    want me to get rid of my Linksys router and cards.

    Please help.
    thank you.
    =?Utf-8?B?bG0=?=, Jun 12, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bG0=?=

    Clark Guest

    Why don't you take the Linksys out of the loop until you establish the
    internet connection. Then, once you know at least that part works, you can
    change things one a time to see if the connection remains. Don't put any
    connection software on your computer yet, because WinXP can do PPPoE and
    probably so can the modem. Sometimes, you even have a modem and a router
    that do PPPoE, but they can't both be doing it at the same time.

    Sometimes it is good to have at least one wired connection so you can bypass
    the wireless problems.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 12, 2005

  3. I think Verizon supplied a "gateway" (DSL modem built into a router) and if
    that's the case you've essentially got two wireless networks but it's tough
    to make one access point talk to another ... sort of creating a "repeater"
    and that's the problem. The first thing I'd do is call Verizon Customer
    Service and request a plain old DSL modem ... if that's not possible, you've
    got a couple options: use their gateway as your router, or reconfigure their
    gateway to work with your router.

    A call to Verizon's tech support should help determine if their gateway is a
    "capable" substitute for your Linksys router, if so that's an easy solution.
    But if you'd rather keep your gear then you'll have to perform a few steps to
    reconfigure their gateway: Basically, you're trying to strip the gateway down
    to just it's modem functions.

    1) Connect an ethernet cable from the gateway to your system

    2) Log into the "setup" mode of the gateway and disable any features that
    would be duplicated by your Linksys router (wireless access point, firewall,
    PPPoE, DHCP, etc.) ... note these settings as you'll use them later.

    3) Connect the gateway to your Linksys' WAN port with an ethernet cable

    4) Connect your system to your Linksys router with an ethernet cable

    5) Log into the "setup" mode of your Linksys router and configure it as
    required for Verizon access (use the settings from the gateway) and be sure
    to disable any features that would be duplicated (any you chose to use on the
    gateway.)

    6) Test Internet access, etc. and if everythings OK configure your wireless
    adapters (if necessary.)

    PLS NOTE: I have not performed this work around but I believe it should work
    .... if someone out there can see a problem (or an easier fix) please jump in!!

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=, Jun 15, 2005
  4. James,
    You are correct. Now I am facing problem connecting connecting my computer
    that is located in the basemant....I think the signal is not strong as it
    should be.

    =?Utf-8?B?bG0=?=, Jun 17, 2005
  5. Wireless signals can have trouble passing through multiple walls/flooring as
    it's likely to encounter going from upper floors to the basement ... you can
    try moving the router or if possible repositioning the antenna of the
    basement system. Also, some wireless adapters allow you to upgrade their
    antenna. I've read that you may be able to get increased "range" by
    decreasing the "throughgput" bandwidth (54 Mbps reduced to 24 Mbps, etc.)

    I'm interested to know how you decided to solve your problem with Verizon
    .... are you using their gateway as your router/AP?

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=, Jun 17, 2005
  6. I have linksys signal booster. I'll se if that works

    =?Utf-8?B?bG0=?=, Jun 17, 2005