    I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
    will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
    suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.
    Mitch, Nov 27, 2005

  2. Mitch

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Mitch spewed forth:
    > Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
    > I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
    > will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
    > suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

    Buy XP, install clean (no upgrade, no leftover ME crapola). Check your
    system though to be sure it has the horsepower. I wouldn't put XP on
    anything less than 600MHz, w/ 256 megs of RAM. Microsoft gives much lower
    requirements though - 266MHz and 64 megs of RAM, if I remember correctly,
    although that system would choke trying to do anything except boot <g>.

    --
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2005

  3. Mitch

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:2poif.3798$,
    Toolman Tim spewed forth:
    > In news:,
    > Mitch spewed forth:
    >> Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and
    >> that I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP
    >> there will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
    >> suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

    > Buy XP, install clean (no upgrade, no leftover ME crapola). Check your
    > system though to be sure it has the horsepower. I wouldn't put XP on
    > anything less than 600MHz, w/ 256 megs of RAM. Microsoft gives much
    > lower requirements though - 266MHz and 64 megs of RAM, if I remember
    > correctly, although that system would choke trying to do anything
    > except boot <g>.

    Oh - BTW, you can buy either an OEM release of XP Home, or the retail
    upgrade. The upgrade will allow a clean install *IF* you have a copy of a
    previous version on CD. It will ask you to insert that version just long
    enough to verify that it's eligible for upgrade.

    I prefer to go OEM - costs less. Email me, and I'll let you know where I
    bought my last XP license from. Note: the license does NOT include the
    install disk. But you can copy an OEM disk from a friend or family member.
    (tim_n_puppies at yahoo dot com)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2005
  4. Mitch

    philo Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
    > I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
    > will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
    > suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

    they are probably BSing you...
    but ME is not a great OS.
    if you still have your ME cd you can get the (cheaper) XP upgrade
    cd... yet still perform a clean install
    philo, Nov 27, 2005
  5. Mitch

    kenny Guest

    as an experiment, I have succesfully installed XP PRO on a pentium 133 with
    96 mb ram.

    It worked but of course you could not be productive on such a machine.

    There is of course a program called lite pc http://www.litepc.com/
    that you can strip down things from XP or win2k and make it runnable on
    slower systems. Or a free alternative that lets you make a lite version of
    XP before you install is nlite www.nliteos.com/

    Kenny www.computerboom.com

    kenny, Nov 27, 2005
  6. Mitch

    Pat Guest

    On 27 Nov 2005 12:02:23 -0800, "Mitch" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
    >I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
    >will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
    >suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

    Sounds like bunk to me. Any OS that can use a NIC and run internet
    software should be fine with DSL. You may have other OS problems that
    are affecting your connection. Try cleaning up your system, temp files,
    cookies, caches, and the like. Defrag the drives and just generally tune
    up the system. Run some anti-malware software.

    If you are using proprietary software provided by Verizon, dump it. It
    could be causing problems.

    --
    Pat
    Pat, Nov 27, 2005
  7. Mitch

    Trax Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote:

    |>Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
    |>I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
    |>will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
    |>suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

    Not true, I think they mean the software they provide to install it
    for you.

    You don't need their software, just an account (DSL turn'd on) and a
    browser to config the modem.

    --
    Take a game break...
    http://games.briankass.com/
    Trax, Nov 27, 2005
  8. Mitch

    thenemo1 Guest

    Hi Mith verizon told me that if i had windows M.E. that i'd only get a
    reduced speed as opposed to windows XP the speed would be the fastest.

    thenemo1, Nov 28, 2005
  9. Mitch

    fkasner Guest

    Trax wrote:
    > "Mitch" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
    > |>I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
    > |>will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
    > |>suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.
    >
    > Not true, I think they mean the software they provide to install it
    > for you.
    >
    > You don't need their software, just an account (DSL turn'd on) and a
    > browser to config the modem.

