly because I'm a Nikon fan.
    ;-)

    > We're planning to go to the camera shop tonight and would like to have
    > some idea what we're after. Is there any real difference between the CCD
    > and CMOS sensors, I believe Canon uses one while Nikon uses the other. Is
    > it worth waiting for the D80 over the D70s?

    Well, that's up to you of course, but the D70s with the 18-70mm kit lens is
    one terrific camera. No doubt the D80 is better yet. Which to get probably
    depends on how you feel about the price difference. . . . Of course there
    will always be something better coming along later.

    > Right now we're just taking general pictures, some scenery, a lot of our
    > daughter (of course). This would be our 3rd camera in 17 months so we
    > would like to get one we're going to be happy with.
    >
    > That will leave us with a Nikon cp5600 and a Kodak P850, which would be
    > better to keep for situations were a DSLR is not really practical, or just
    > sell both because we'll never use them again?

    I would *definitely* keep the 5600 as long as you're happy with it. I have a
    D70s and also several Coolpix models, and would not sell any of 'em. The
    smaller cameras are very, very handy when you don't feel like carrying the
    much heavier and bulkier dSLR around -- which in my case is pretty often.
    Also, the 5600 or any other Coolpix will use the same software that you get
    with the D70s or D80, which simplifies things a bit.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Aug 24, 2006
  11. Adrian Boliston wrote:
    []
    > The whole "experience" of using a DSLR is totally different frfom a
    > P&S camera:
    >
    > No more fiddling around with complex menus to get it to do what you
    > want - controls are at your fingertips. (WB, ISO, metering mode etc)
    > Being able to set aperture or shutter speed while looking through the
    > viewfinder.
    > Not having to hold the thing at arms's length looking at a grainy LCD
    > "preview"
    > No more fiddling with a useless "zoom button" - you actually get to
    > control the zoom via a zoom ring.
    > You get a proper "click" when you take the photo, rather than with a
    > P&S when you are never really sure when it has actually taken the
    > shot!
    > Cheers - Adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Adrian,

    You should try one of the ZLR cameras - you can set the shutter speed etc.
    while looking through the EVF, and the camera doesn't need to be held away
    from the body. Having a loud "clunk" noise when you take a picture isn't
    always an advantage!

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 24, 2006
  12. Stormlady

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 06:41:41 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    >> You get a proper "click" when you take the photo, rather than with a
    >> P&S when you are never really sure when it has actually taken the
    >> shot!
    >> Cheers - Adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    > Adrian,
    >
    > You should try one of the ZLR cameras - you can set the shutter speed etc.
    > while looking through the EVF, and the camera doesn't need to be held away
    > from the body. Having a loud "clunk" noise when you take a picture isn't
    > always an advantage!

    And with the ZLR you often are able to select different noises or
    disable them completely. Some digital P&S cameras, such as Ricoh's
    moderately expensive GR Digital can have short enough delays (Half
    to Full-press Lag using external viewfinder of ~0.03 sec.) and even
    No Press to Full-press Lag can be very short (0.2 sec) if the camera
    is used in Snap Mode which uses fixed focus, so there's no AF delay.

    ASAAR, Aug 24, 2006
  13. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:FSbHg.7976$...

    > Adrian,
    >
    > You should try one of the ZLR cameras - you can set the shutter speed etc.
    > while looking through the EVF, and the camera doesn't need to be held away
    > from the body. Having a loud "clunk" noise when you take a picture isn't
    > always an advantage!

    There was a zlr the salesman showed me when I was buying my D70s (a
    panasonic i think) but it didn't have the erganomic "feel" that the Nikon
    had, yet it was almost as expensive! Also it has not got the flexability
    of swapping lenses. Also an EVF can never match a true optical viewfinder

    Adrian Boliston, Aug 24, 2006
  14. Stormlady

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:33:42 +0100, Adrian Boliston wrote:

    > Also an EVF can never match a true optical viewfinder

    True. Some people actually prefer seeing less than 100% of what
    will be captured by the sensor as well as the preferring the
    parallax error that can make macro shooting so much fun! :)

    ASAAR, Aug 24, 2006
  15. Adrian Boliston wrote:
    []
    > There was a zlr the salesman showed me when I was buying my D70s (a
    > panasonic i think) but it didn't have the erganomic "feel" that the
    > Nikon had, yet it was almost as expensive! Also it has not got the
    > flexability of swapping lenses. Also an EVF can never match a true
    > optical viewfinder

    You mean you can get the D70S for about GBP 250? - I hadn't realised they
    were that strongly discounted! <G>

    Something like the compact Panasonic FZ5 (weighing about 300g) would
    probably be a nice complementary camera when you don't want to risk the
    D70S. No dust when not swapping lenses, as well!

