DSL speed test

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gib Bogle, Oct 23, 2009.

  1. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    First, I moved the wireless router, and now get fast pings with no
    packet loss between the downstairs machine and the router.

    I have a different issue that is not related to the wireless link. I've
    been noticing really bad performance when connecting to sites overseas.
    It seems to be a packet-loss issue, and possible exceedance of
    timeouts at the other end. Sometimes we can wait for ever (until we
    give up) for a site to respond. I've been trying to get Vodafone's
    attention on this, but it is difficult since the connection to Vodafone
    servers (or to other NZ sites) is as fast as it should be.

    I did get to speak to a technical guy who knows what he's doing, and he
    got me to run pathping tests on a number of sites and send him the
    results. There was a clear problem of packet loss with many of the
    tests, but the standard line from Vodafone is what you'd expect - they
    can't do anything about it because it's offshore.

    I've been using http://speedtest.net to measure the speed of US
    connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    For example, I just ran a test and got:
    Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    Ping: 314 ms

    These are particularly bad numbers. Generally I see download speeds in
    the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.

    I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    same test and server. If you do feel like making the test, please
    report your ISP and the time of day. Would it be paranoid to suspect
    that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow? Thanks.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 23, 2009

  2. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > I've been using http://speedtest.net to measure the speed of US
    > connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    > For example, I just ran a test and got:
    > Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    > Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    > Ping: 314 ms

    Down: 2.44Mb/s
    Up: 0.74Mb/s
    Ping: 243ms

    from an Xtra DSL connection.

    > These are particularly bad numbers. Generally I see download speeds in
    > the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.
    >
    > I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    > same test and server. If you do feel like making the test, please
    > report your ISP and the time of day. Would it be paranoid to suspect
    > that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow? Thanks.

    I seriously doubt that Telecom are doing that. Much of my reason for
    leaving ihug (just pre VF taking over) was the ongoing packet loss on
    their upstream links - despite acknowledging the problems they were
    unable (or disinclined) to provide a solution.

    EMB, Oct 23, 2009

  3. Gib Bogle

    Ted Guest

    On Oct 23, 7:39 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    > > I've been usinghttp://speedtest.netto measure the speed of US
    > > connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    > > For example, I just ran a test and got:
    > > Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    > > Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    > > Ping: 314 ms

    > Down: 2.44Mb/s
    > Up: 0.74Mb/s
    > Ping: 243ms
    >
    > from an Xtra DSL connection.

    Down: 1.22 Mb/s
    Up: 0.48 Mb/s
    Ping: 309ms
    Xtra

    Ted, Oct 23, 2009
  4. Gib Bogle

    Squiggle Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > I've been using http://speedtest.net to measure the speed of US
    > connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    > For example, I just ran a test and got:
    > Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    > Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    > Ping: 314 ms
    >
    > These are particularly bad numbers. Generally I see download speeds in
    > the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.
    >
    > I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    > same test and server. If you do feel like making the test, please
    > report your ISP and the time of day. Would it be paranoid to suspect
    > that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow? Thanks

    0.78down , 0.13 up (=128kbit cap). 272ms Ping Xnet. Midnight Friday.

    which isn't too bad considering to the server that Xnet hosts I only get
    1.14Mbit down, and a ping of 125ms.

    Squiggle, Oct 23, 2009
  5. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Squiggle wrote:

    > 0.78down , 0.13 up (=128kbit cap). 272ms Ping Xnet. Midnight Friday.
    >
    > which isn't too bad considering to the server that Xnet hosts I only get
    > 1.14Mbit down, and a ping of 125ms.

    The Speedtest ping times to Xnet's server are bullshit. If you ping
    that same server directly you'll see ~40ms pings from ADSL with
    interleaving on.

    EMB, Oct 23, 2009
  6. Gib Bogle

    victor Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >

    >> I've been using http://speedtest.net to measure the speed of US
    >> connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    >> For example, I just ran a test and got:
    >> Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    >> Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    >> Ping: 314 ms

    > Down: 2.44Mb/s
    > Up: 0.74Mb/s
    > Ping: 243ms
    >
    > from an Xtra DSL connection.
    >>
    >> These are particularly bad numbers. Generally I see download speeds
    >> in the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.
    >>
    >> I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    >> same test and server. If you do feel like making the test, please
    >> report your ISP and the time of day. Would it be paranoid to suspect
    >> that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow? Thanks.

    > I seriously doubt that Telecom are doing that. Much of my reason for
    > leaving ihug (just pre VF taking over) was the ongoing packet loss on
    > their upstream links - despite acknowledging the problems they were
    > unable (or disinclined) to provide a solution.

