'DSL'... Which puter should make 'Master?'

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Camel, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. Camel

    Camel Guest

    Hi:
    After having installed all of DSL kit that was sent by its provider,
    DSL failed due to 'bad/wrong' Moden(router incld.).
    Connection/Network failed, although a first puter/Master
    worked like a charm.

    However, a failure of DSL cost me a lot of work, because
    I was told to 'delete' cookies < Intrernet Option < Tools.
    Also, my 'Dial-up' didn't come up after this 'havoc' along with
    very slow start-up. Luckily, I corrected by using tools and programs
    I installed before DSL. Spent all morning for this to correct.

    My question is;
    I have three computers(all, same), then I want to use a third,
    ' least used computer' as being "Master,'
    just in case, although I'm sure this NOT happen again if they
    send a brand/good Modem.

    Your inputs, suggestion and advices on this would be very grateful.

    Camel, Feb 7, 2006

  2. Hi

    I doubt that what you described as anything to do with the Modem.

    If you have is a combo Modem/Router, then either the Router part is bad, or
    you did not configure the Network correctly.

    The content of the following links will provide you with a basic tutorial
    about Sharing Internet connetion; it is short and to the point.

    The first two pages were written by me ages ago. Ignore the prices, and the
    specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles they are still the
    same.

    Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -

    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -

    The whole thing should look like this.

    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

    If indeed you have a Modem/Router, it means that the two devices are in the
    same plastic box however the principles are still the same.

    DSL Authentication here, http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 7, 2006