    would appreciate any advise.
    thanks in advance.
    lydia

    lydia, Sep 23, 2005

  2. lydia

    Jer Guest

    lydia wrote:
    > I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
    > shootings.
    > would appreciate any advise.
    > thanks in advance.
    > lydia

    I'd particularly recommend one that has a flash.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Sep 23, 2005

  3. lydia

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:08:47 -0500, Jer wrote:

    > lydia wrote:
    >> I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
    >> shootings.
    >> would appreciate any advise.
    >> thanks in advance.
    >> lydia
    >>

    > I'd particularly recommend one that has a flash.

    A worthwhile flash has to be an accessory one, the built-in flashes are
    not very powerful.

    For a dslr read back through this group. go to one or more photographic
    retailers and handle as many different models as you can. Choose the one
    that feels good, that you can afford and that has some consistantly good
    reports.

    When you have got your camera -PRACTISE. It may sound trite to say this
    but it is a good way to learn.

    Best wishes.

    --
    Neil
    Delete delete to reply by email

    Neil Ellwood, Sep 23, 2005
  4. lydia

    Jim Townsend Guest

    lydia wrote:

    > I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
    > shootings.
    > would appreciate any advise.
    > thanks in advance.

    What's your budget ?

    DSLR cameras range from $800 to $8000 US Dollars...

    Jim Townsend, Sep 23, 2005
  5. On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:08:47 -0500, Jer <> wrote:

    >lydia wrote:
    >> I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
    >> shootings.
    >> would appreciate any advise.
    >> thanks in advance.
    >> lydia
    >>

    >I'd particularly recommend one that has a flash.

    And would recommend against one with it. The built in flash is
    useless. Better look at the overall system offered and look at the
    fast primes offered for it.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Sep 23, 2005
  6. lydia

    Frank ess Guest

    lydia wrote:
    > I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor
    > and
    > night shootings.
    > would appreciate any advise.
    > thanks in advance.
    > lydia

    Where are you?

    You can avoid many onerous complications by hiring a competent
    professional photographer.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Sep 23, 2005
  7. lydia

    Tom Guest

    Low light shooting, look at big aperture lenses.

    Tom, Sep 23, 2005
  8. Frank,
    Are you soliciting? :)
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Sep 23, 2005
  9. On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:01:40 +0800, "lydia" <>
    wrote:

    >I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
    >shootings.
    >would appreciate any advise.
    >thanks in advance.
    >lydia

    For indoor and night you want low noise and the only choice is Canon
    and I would suggest the 20D for low noise at high ISO in a 1.6 crop.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/

    "To be governed is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed,
    law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached
    at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded,
    by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom or the
    virtue to do so. To be governed is to be at every operation, at
    every transaction, noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped,
    measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished,
    prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished."

    "General Idea of the Revolution in the Nineteenth Century"
    Pierre Proudhon

    John A. Stovall, Sep 23, 2005
  10. lydia

    Tom Guest

    And a high aperture lens so you don't need to use flash.

    Tom, Sep 23, 2005
  11. On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:42:19 +0100, "Tom" <> wrote:

    >And a high aperture lens so you don't need to use flash.

    Of which Canon offers a number of fine primes including the now out of
    production 50mm f1.0L,

    John A. Stovall, Sep 23, 2005
  12. lydia

    Frank ess Guest

    Paul Schilter wrote:
    > Frank,
    > Are you soliciting? :)
    > Paul
    >
    > Frank ess wrote:
    >> lydia wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor
    >>> and night shootings.
    >>> would appreciate any advise.
    >>> thanks in advance.
    >>> lydia

    >> Where are you?
    >>
    >> You can avoid many onerous complications by hiring a competent
    >> professional photographer.

    Not even. Thought it might benefit the OP and any local PPs if she
    responded.

    Heh.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Sep 23, 2005
  13. lydia

    Pete D Guest

    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:42:19 +0100, "Tom" <> wrote:
    >
    >>And a high aperture lens so you don't need to use flash.

    > Of which Canon offers a number of fine primes including the now out of
    > production 50mm f1.0L,

    Perfect lens for a total newbie.

    Pete D, Sep 23, 2005
  14. lydia

    Bill Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:

    >>I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
    >>shootings.

    >For indoor and night you want low noise and the only choice is Canon

    I'm a Canon user but I take issue with this comment. Nikon makes some
    excellent cameras and lenses. In fact, the Nikon D50 and D70s have low
    noise imaging sensors that rival Canon.

    The brand is less important than the optical choices. For low light,
    large aperture lenses and/or good flash is required. Be it Nikon or
    Canon, the requirements are essentially the same.

    Bill, Sep 24, 2005
  15. lydia

    lydia Guest

    thank you all for the valuable advice.
    I am from Singapore and a newbie to DSLR.Currently I am using a Casio QV-R40
    but I find it is only good for day shots.
    I now want to learn to take night and indoor photograph, and thought of
    upgrading to DSLR. My budget is around US500 - US1000

    lydia, Sep 24, 2005
  16. lydia

    lydia, Sep 24, 2005
  17. lydia

    Bill Guest

    lydia wrote:

    >thank you all for the valuable advice.
    >I am from Singapore and a newbie to DSLR.Currently I am using a Casio QV-R40
    >but I find it is only good for day shots.
    >I now want to learn to take night and indoor photograph, and thought of
    >upgrading to DSLR. My budget is around US500 - US1000

    In that price range, I'd look at the Canon 300D and 350D/XT, the Nikon
    D50 and D70s models. But you're going to want to get some decent lenses
    for the cameras to get the most out of them and your budget isn't large
    enough for that.

    You'll need to add another $300-500 for a good general use zoom lense.
    Either that, or simply start with a 50mm and add a zoom lense later. The
    50m lense will be very sharp and give you an idea of what the camera can
    do.

    Bill, Sep 24, 2005
  18. On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:26:03 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >"John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:42:19 +0100, "Tom" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>And a high aperture lens so you don't need to use flash.

    >> Of which Canon offers a number of fine primes including the now out of
    >> production 50mm f1.0L,
    >>

    >Perfect lens for a total newbie.

    We all have to start some where. Why do you assume a "newbie" can
    learn to use one? It works just like any other lens.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Sep 24, 2005
  19. lydia

    Pete D Guest

    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:26:03 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message

    >>> Of which Canon offers a number of fine primes including the now out of
    >>> production 50mm f1.0L,
    >>>

    >>Perfect lens for a total newbie.

    > We all have to start some where. Why do you assume a "newbie" can
    > learn to use one? It works just like any other lens.

    "I am from Singapore and a newbie to DSLR.Currently I am using a Casio
    QV-R40
    but I find it is only good for day shots.
    I now want to learn to take night and indoor photograph, and thought of
    upgrading to DSLR. My budget is around US500 - US1000"

    Why would you assume that anyone but someone with a very specific need would
    have pockets deep enough to get one? The OP wanted better performance than
    her brummy P&S, perhaps some realistic suggestions would be a bit more
    helpfull.

    Pete D, Sep 25, 2005