    The problem lies with Verizon not with DSL and Me. I have on my second
    box (this one runs XP Pro) a Me box that is hooked up to DSL but it's
    SBC not Verizon. Works fine. The Me box is flakey but that's because Me
    is flakey. But aside from the limitations of a tendency to freeze (too
    little memory and the instability of Me) on occasion it runs DSL quite
    reliably. I even have a Linux box hooked up to that DSL router. All
    download reliably.
    FK
    fkasner, Nov 28, 2005
  10. Mitch

    Pat Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:33:33 -0500, "thenemo1"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Mith verizon told me that if i had windows M.E. that i'd only get a
    >reduced speed as opposed to windows XP the speed would be the fastest.

    If the computer is setup properly, there should be no difference in
    speed. Even a old 386 box with W3.1 can easily keep up with the data
    flow from a DSL connection. I use an older OS than ME and have no
    problems with speed.

    Go to http://www.speedguide.net/ and use their optimizing tips. It could
    help quite a bit.

    --
    Pat
    Pat, Nov 28, 2005
  11. Mitch

    Mitch Guest

    In article <P7tif.51862$01.us.to.verio.net>,
    thenemo1 <> wrote:

    > Hi Mith verizon told me that if i had windows M.E. that i'd only get a
    > reduced speed as opposed to windows XP the speed would be the fastest.

    I can't see how, but I certainly don't know all the connection
    protocols they might be using.
    As people have noted here, DSL is just a network; just as cable and
    other Ethernet networks are. The network doesn't really require
    processing, just simple response.

    On the other point, some others agree to get away from Win Me.
    if you have the option, and your system fits what Toolman Tim gave as a
    minimum, it sounds like a good option, and you wouldn't have to figure
    out why your ISP needs it.
    Mitch, Nov 28, 2005
  12. May I email you also for that tidbit of information? I just recently
    paid $69USD/each OEM. $55 is cheaper....;o/

    <schnippen>

    @}-}-------Rosee, Nov 28, 2005
  13. Mitch

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns971CA7A33D1B6roseeneener@216.196.97.140,
    @}-}-------Rosee spewed forth:
    > May I email you also for that tidbit of information? I just recently
    > paid $69USD/each OEM. $55 is cheaper....;o/

    Sure - I don't post the link so people don't think I'm advertising.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005
  14. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote news:D0Nif.10169
    $:

    > In news, @}-}-------Rosee spewed forth:
    >> May I email you also for that tidbit of information? I just recently
    >> paid $69USD/each OEM. $55 is cheaper....;o/

    > Sure - I don't post the link so people don't think I'm advertising.
    > tim_n_puppies at yahoo dot com

    Thaaaannnnnk yoooouuuuuuu!!!! On the way......;o))

    @}-}-------Rosee, Nov 29, 2005
  15. Mitch

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns971CCB2873B71roseeneener@216.196.97.140,
    @}-}-------Rosee spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote
    > news:D0Nif.10169 $:
    >
    >> In news, @}-}-------Rosee spewed forth:
    >>> May I email you also for that tidbit of information? I just
    >>> recently paid $69USD/each OEM. $55 is cheaper....;o/

    >> Sure - I don't post the link so people don't think I'm advertising.
    >> tim_n_puppies at yahoo dot com

    > Thaaaannnnnk yoooouuuuuuu!!!! On the way......;o))

    I had my price wrong - it's $49 <g>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005
  16. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote news:1DOif.5554
    $:

    > In news, @}-}-------Rosee spewed forth:

    >> "Toolman Tim" wrote:

    <schnippen>

    >>> Sure - I don't post the link so people don't think I'm advertising.
    >>> tim_n_puppies at yahoo dot com

    >> Thaaaannnnnk yoooouuuuuuu!!!! On the way......;o))

    > I had my price wrong - it's $49 <g>

    Absolutely fabulous!!!!!!

    I'm lovin' it.....;o)

    @}-}-------Rosee, Nov 29, 2005