    8008) and FM2 are compatible with the Nikon DSLR?

    TIA

    , Oct 31, 2005

  2. Nikon User Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I'm considering a Nikon D70 and wondering if my lenses for F-801 (N
    > 8008) and FM2 are compatible with the Nikon DSLR?

    I just bought a D70s, and the lenses from my N8008s work very well with
    it. I kept the prime lenses, and gave the 8008s and the zoom lens to my
    daughter and son-in-law.

    Nikon User, Oct 31, 2005

  3. Jim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm considering a Nikon D70 and wondering if my lenses for F-801 (N
    > 8008) and FM2 are compatible with the Nikon DSLR?
    >
    > TIA

    The answer depends on the type of lens:
    AF lenses - all functions yes
    AI-S lenses - electronic rangefinder yes - automatic exposure no
    Jim

    Jim, Oct 31, 2005
  4. writes:

    > I'm considering a Nikon D70 and wondering if my lenses for F-801 (N
    > 8008) and FM2 are compatible with the Nikon DSLR?

    AI (and AIS) lenses mount and work fine (manual focus of course!).
    However, the meter doesn't function. I personally find this not a big
    problem (except with flash), but it depends on your working habits and
    experience (I used to work with a meterless Leica M3 and a separate
    meter, so I don't meter every shot anyway).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 31, 2005
  5. Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > writes:
    >
    > > I'm considering a Nikon D70 and wondering if my lenses for F-801 (N
    > > 8008) and FM2 are compatible with the Nikon DSLR?

    > AI (and AIS) lenses mount and work fine (manual focus of course!).
    > However, the meter doesn't function. I personally find this not a big
    > problem (except with flash), but it depends on your working habits and
    > experience (I used to work with a meterless Leica M3 and a separate
    > meter, so I don't meter every shot anyway).
    > --
    > David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    > RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    > Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
    > Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>

    Thanks all for the responses. Seems like D70 is the way to go for me.
    With regard to flash, any recommendations other than the Nikon flashes?

    Thanks again for your help.

    , Oct 31, 2005
  6. Bill Guest

    wrote:

    >> > I'm considering a Nikon D70 and wondering if my lenses for F-801 (N
    >> > 8008) and FM2 are compatible with the Nikon DSLR?

    >> AI (and AIS) lenses mount and work fine (manual focus of course!).
    >> However, the meter doesn't function. I personally find this not a big
    >> problem (except with flash), but it depends on your working habits and
    >> experience (I used to work with a meterless Leica M3 and a separate
    >> meter, so I don't meter every shot anyway).

    >Thanks all for the responses. Seems like D70 is the way to go for me.
    >With regard to flash, any recommendations other than the Nikon flashes?

    I haven't used one, but I've heard good things about the Sigma 500 ST
    and Super flash units.

    One thing to watch is the way older TTL flash units may not work with
    the newer Nikon digital SLR bodies.

    I have a Canon Rebel XT and Canon lenses which work fine together. But I
    discovered my older flash unit will not function properly on the digital
    body due to metering issues with the digital sensors. I hear Nikon
    digital bodies have the same issue.

    I had to buy a new flash unit, but it should work with any DSLR models
    in the future if I upgrade the body again.

    Bill, Nov 1, 2005
  7. Jim Guest

    On 2005-10-31 16:32:09 -0500, said:

    Flash.. I have no recommendations. Years ago I found sticking the
    Nikon flashes is much safer and allows you to use the full function of
    the camera's flash exposure system. I bought the Nikon SB800 for my
    D70s even though I have a perfectly good SB28 about for my N90s.
    Research carefully . The Nikon CLS system is complex and powerful
    particularly with multiple flashes, but add one non CLS capable device
    and you go back to a much simpler flash mode.

    Jim N

    --
    Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo

    Jim, Nov 1, 2005
  8. GTO Guest

    If you like to use your old gear, wait for the D200. If most of that crap I
    heard about the D200 is true, it will actually work with your old AI lenses
    and not self-destruct when using it with pre-AI lenses. The D70 runs the AI
    lenses only in "dead mode". Pre-AI can actually rip the little tab from the
    D70 and render it "pure manual".

    Gregor

    GTO, Nov 1, 2005
  9. Eric Guest

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 04:01:14 GMT, "GTO" <>
    wrote:

    >If you like to use your old gear, wait for the D200. If most of that crap I
    >heard about the D200 is true, it will actually work with your old AI lenses

    Or you could buy a Canon dslr and a $20 nikon-to-eos adapter on ebay.
    That way I can use all my old Nikkor ais on my eos 20d. Actually that
    was one of my reasons to go for a Canon ;-) Those who have Nikon AF
    lenses, go for the D200.

    -eric

    Eric, Nov 2, 2005