    Down: 3.82Mb/s
    Up: 1.35 Mb/s
    Ping: 239 ms
    TC Cable

    victor, Oct 23, 2009
  7. Gib Bogle

    John Little Guest

    On Oct 23, 6:44 pm, Gib Bogle <> wrote:

    > I've been usinghttp://speedtest.net...
    > I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    > same test and server...

    xtra, 1.30 pm
    ping 249 ms
    down 1.57 Mb/s
    up 0.57 Mb/s

    John Little, Oct 24, 2009
  8. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > First, I moved the wireless router, and now get fast pings with no
    > packet loss between the downstairs machine and the router.
    >
    > I have a different issue that is not related to the wireless link. I've
    > been noticing really bad performance when connecting to sites overseas.
    > It seems to be a packet-loss issue, and possible exceedance of timeouts
    > at the other end. Sometimes we can wait for ever (until we give up) for
    > a site to respond. I've been trying to get Vodafone's attention on
    > this, but it is difficult since the connection to Vodafone servers (or
    > to other NZ sites) is as fast as it should be.
    >
    > I did get to speak to a technical guy who knows what he's doing, and he
    > got me to run pathping tests on a number of sites and send him the
    > results. There was a clear problem of packet loss with many of the
    > tests, but the standard line from Vodafone is what you'd expect - they
    > can't do anything about it because it's offshore.
    >
    > I've been using http://speedtest.net to measure the speed of US
    > connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    > For example, I just ran a test and got:
    > Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    > Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    > Ping: 314 ms
    >
    > These are particularly bad numbers. Generally I see download speeds in
    > the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.
    >
    > I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    > same test and server. If you do feel like making the test, please
    > report your ISP and the time of day. Would it be paranoid to suspect
    > that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow? Thanks.

    Thanks a million! These results show that Vodafone/Ihug is shite!

    Gib Bogle, Oct 24, 2009
  9. On Oct 23, 6:44 pm, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > First, I moved the wireless router, and now get fast pings with no
    > packet loss between the downstairs machine and the router.
    >
    > I have a different issue that is not related to the wireless link.  I've
    > been noticing really bad performance when connecting to sites overseas.
    >   It seems to be a packet-loss issue, and possible exceedance of
    > timeouts at the other end.  Sometimes we can wait for ever (until we
    > give up) for a site to respond.  I've been trying to get Vodafone's
    > attention on this, but it is difficult since the connection to Vodafone
    > servers (or to other NZ sites) is as fast as it should be.
    >
    > I did get to speak to a technical guy who knows what he's doing, and he
    > got me to run pathping tests on a number of sites and send him the
    > results.  There was a clear problem of packet loss with many of the
    > tests, but the standard line from Vodafone is what you'd expect - they
    > can't do anything about it because it's offshore.
    >
    > I've been usinghttp://speedtest.netto measure the speed of US
    > connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    > For example, I just ran a test and got:
    > Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    > Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    > Ping: 314 ms
    >
    > These are particularly bad numbers.  Generally I see download speeds in
    > the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.
    >
    > I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    > same test and server.  If you do feel like making the test, please
    > report your ISP and the time of day.  Would it be paranoid to suspect
    > that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow?  Thanks.

    Download 3.29 Mb/s
    Upload 0.53 Mb/s
    Ping 252 m

    Time 06:30 PM approx

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    Peter Jenkins, Oct 24, 2009
  10. Gib Bogle

    Squiggle Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Squiggle wrote:
    >>
    >> 0.78down , 0.13 up (=128kbit cap). 272ms Ping Xnet. Midnight Friday.
    >>
    >> which isn't too bad considering to the server that Xnet hosts I only get
    >> 1.14Mbit down, and a ping of 125ms.

    > The Speedtest ping times to Xnet's server are bullshit. If you ping
    > that same server directly you'll see ~40ms pings from ADSL with
    > interleaving on.

    So could we assume there is 80ms worth of delay while the various
    caches and proxies decide what to do with the http connection then?

    Squiggle, Oct 24, 2009
  11. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Squiggle wrote:
    >>>
    >>> 0.78down , 0.13 up (=128kbit cap). 272ms Ping Xnet. Midnight Friday.
    >>>
    >>> which isn't too bad considering to the server that Xnet hosts I only get
    >>> 1.14Mbit down, and a ping of 125ms.

    >> The Speedtest ping times to Xnet's server are bullshit. If you ping
    >> that same server directly you'll see ~40ms pings from ADSL with
    >> interleaving on.