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 24, 2006
  16. Stormlady

    VK Guest

    Re: DSLR choices?? help please

    To the OP -

    You've been getting some good advice but you may find this article of
    mine, on picking your first SLR, to be useful:
    http://www.photosafariindia.com/articles/beg1-slr.html

    It most likely wont help you figure out which camera you need, but it
    will help you ask the right questions to determine the best camera for
    YOU (as opposed to me, or anyone else).

    Cheers,
    Vandit

    PS: There is also a newly-revised companion piece of lenses that you
    may find helpful.

    VK, Aug 24, 2006
  17. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote

    > You should try one of the ZLR cameras - you can set the shutter speed etc.
    > while looking through the EVF, and the camera doesn't need to be held away
    > from the body. Having a loud "clunk" noise when you take a picture isn't
    > always an advantage!

    As I recall, "ZLR" was the term coined by Olympus several years ago to mean
    its non-interchangeable zoom-lens 35mm SLRs. But you're using it to mean the
    more advanced "SLR-like" digital cameras, right?

    If this is a new usage, I do like it a lot better than "P&S" for such
    cameras -- which is terribly inappropriate.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Aug 24, 2006
  18. Neil Harrington wrote:
    []
    > As I recall, "ZLR" was the term coined by Olympus several years ago
    > to mean its non-interchangeable zoom-lens 35mm SLRs. But you're using
    > it to mean the more advanced "SLR-like" digital cameras, right?
    >
    > If this is a new usage, I do like it a lot better than "P&S" for such
    > cameras -- which is terribly inappropriate.
    >
    > Neil

    Yes, Neil. There was a discussion some time ago, when the split of
    rec.photo.digital was being considered, as to what to call 'more advanced
    "SLR-like" digital cameras', and ZLR won the day. Things have blurred
    even more since then, with many of the entry-level DSLRs offering P&S
    features like scene modes, EVF, built-in flash etc. etc.

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 24, 2006
  19. Stormlady

    acl Guest

    Re: DSLR choices?? help please

    Adrian Boliston wrote:

    > The whole "experience" of using a DSLR is totally different frfom a P&S
    > camera:
    >
    > No more fiddling around with complex menus to get it to do what you want -
    > controls are at your fingertips. (WB, ISO, metering mode etc)
    > Being able to set aperture or shutter speed while looking through the
    > viewfinder.
    > Not having to hold the thing at arms's length looking at a grainy LCD
    > "preview"
    > No more fiddling with a useless "zoom button" - you actually get to control
    > the zoom via a zoom ring.
    > You get a proper "click" when you take the photo, rather than with a P&S
    > when you are never really sure when it has actually taken the shot!

    Well, it depends on the camera. Some of the EVF cameras are very good
    ergonomically, eg the minolta dimage a2 (and I suppose the a200) are
    really excellent (and no zoom button!). The a2 also has an excellent
    EVF. Ergonomically, I imagine they're comparable to others of that
    kind.

    Their main disadvantage compared to SLRs are lack of interchangeable
    lenses, slower autofocus, more noise.

    acl, Aug 24, 2006
  20. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:YtgHg.8074$...
    > Neil Harrington wrote:
    > []
    >> As I recall, "ZLR" was the term coined by Olympus several years ago
    >> to mean its non-interchangeable zoom-lens 35mm SLRs. But you're using
    >> it to mean the more advanced "SLR-like" digital cameras, right?
    >>
    >> If this is a new usage, I do like it a lot better than "P&S" for such
    >> cameras -- which is terribly inappropriate.
    >>
    >> Neil

    > Yes, Neil. There was a discussion some time ago, when the split of
    > rec.photo.digital was being considered, as to what to call 'more advanced
    > "SLR-like" digital cameras', and ZLR won the day.

    Ah. Fair enough. Technically wrong (the "R" part) but it's sure better than
    the other.

    > Things have blurred even more since then, with many of the entry-level
    > DSLRs offering P&S features like scene modes, EVF, built-in flash etc.
    > etc.

    How can even an entry-level dSLR have an EVF? What camera, for instance?
    (Mostly I only follow Nikons and Minoltas [Sony] and don't know much about
    the others.)

    As for built-in flash, I don't see that as a "P&S feature." Every 35mm SLR I
    bought after the Minolta 8000i has a built-in flash, as do my Maxxum 5D and
    Nikon D70s of course. These are certainly not P&S cameras.

    As for scene modes, sure they're on P&S models, but Minolta SLR 35s have
    used them for several years too, so I wouldn't necessarily call that a "P&S
    feature."

    The whole idea behind the "point and shoot" term originally was that that
    was just about all you could do with such a camera. No controls, no
    settings, no adjustments except for a few on-off things having to do with
    flash and self-timer. This seems to have been lost in the current popular
    misusage of "P&S."

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Aug 24, 2006