DSL Troubleshooting---HELP!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lungnut2002@yahoo.com, May 16, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Verizon DSL problem here. Tech support is clueless and claims the line
    tests they've run (remote line tests--they haven't come out to my home)
    report a clean line.

    The line runs to an ActionTec Gateway which connects four computers via
    ethernet plus one other via wireless. I am confident that this is not a
    hardware problem, as the hardware is new and was purchased to replace a
    modem/router combo which I suspected was the root of the problem (which
    of course it wasn't, as I'm still experiencing the problem).

    The problem: Sustained downloads (say downloads lasting more than an
    hour) result in an eventual slow down and loss of internet connection.
    The loss of connection happens for all users on the network no matter
    who is responsible for the sustained downloading (as well as the one
    downloading).

    Here's an oddity: Even though web pages won't load, most times the
    download will continue. I also play poker online, and if I'm playing, I
    can usually continue even if web pages refuse to load (remember--this
    happens to all computers on the network, not just one).

    We have a mix of PC's and Mac's, too. Both experience the same problem.

    The only "cure" for the problem is turning the modem/gateway off then
    on. The problem will then repeat without fail with any sustained
    downloading.

    With no sustained downloads, the connection usually remains stable.
    However, it does at times cut out in a similar way. Again, the only
    "cure" is a modem off/on.

    I don't use a landline phone, so there are none connected to the line.
    The line exists solely for DSL, and there is no filter on the line
    (i.e., I don't have a phone-filter mistakenly installed on the DSL
    line).

    Any idea what may be causing this? Or any idea on what I can do to
    alleviate it? It's a real drag. I've spent approximately 20 hours on
    the phone over the past five weeks with Verizon tech support. The
    problem still exists and they seem at a total loss to explain it.
    Perhaps cable is a better option?
    , May 16, 2006

    Mellowed, May 16, 2006

  3. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > The line runs to an ActionTec Gateway which connects four computers
    > via ethernet plus one other via wireless.

    I don't know if an ActionTec acts like a hub or like a router, but once
    upon a time I saw some screwy things going on when I had a network on a
    simple hub instead of a switch router and the hub had an 'extra'
    ethernet cable running off to 'nowhere', that is, no longer connected to
    a socket/nic at its end -- ie 'unterminated'

    Someone explained to me that the combination of a simple hub instead of
    a router and a 25 foot unterminated ethernet cable could lead to some
    kind of 'collisions' that I didn't really understand very well. Cisco
    has an article on troubleshooting collisions, but I didn't read it since
    I didn't need to have an unterminated ethernet cable, and I also don't
    use a simple hub anymore
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/eth_collisions.html Troubleshooting
    Ethernet Collisions

    One of the problems you are going to have getting Verizon to help you
    troubleshoot the problem is that it doesn't sound like a problem with
    the WAN or the Verizon part of the network, it sounds like a problem
    with the LAN. Most access providers disavow any responsibility to
    troubleshoot your LAN. They only agree to troubleshoot one computer
    hooked to one DSL. If you hookup just one computer to the internet
    without your LAN, what happens then? Where without your LAN means that
    you disconnect everything but one from the gateway device.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 16, 2006
  4. pcbutts1 Guest

    Bypass the router and connect directly to the modem with only 1 computer. If
    you still have the problem then it is with your line or the modem. Check the
    phone box outside your house, make sure there are no filter or boosters on
    the line. Some phone companies used to use boosters if you have more then 3
    phone jacks in you house. If it works fine when directly connected then the
    problem is your router, try updating the firmware for it.

    pcbutts1, May 16, 2006
  5. Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>Verizon DSL problem here. Tech support is clueless and claims the line
    |>tests they've run (remote line tests--they haven't come out to my home)
    |>report a clean line.

    Good tweaking area
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=97

    Make sure you have your username and password for the actionTEC - Then
    on the back is a reset button press and hold in for 10sec - this will
    reset (duh) you modem. access the modem and reenter your info.

    |>Here's an oddity: Even though web pages won't load, most times the
    |>download will continue. I also play poker online, and if I'm playing, I
    |>can usually continue even if web pages refuse to load (remember--this
    |>happens to all computers on the network, not just one).

