dsl versus cable and other common problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by mcs, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. mcs

    mcs Guest

    I have seen the comments and I have tried both cable and dsl and if you ask
    me they are
    close to the same. The main issues are speed and correct settings. Internet
    service providers must spend more time to get settings right. Each tech
    support staff doesn't always know how to attain best settings to each
    different computer. I am not sure though that they need to have a different
    standard for each computer though as oppossed to just having competent staff
    who can correctly diagnosis each problem. I do think tech staff is poorly
    trained at Verizon too often mostly because they don't know how to diagnosis
    conflicts in puters and especially network. Sometimes your computer comes
    installed with a network card thats different then the one you need like
    Netgear for example. If you then install two you might get conflict. Do you
    have settings right in communication ports for dsl or cable? . That said the
    speed for dsl is ok if you have your
    puter in good shape and comparable to cable in my opinion. . Some things to
    think about:
    Is your network ethernet card installed correctly, is your dsl software
    installed correctly, is your communication ports installed for network? The
    bottom line is so many things can interfere with speed that its up to the
    individual staff for each isp to help consumer utilize fast service
    especially when it comes to network settings and properties settings in
    device manager. I have been told so many wrong
    things from Verizon staff and its interesting how each person rationalizes
    the problems . The staff is so full of themselves and they are wrong too
    often. Thats not to say there are some good people at Verizon also. I am
    just glad I was able to get this going without buying a new puter every time
    I needed to. Ulitmately I didnt have to replace my old compact computer
    like I was told and it runs nicely when no conflicts in computer is
    present.If you get a virus or spy that you can't get rid of, just take yur
    installation disk out and start all over. You might have to reinstall all
    your programs but its worth it. Believe it or not I still don't know how to
    use backup .
    I just wonder how many people give up on their puter because of spyware or
    because of wrong settings. I would also NOT download any system accelator or
    antispyware program I am not sure about.. I rarely find its the box or the
    home unit that causes the problems, more likely the computer or network
    settings or settings in device manager. I find a good firewall and maybe
    even a good anti spy program and
    updates from microsoft is all you need. Another suggestion : if you come
    across a program that won't let you continue unless you click on " download"
    or it freezes your screen, or you know is dangerous, don't click on
    download or anywhere in that box , instead do this: , click on Control ,
    then Alt, and delete at the same time. Then you
    will see where you can end the task for that page your on. Push end the task
    and your computer will take you out of that danger point before you mess
    your puter up. Steve

    mcs, Dec 1, 2004

  2. mcs

    Ross Durie Guest

    Simply use a tool/registry patch from somewhere like
    http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php. I'm not actually sure what problems
    people have as have never had one. Just plug router into switch, computer
    into switch, configure router and away you go. Never had a virus (use NAV
    2003), never had spyware (use Spybot).

    I'm not sure about what you mean by "different than the one you need" as
    NICs are generic and should work with any compatible network equipment. What
    "dsl software"? you shouldn't have any, use a router.

    DSL services in some countries are comparable to cable services, e.g., in
    New Zealand (only specific areas have cable) cable services are limited to 2
    Mbps down. http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/

    An older expensive full speed DSL service provides me with in access of 6
    Mbps down/768 kps up - @ $80 Pacific pesos/month (NZ$1 = US$0.71). The most
    popular/cheap DSL plans here were only running at 256 kbps but have now been
    replaced with various restricted (no static IP and slow uplink of 192 kbps)
    256k/1 M/2 Mbps (this last one may be a full speed plan but I doubt it)
    plans. http://www.telecom.co.nz/jsplans

    --
    Ross

    Ross Durie, Dec 1, 2004

  3. mcs

    mcs Guest

    Ross to tell you the truth I was hoping to start a thread about which is
    better, cable or dsl. . I honestly have negatives and positives about dsl.I
    have no idea what the benefits of a router are and is, sorry. Some older
    computers like mine can have issues using Windows 98. I probably will
    definitely upgrade - what to the AMD atheon 64 chip processors by end of
    year or beginning of next year when more computers come out using them and
    they get a bit more inexpensive. The chips I heard are as cheap as the 3200
    processors but they are not tried and tested with software and memory I
    guess long enough , .. at least thats what I was told . Steve

    mcs, Dec 2, 2004
  4. mcs

    Ross Durie Guest

    The only 98 issue was to do with an upgrade from 95 and the older versin of
    Winsock. Simply upgrade it. I have 3 PCs in a LAN runing 98SE, XP Pro, 2K
    Pro, 2K Server, NT Workstation, Fedora Core 3 and have never had any
    problems with DSL.

    So tell me about these bad things in more detail.

    --
    Ross

    ,

    Ross Durie, Dec 2, 2004
  5. mcs

    dan Guest

    Cable receives faster speeds and especially during downloads.

    dan, Dec 2, 2004
  6. mcs

    Ross Durie Guest

    What do you mean by fast given I get 6 Mbps from a DSL connection.

    --
    Ross

    Ross Durie, Dec 2, 2004
  7. mcs

    Thor Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message
    > Cable receives faster speeds and especially during downloads.

    not necessarily. DSL typically is offered in a variety of bandwidth options,
    many far exceed what you typically get from cable service.

