    internet traffic from the router

    Thanks

    Greg

    Greg, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Greg

    ac Guest

    In article <bt3dnd$3v9$>, says...
    > Anyone know of a program that will measure the amount of internet
    > traffic, I've already d/l DU Meter, but that also measures ethernet
    > traffic and counts data moving between computer instead of just the
    > internet traffic from the router
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Greg

    Ah yes pretty pointless that program for routers.
    Since most routers provide access via snmp, you can use mrtg to gather
    stats (well for linux at least). This will monitor both incoming and
    outgoing packets.

    Of course if the router makers provided such software it would be
    helpful.

    Another option is to stick a firewall (just for logging only) on a pc
    between your wee LAN and the router itself. Kind of annoying though
    espcially if your router already provides good firewalling/intruder
    detection capabilities.

    ac, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Greg

    Tom Parker Guest

    Greg <> wrote:

    >Anyone know of a program that will measure the amount of internet
    >traffic, I've already d/l DU Meter, but that also measures ethernet
    >traffic and counts data moving between computer instead of just the
    >internet traffic from the router

    Depending on your DSL plan, you may also be charged for any traffic that the
    router turns away (such as probes by various worms). Unless you can monitor
    this, you won't be able to fully understand what is going on. Some routers
    provide MRTG or some other interface that will help you here.

    --
    Tom Parker -
    - http://www.carrott.org

    Tom Parker, Jan 2, 2004
  4. In article <bt3dnd$3v9$>, Greg <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone know of a program that will measure the amount of internet
    >traffic, I've already d/l DU Meter, but that also measures ethernet
    >traffic and counts data moving between computer instead of just the
    >internet traffic from the router

    If you're on Jetstream, why not just go to the JetStream usage page
    <http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,200343-200551,00.html>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <bt3dnd$3v9$>, Greg <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone know of a program that will measure the amount of internet
    >>traffic, I've already d/l DU Meter, but that also measures ethernet
    >>traffic and counts data moving between computer instead of just the
    >>internet traffic from the router

    > If you're on Jetstream, why not just go to the JetStream usage page
    > <http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,200343-200551,00.html>.

    1) would you trust telecom?
    2) there are several computer hooked up to the router, and I'm trying to
    monitor the internet traffic on each one

    Greg, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Greg

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 07:45:36 +1300, Greg <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <bt3dnd$3v9$>, Greg <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Anyone know of a program that will measure the amount of internet
    >>>traffic, I've already d/l DU Meter, but that also measures ethernet
    >>>traffic and counts data moving between computer instead of just the
    >>>internet traffic from the router

    >> If you're on Jetstream, why not just go to the JetStream usage page
    >> <http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,200343-200551,00.html>.

    >1) would you trust telecom?

    Those are the numbers that you get charged on. Why not monitor them?

    >2) there are several computer hooked up to the router, and I'm trying to
    >monitor the internet traffic on each one

    I'm building a firewall to go between the modem and the network. It's
    easy to then monitor the traffic through the firewall.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.

    Enkidu, Jan 2, 2004
  7. Greg

    TC Guest

    Far more than I trust IHUG.
    For Deceber IHUG showed me as using over 11Gb of bandwidth .The
    Jetstream homeline counter has 7.5Gb, which is pretty close to my own
    DU Meter figures.
    IMHO IHUG has a serious problem with their counter and won't admit it
    as it would cost them revenue.

    TC, Jan 4, 2004
  8. On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 01:17:36 +1300, TC wrote:

    > Far more than I trust IHUG.
    > For Deceber IHUG showed me as using over 11Gb of bandwidth .The
    > Jetstream homeline counter has 7.5Gb, which is pretty close to my own
    > DU Meter figures.
    > IMHO IHUG has a serious problem with their counter and won't admit it
    > as it would cost them revenue.

    It's quite possible that the Ihug counter AND your counters are accurate.

    if the Ihug counter is in the USA then it may be seeing all the
    retransmissions, etc due to network congestion.

    It's called "network overhead"

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 4, 2004