dsl..who should pay ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    I know I could ask this in the NZADSL mailing list but I cant be a**ed
    signing up again for 1 question to be answered :)

    Recently our home lines went dead for voice. DSL (Jetstream Starter) was
    still running quite happily. Contacted Telecom and they sent a guy out to
    fix the problem.... he turned up, and started playing around and the phones
    came back. To do this he fiddled with the ADSL splitter (telecom installed)
    and the jackpoints where the DSL is plugged in.
    Thought "sweet, everythings away again" and had bit of a chat to him... he
    admitted he wasnt actually paid to do house wiring etc, hes actually a main
    line installer/latyer etc (ie: the overheard lines) so he was a bity rusty
    on house wiring etc.

    Off he went... 5 mins later the voice lines went dead again. Called Telecom
    again and they sent the same guy back. He fiddled some more with the DSL
    splitter and everything came back again.

    Since then, Ive had crap DSL connections compared to what I use to get....
    drop outs (5 in 10mins at times) and lousy upstream rates. Im not too
    worried about the upstream/downstream long as it stays above 128 (which it
    is only just doing atm @192 upstream).

    I called Telecom and they claim itll be my problem and that Ill have to pay
    for a tech to come out and fix the lines. I reckon that this is BS and its
    their fault for sending out a non-experienced tech in the first place.

    What do you lot think ?
    I should pay or should Telecom ???
    XPD, Nov 18, 2003

  2. XPD

    Rider Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > I know I could ask this in the NZADSL mailing list but I cant be a**ed
    > signing up again for 1 question to be answered :)
    >
    > Recently our home lines went dead for voice. DSL (Jetstream Starter) was
    > still running quite happily. Contacted Telecom and they sent a guy out to
    > fix the problem.... he turned up, and started playing around and the

    phones
    > came back. To do this he fiddled with the ADSL splitter (telecom

    installed)
    > and the jackpoints where the DSL is plugged in.
    > Thought "sweet, everythings away again" and had bit of a chat to him... he
    > admitted he wasnt actually paid to do house wiring etc, hes actually a

    main
    > line installer/latyer etc (ie: the overheard lines) so he was a bity rusty
    > on house wiring etc.
    >
    > Off he went... 5 mins later the voice lines went dead again. Called

    Telecom
    > again and they sent the same guy back. He fiddled some more with the DSL
    > splitter and everything came back again.
    >
    > Since then, Ive had crap DSL connections compared to what I use to get....
    > drop outs (5 in 10mins at times) and lousy upstream rates. Im not too
    > worried about the upstream/downstream long as it stays above 128 (which it
    > is only just doing atm @192 upstream).
    >
    > I called Telecom and they claim itll be my problem and that Ill have to

    pay
    > for a tech to come out and fix the lines. I reckon that this is BS and its
    > their fault for sending out a non-experienced tech in the first place.
    >
    > What do you lot think ?
    > I should pay or should Telecom ???

    Dont you pay the $2 a month for wiring maintenance? I thought that is what
    its for?

    Rider
    Rider, Nov 19, 2003

  3. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > > What do you lot think ?
    > > I should pay or should Telecom ???
    > >

    > Dont you pay the $2 a month for wiring maintenance? I thought that is what
    > its for?

    Youd think that wouldnt you, but as far as Telecom is concerned, everything
    is running. :(
    Ill throw that to them as well tho when I ring them back to stir a bit more
    :)
    XPD, Nov 19, 2003
  4. XPD

    SNOman Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>What do you lot think ?
    >>> I should pay or should Telecom ???
    >>>

    >>Dont you pay the $2 a month for wiring maintenance? I thought that is what
    >>its for?

    > Youd think that wouldnt you, but as far as Telecom is concerned, everything
    > is running. :(
    > Ill throw that to them as well tho when I ring them back to stir a bit more
    > :)

    If you logged a call re your voice line dropping out and thats been
    fixed and now your DSL is dropping out then log a new call to say that
    your DSL drops out. That's what I'd do anyway. As long as it's dropping
    out then Telecom will have to do something about it.
    SNOman, Nov 19, 2003
  5. XPD