    Online poker games usually come with malware, make sure you trust your
    program.

    Lots of good networking programs here
    http://www.sysinternals.com/NetworkingUtilities.html try TCPview and
    see what's going on.

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    Trax, May 16, 2006
  6. fkasner Guest

    wrote:
    > Verizon DSL problem here. Tech support is clueless and claims the line
    > tests they've run (remote line tests--they haven't come out to my home)
    > report a clean line.
    >
    > The line runs to an ActionTec Gateway which connects four computers via
    > ethernet plus one other via wireless. I am confident that this is not a
    > hardware problem, as the hardware is new and was purchased to replace a
    > modem/router combo which I suspected was the root of the problem (which
    > of course it wasn't, as I'm still experiencing the problem).
    >
    > The problem: Sustained downloads (say downloads lasting more than an
    > hour) result in an eventual slow down and loss of internet connection.
    > The loss of connection happens for all users on the network no matter
    > who is responsible for the sustained downloading (as well as the one
    > downloading).
    >
    > Here's an oddity: Even though web pages won't load, most times the
    > download will continue. I also play poker online, and if I'm playing, I
    > can usually continue even if web pages refuse to load (remember--this
    > happens to all computers on the network, not just one).
    >
    > We have a mix of PC's and Mac's, too. Both experience the same problem.
    >
    > The only "cure" for the problem is turning the modem/gateway off then
    > on. The problem will then repeat without fail with any sustained
    > downloading.
    >
    > With no sustained downloads, the connection usually remains stable.
    > However, it does at times cut out in a similar way. Again, the only
    > "cure" is a modem off/on.
    >
    > I don't use a landline phone, so there are none connected to the line.
    > The line exists solely for DSL, and there is no filter on the line
    > (i.e., I don't have a phone-filter mistakenly installed on the DSL
    > line).
    >
    > Any idea what may be causing this? Or any idea on what I can do to
    > alleviate it? It's a real drag. I've spent approximately 20 hours on
    > the phone over the past five weeks with Verizon tech support. The
    > problem still exists and they seem at a total loss to explain it.
    > Perhaps cable is a better option?

    I use a DSL provided by SBC.Yahoo.com . I sometimes get a less severe
    version of what you describe. I have an XPPro, Me, and SuSE10.0 set of
    boxes attached to a router. The total download speed is a function of
    the number of boxes actually sharing the DSL for downloads and the
    length of time I have them downloading. I suspect that part of the
    problem is the host server that gives me a slice of the output from
    which I am downloading. In some cases I find that the speed will
    increase (if initially quite slow) as time goes on but most times the
    speed decreases as time goes on and the server decides which client
    deserves a larger slice of output. I've had some cases where the rate of
    download was as little as less than 1 kB/s. I find if I want to download
    a very large file (many GB) I can get a better download speed if I
    disconnect the other two computers from the router and then switch the
    main computer directly to the switch (DSL modem). Note also that most
    routers push stuff through a firewall and that can slow things somewhat.
    You might take a look at the settings you employ when using the router
    by accessing 192.168.0.x which is the router's IP address. You will
    probably get some software that allows changing settings.

    If you problem is that you really are using just a LAN with the clients
    reaching the ISP only through the main computer you may be overloading
    the resources it provides and thus are slowing down the computer. You
    might try to add more RAM if you are laboring with only 512 MB.
    FK
    fkasner, May 16, 2006
  7. 83LowRider Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Verizon DSL problem here. Tech support is clueless and claims the line
    > tests they've run (remote line tests--they haven't come out to my home)
    > report a clean line.

    <snip>

    I had a similar problem due to the fact that I was at the
    extreme limits of the DSL line. (about 12,000 feet iirc)

    I had a slower service (1.5MB) which ran fine for three
    years. An upgrade in service (to 5.0MB) was causing
    my modem to reset every few hours, thus losing service.

    After having two techs here for two days, they finally came
    to the conclusion that the problem was the distance, and that
    an increase in speed meant an exponential increase in modem
    errors.. they backed my speed down to 3.0MB, and altho
    the modem still builds errors, my disconnects happen only
    every four or five days now. Just a possiblity.
    83LowRider, May 17, 2006