    is doing just fine.

    Doesn't appear to be a bandwidth constraint......given how assymetric the
    data rates are.
    steve, Jan 14, 2006

  2. steve

    Stu Fleming Guest

    steve wrote:

    > You'd wonder why the upstream leg is stuffed while the downward through put
    > is doing just fine.
    >
    > Doesn't appear to be a bandwidth constraint......given how assymetric the
    > data rates are.

    If you choke the bandwidth off at the subscriber end, you don't need to
    invest so heavily in layer-7 traffic shaping...
    Stu Fleming, Jan 15, 2006

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    Stu Fleming wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> You'd wonder why the upstream leg is stuffed while the downward through
    >> put is doing just fine.
    >>
    >> Doesn't appear to be a bandwidth constraint......given how assymetric the
    >> data rates are.

    > If you choke the bandwidth off at the subscriber end, you don't need to
    > invest so heavily in layer-7 traffic shaping...

    Sounds about right .
    steve, Jan 15, 2006
  4. steve

    aum Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:31:25 +1300, steve wrote:

    > You'd wonder why the upstream leg is stuffed while the downward through put
    > is doing just fine.

    Because we're just stupid fucken consumers who don't know shit.

    Anyone who gripes about lack of upstream bandwidth is a friggin leftist
    douchebag who wants to destroy free enterprise.

    We're not supposed to use any upstream at all, except for http
    requests and smtp connections (and, I guess, a bit of chat and usenet
    posting).

    Forget 'ADSL' - that's misrepresentation. Best call it 'UDSL' -
    'unidirectional digital subscriber line'.

    Because - we're all just meant to sit here, consume and pay. And keep
    paying. Without question. And believe what we're told. Always.

    We're not meant to disrupt the mass media owners' time-honoured
    traditional role of gatekeepers of information flow and public perception.

    At last, big business is finally cleaning up the hippie anarchist
    terrorist fantasy world the internet momentarily turned out to be.

    (Watch out for developments in USA - where ISPs are prioritising bandwidth
    based on which websites you visit - to visit sites not affiliated with the
    ISP (read: not sending payola to the ISP, or doing other favours for the
    ISP), you'll have to pay premium subscription rates. No premium
    subscription, then www.janes-independent-pottery-business.com will load at
    0.01kB/s. Just a matter of time before Telecom try it on in NZ)

    --

    Cheers
    aum
    aum, Jan 15, 2006
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    aum wrote:

    > At last, big business is finally cleaning up the hippie anarchist
    > terrorist fantasy world the internet momentarily turned out to be.

    Even 128k would be alright if I actually GOT 128k. You can move a GB / day
    at that speed.

    > (Watch out for developments in USA - where ISPs are prioritising bandwidth
    > based on which websites you visit - to visit sites not affiliated with the
    > ISP (read: not sending payola to the ISP, or doing other favours for the
    > ISP), you'll have to pay premium subscription rates. No premium
    > subscription, then www.janes-independent-pottery-business.com will load at
    > 0.01kB/s. Just a matter of time before Telecom try it on in NZ)

    Probably too late......
    steve, Jan 15, 2006
  6. steve

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:55:05 +1300, steve wrote:

    > aum wrote:
    >

    >> (Watch out for developments in USA - where ISPs are prioritising bandwidth
    >> based on which websites you visit - to visit sites not affiliated with the
    >> ISP (read: not sending payola to the ISP, or doing other favours for the
    >> ISP), you'll have to pay premium subscription rates. No premium
    >> subscription, then www.janes-independent-pottery-business.com will load at
    >> 0.01kB/s. Just a matter of time before Telecom try it on in NZ)

    > Probably too late......

    FUD
    Steve, Jan 15, 2006
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:55:05 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    >> aum wrote:
    >>

    >>> (Watch out for developments in USA - where ISPs are prioritising
    >>> bandwidth based on which websites you visit - to visit sites not
    >>> affiliated with the ISP (read: not sending payola to the ISP, or doing
    >>> other favours for the ISP), you'll have to pay premium subscription
    >>> rates. No premium subscription, then
    >>> www.janes-independent-pottery-business.com will load at 0.01kB/s. Just a
    >>> matter of time before Telecom try it on in NZ)

    >> Probably too late......

    > FUD

    .....and?
    steve, Jan 15, 2006