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I know I could ask this in the NZADSL mailing list but I cant be a**ed
    > signing up again for 1 question to be answered :)
    >
    > Recently our home lines went dead for voice. DSL (Jetstream Starter) was
    > still running quite happily. Contacted Telecom and they sent a guy out to
    > fix the problem.... he turned up, and started playing around and the phones
    > came back. To do this he fiddled with the ADSL splitter (telecom installed)
    > and the jackpoints where the DSL is plugged in.
    > Thought "sweet, everythings away again" and had bit of a chat to him... he
    > admitted he wasnt actually paid to do house wiring etc, hes actually a main
    > line installer/latyer etc (ie: the overheard lines) so he was a bity rusty
    > on house wiring etc.
    >
    > Off he went... 5 mins later the voice lines went dead again. Called Telecom
    > again and they sent the same guy back. He fiddled some more with the DSL
    > splitter and everything came back again.
    >
    > Since then, Ive had crap DSL connections compared to what I use to get....
    > drop outs (5 in 10mins at times) and lousy upstream rates. Im not too
    > worried about the upstream/downstream long as it stays above 128 (which it
    > is only just doing atm @192 upstream).
    >
    > I called Telecom and they claim itll be my problem and that Ill have to pay
    > for a tech to come out and fix the lines. I reckon that this is BS and its
    > their fault for sending out a non-experienced tech in the first place.
    >
    > What do you lot think ?
    > I should pay or should Telecom ???

    It's your side of the wiring, you pay.
    After all you paid the installation charges in the first place.
    Mainlander, Nov 19, 2003
  6. On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:33:43 +1300, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >What do you lot think ?
    > I should pay or should Telecom ???

    Hell, just tell Telecom to go and get stuffed -- get your DSL from
    another supplier. Oh,... ha, that's right, I fogot -- it's called a
    *monopoly* so you can't go elsewhere and Telecom don't have to do a
    damned thing.

    Unbundle the local loop - that's what I say!

    Bruce Simpson, Nov 19, 2003
  7. XPD

    SNOman Guest

    Mainlander wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>I know I could ask this in the NZADSL mailing list but I cant be a**ed
    >>signing up again for 1 question to be answered :)
    >>
    >>Recently our home lines went dead for voice. DSL (Jetstream Starter) was
    >>still running quite happily. Contacted Telecom and they sent a guy out to
    >>fix the problem.... he turned up, and started playing around and the phones
    >>came back. To do this he fiddled with the ADSL splitter (telecom installed)
    >>and the jackpoints where the DSL is plugged in.
    >>Thought "sweet, everythings away again" and had bit of a chat to him... he
    >>admitted he wasnt actually paid to do house wiring etc, hes actually a main
    >>line installer/latyer etc (ie: the overheard lines) so he was a bity rusty
    >>on house wiring etc.
    >>
    >>Off he went... 5 mins later the voice lines went dead again. Called Telecom
    >>again and they sent the same guy back. He fiddled some more with the DSL
    >>splitter and everything came back again.
    >>
    >>Since then, Ive had crap DSL connections compared to what I use to get....
    >>drop outs (5 in 10mins at times) and lousy upstream rates. Im not too
    >>worried about the upstream/downstream long as it stays above 128 (which it
    >>is only just doing atm @192 upstream).
    >>
    >>I called Telecom and they claim itll be my problem and that Ill have to pay
    >>for a tech to come out and fix the lines. I reckon that this is BS and its
    >>their fault for sending out a non-experienced tech in the first place.
    >>
    >>What do you lot think ?
    >> I should pay or should Telecom ???

    > It's your side of the wiring, you pay.
    > After all you paid the installation charges in the first place.

    Not so. Telecom should be coming to check it out as the splitter was
    installed by them in the first place. If the problem is downstream from
    there ie wiring in your house then obviously you will need to pay. at
    the splitter or upstream then it's telescums problem.
    SNOman, Nov 19, 2003
  8. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "SNOman" <> wrote in message
    > > It's your side of the wiring, you pay.
    > > After all you paid the installation charges in the first place.

    > Not so. Telecom should be coming to check it out as the splitter was
    > installed by them in the first place. If the problem is downstream from
    > there ie wiring in your house then obviously you will need to pay. at
    > the splitter or upstream then it's telescums problem.

    But it was their tech who fudged with the internal wiring...... even our
    cordless phones have gone to crap apparently since he fiddled. (I dont use
    the cordles so didnt know until my gf mentioned it)

    Argh.... time to ring and b**ch at them anyway.
    XPD, Nov 19, 2003
  9. XPD

    steve Guest

    Bruce Simpson allegedly said:

    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:33:43 +1300, "XPD" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What do you lot think ?
    >> I should pay or should Telecom ???

    > Hell, just tell Telecom to go and get stuffed -- get your DSL from
    > another supplier. Oh,... ha, that's right, I fogot -- it's called a
    > *monopoly* so you can't go elsewhere and Telecom don't have to do a
    > damned thing.
    >
    > Unbundle the local loop - that's what I say!

    Agreed.

    Plus.....if you pay your monthly wiring maintenance charge, then they should
    be fixing it. Otherwise, what are you paying for?

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Nov 19, 2003
  10. XPD

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in

    dont use the cordles so didnt know until my gf mentioned it)

    > Argh.... time to ring and b**ch at them anyway.