    Thor, Dec 2, 2004
  8. mcs

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > not necessarily. DSL typically is offered in a variety of bandwidth
    > options, many far exceed what you typically get from cable service.

    Right. Depending on the price level, and area. In my area, cable is
    $40/month, DSL is $32.95/month. Cable is 3mbit/192k, DSL is between
    768k/128k, 1.5mbit/128k, 1.5mbit/384k (all DSL here is the same price). My
    employer does have some special needs DSL customers that pay us a boatload
    more for a 7mbit connection. Can't generally lump things like this out and
    say one is better than the other, it all depends on the circumstances.

    Jim Berwick, Dec 2, 2004
  9. mcs

    Guest

    In phl.media Jim Berwick <> wrote:
    : "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    :> not necessarily. DSL typically is offered in a variety of bandwidth
    :> options, many far exceed what you typically get from cable service.
    :>

    : Right. Depending on the price level, and area. In my area, cable is
    : $40/month, DSL is $32.95/month. Cable is 3mbit/192k, DSL is between
    : 768k/128k, 1.5mbit/128k, 1.5mbit/384k (all DSL here is the same price). My
    : employer does have some special needs DSL customers that pay us a boatload
    : more for a 7mbit connection. Can't generally lump things like this out and
    : say one is better than the other, it all depends on the circumstances.

    I need a static IP where I can run my own mail/web server. Cable
    doesn't offer that at all, while it can be bought with DSL.

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    | (610) 359-1001

    , Dec 2, 2004
  10. mcs

    Jim Berwick Guest

    wrote in news:pbNrd.5607$Pd2.2345593
    @monger.newsread.com:

    > I need a static IP where I can run my own mail/web server. Cable
    > doesn't offer that at all, while it can be bought with DSL.

    In my area, comcast offers a "business" cable deal, for like $20/month more
    you get 4 static IPs, I believe. While my employer's DSL comes with a
    static IP, running a server is forbidden and grounds for suspension.

    Jim Berwick, Dec 3, 2004
  11. mcs

    derek / nul Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:28:53 GMT, "mcs" <> wrote:

    >Ross to tell you the truth I was hoping to start a thread about which is
    >better, cable or dsl. . I honestly have negatives and positives about dsl.I
    >have no idea what the benefits of a router are and is, sorry. Some older
    >computers like mine can have issues using Windows 98. I probably will
    >definitely upgrade - what to the AMD atheon 64 chip processors by end of
    >year or beginning of next year when more computers come out using them and
    >they get a bit more inexpensive. The chips I heard are as cheap as the 3200
    >processors but they are not tried and tested with software and memory I
    >guess long enough , .. at least thats what I was told . Steve

    Don't believe what you are told as its wrong or outdated, I have been running an
    A64 since the day they came out, I have run 98, W2k and XP on it no problem.

    derek / nul, Dec 4, 2004
  12. mcs

    Kyote Guest

    >not necessarily. DSL typically is offered in a variety of bandwidth options,
    >many far exceed what you typically get from cable service.

    This I didn't know. I've been telling my friends that Cable is faster
    than DSL from my past experience. But then my comparison is from me
    using charter for cable and having 3mbs as opposed to 2 friends of
    mine that use sbc's dsl and they get download streams at less than 1/2
    of what I was getting when I had charter. So I generally thought that
    DSL was slower. I guess I should have figured that my friends were not
    so computer savvy and needing or wanting the faster speeds. So they
    would get the cheapest instead of the best plan. Thanks for making me
    open my eyes.

    -------------
    Scott D.

    Kyote, Dec 4, 2004
  13. mcs

    mcs Guest

    Ross I have compaq presario running on 400 megahertz . I am not sure if I
    am or was to upgrade the Winsok but it came with Win 98 you think I should
    get a copy of 98SE , I have around 250 ram. What are the problems? Well many
    times dsl is just barely sustains my desire for speed. I have been
    fortunate though, that I got good mileage with this computer over the years
    for the basics. Whenever I download anything bad and I can;t get rid of it,
    I just put installation disk and learned to get rid of many useless
    programs under config and startup or add and delete programs.Allot of the
    deleting of programs is guesswork but if I were to run the system with
    firewall and virus software it would crawl. so I use the anti spy Microsoft
    and yahoo allows one to use. Steve.

    mcs, Dec 4, 2004
  14. mcs

    Guest Guest

    Re: dsl versus cable and other common problem - off topic

    can we take this out of phl.media??

    Guest, Dec 4, 2004
  15. mcs

    Guest Guest

    what does this have to do with phl.media?

    Guest, Dec 4, 2004
  16. On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 08:51:57 -0500, <riggor> wrote:

    >what does this have to do with phl.media?

    .........Absolutely nothing and yes the post is off-topic. Steve (mcs)
    doesn't have a clue about newsgroup heirarchy and topical
    posts........

    I've also tried to get him to post air pollution his rants in
    pa.environment to no avail.

    Maybe when he learns writing composition and comprehension skills
    there will be a glimmer of hope.

    Regards,

    ge

    Gary J. English, Dec 4, 2004