    If your not happy ask to speak to a supervisor. The way I see it, why
    should you pay for something to be fixed when it was working OK before they
    altered something ? IMO the original job has not been completed to a
    working standard
    Chris Mayhew, Nov 19, 2003
  11. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > "XPD" <> wrote in
    >
    > dont use the cordles so didnt know until my gf mentioned it)
    > >
    > > Argh.... time to ring and b**ch at them anyway.
    > >

    > If your not happy ask to speak to a supervisor. The way I see it, why
    > should you pay for something to be fixed when it was working OK before

    they
    > altered something ? IMO the original job has not been completed to a
    > working standard

    Theyre sending someone out ASAP to fix it :)
    Hehehe....
    Finally, Telecom are doing something for a common pleb ;)
    XPD, Nov 19, 2003
  12. XPD

    rob Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > > "XPD" <> wrote in
    > >
    > > dont use the cordles so didnt know until my gf mentioned it)
    > > >
    > > > Argh.... time to ring and b**ch at them anyway.
    > > >

    > > If your not happy ask to speak to a supervisor. The way I see it, why
    > > should you pay for something to be fixed when it was working OK before

    > they
    > > altered something ? IMO the original job has not been completed to a
    > > working standard

    > Theyre sending someone out ASAP to fix it :)
    > Hehehe....
    > Finally, Telecom are doing something for a common pleb ;)

    fair enough, I can't believe they tried to weasel out of that one.
    In my experience it really depends on the person you get to speak to - a
    couple of times I've managed to get thru to someone who doesn't slip and
    slither and is in a position to be extremely helpful and even on one
    occasion offer compensation.
    There must be loads of folk who just get brushed off though.
    rgds
    rob
    rob, Nov 19, 2003
  13. On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:33:43 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > I called Telecom and they claim itll be my problem and that Ill have to pay
    > for a tech to come out and fix the lines. I reckon that this is BS and its
    > their fault for sending out a non-experienced tech in the first place.

    If you pay wiring maintenace then they _must_ do the work for free.

    If they try to charge you for fixing house wiring you're already paying a
    maintenance charge for, then they're double dipping.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Nov 19, 2003
  14. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > What do you lot think ?
    > I should pay or should Telecom ???

    Wheee....

    DSL status: OK (upstream 896, downstream 7072 kbit/s)
    (bit better than the upstream of 192 and downstream of 2048 i was getting
    before)

    Telecom been and gone, all fixed now.... FYI: Last guy who was here to "fix"
    the lines, apparently he totally fudged up and made the filter next to
    useless. Therefore I was getting crap DSL layer and thats why it was
    dropping and getting crap connections. But all go now :)
    XPD, Nov 19, 2003
  15. XPD

    Rider Guest

    "rob" <> wrote in message

    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > > > "XPD" <> wrote in
    > > >
    > > > dont use the cordles so didnt know until my gf mentioned it)

    > > > If your not happy ask to speak to a supervisor. The way I see it, why
    > > > should you pay for something to be fixed when it was working OK before

    > > they
    > > > altered something ? IMO the original job has not been completed to a
    > > > working standard

    > > Theyre sending someone out ASAP to fix it :)
    > > Hehehe....
    > > Finally, Telecom are doing something for a common pleb ;)
    > >

    > fair enough, I can't believe they tried to weasel out of that one.
    > In my experience it really depends on the person you get to speak to - a
    > couple of times I've managed to get thru to someone who doesn't slip and
    > slither and is in a position to be extremely helpful and even on one
    > occasion offer compensation.
    > There must be loads of folk who just get brushed off though.
    > rgds
    > rob

    Usually with Telescum, the louder you ask for something the more likely it
    is you will
    A) Get it done quickly
    B) Get it done for free
    Rider, Nov 19, 2003
  16. On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:25:33 +1300, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >"XPD" <> wrote in message
    >> What do you lot think ?
    >> I should pay or should Telecom ???
    >>

    >Wheee....
    >
    > DSL status: OK (upstream 896, downstream 7072 kbit/s)
    > (bit better than the upstream of 192 and downstream of 2048 i was getting
    >before)
    >
    >Telecom been and gone, all fixed now.... FYI: Last guy who was here to "fix"
    >the lines, apparently he totally fudged up and made the filter next to
    >useless. Therefore I was getting crap DSL layer and thats why it was
    >dropping and getting crap connections. But all go now :)

    So you've got to wonder how many people would have just taken
    Telecom's initial response as being the true answer and left things as
    they were -- being forced to put up with crappy DSL and voice services
    because of the company's lame-brained attitudes.

    Bruce Simpson, Nov 19, 2003
  17. XPD

    Jerry Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:42:05 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >Usually with Telescum, the louder you ask for something the more likely it
    >is you will
    >A) Get it done quickly
    >B) Get it done for free

    That is true with a lot of companies, or hit the CEO with e-mails or
    phone calls or snail mail, you will usually get what you want.

    Jerry
    Jerry, Nov 20, 2003