    > So could we assume there is 80ms worth of delay while the various
    > caches and proxies decide what to do with the http connection then?

    The issue only seems to be with Xnet's server. I have no idea why it
    happens, and it even happened when Xnet was my ISP.

    EMB, Oct 24, 2009
  12. Gib Bogle

    Max Burke Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > First, I moved the wireless router, and now get fast pings with no
    > packet loss between the downstairs machine and the router.
    >
    > I have a different issue that is not related to the wireless link. I've
    > been noticing really bad performance when connecting to sites overseas.
    > It seems to be a packet-loss issue, and possible exceedance of timeouts
    > at the other end. Sometimes we can wait for ever (until we give up) for
    > a site to respond. I've been trying to get Vodafone's attention on
    > this, but it is difficult since the connection to Vodafone servers (or
    > to other NZ sites) is as fast as it should be.
    >
    > I did get to speak to a technical guy who knows what he's doing, and he
    > got me to run pathping tests on a number of sites and send him the
    > results. There was a clear problem of packet loss with many of the
    > tests, but the standard line from Vodafone is what you'd expect - they
    > can't do anything about it because it's offshore.
    >
    > I've been using http://speedtest.net to measure the speed of US
    > connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    > For example, I just ran a test and got:
    > Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    > Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    > Ping: 314 ms
    >
    > These are particularly bad numbers. Generally I see download speeds in
    > the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.
    >
    > I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    > same test and server. If you do feel like making the test, please
    > report your ISP and the time of day. Would it be paranoid to suspect
    > that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow? Thanks.

    4.16Mb/s down
    1.47Mb/s up
    Ping 240ms

    Telstra clear cable 07:08pm

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Oct 24, 2009
  13. Gib Bogle

    Squiggle Guest

    EMB threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > Squiggle wrote:
    >> EMB wrote:

    >>> The Speedtest ping times to Xnet's server are bullshit. If you ping
    >>> that same server directly you'll see ~40ms pings from ADSL with
    >>> interleaving on.

    >> So could we assume there is 80ms worth of delay while the various
    >> caches and proxies decide what to do with the http connection then?

    > The issue only seems to be with Xnet's server. I have no idea why it
    > happens, and it even happened when Xnet was my ISP.

    So its likely between the server and the network core then i'd assume.
    Some sort of firewall between their servers and the outside world.

    Squiggle, Oct 24, 2009
  14. Gib Bogle

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> First, I moved the wireless router, and now get fast pings with no packet
    >> loss between the downstairs machine and the router.
    >>
    >> I have a different issue that is not related to the wireless link. I've
    >> been noticing really bad performance when connecting to sites overseas.
    >> It seems to be a packet-loss issue, and possible exceedance of timeouts
    >> at the other end. Sometimes we can wait for ever (until we give up) for
    >> a site to respond. I've been trying to get Vodafone's attention on this,
    >> but it is difficult since the connection to Vodafone servers (or to other
    >> NZ sites) is as fast as it should be.
    >>
    >> I did get to speak to a technical guy who knows what he's doing, and he
    >> got me to run pathping tests on a number of sites and send him the
    >> results. There was a clear problem of packet loss with many of the
    >> tests, but the standard line from Vodafone is what you'd expect - they
    >> can't do anything about it because it's offshore.
    >>
    >> I've been using http://speedtest.net to measure the speed of US
    >> connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com). For
    >> example, I just ran a test and got:
    >> Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    >> Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    >> Ping: 314 ms
    >>
    >> These are particularly bad numbers. Generally I see download speeds in
    >> the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.
    >>
    >> I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the same
    >> test and server. If you do feel like making the test, please report your
    >> ISP and the time of day. Would it be paranoid to suspect that Telecom
    >> might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow? Thanks.

    > Thanks a million! These results show that Vodafone/Ihug is shite!

    I get 2.81 down 0.4 up ping 279 on Vodaphone 1.20 a.m..

    Craig Sutton, Oct 24, 2009
  15. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hbrfu7$9q4$>,
    says...
    > First, I moved the wireless router, and now get fast pings with no
    > packet loss between the downstairs machine and the router.
    >
    > I have a different issue that is not related to the wireless link. I've
    > been noticing really bad performance when connecting to sites overseas.
    > It seems to be a packet-loss issue, and possible exceedance of
    > timeouts at the other end. Sometimes we can wait for ever (until we
    > give up) for a site to respond. I've been trying to get Vodafone's
    > attention on this, but it is difficult since the connection to Vodafone
    > servers (or to other NZ sites) is as fast as it should be.
    >
    > I did get to speak to a technical guy who knows what he's doing, and he
    > got me to run pathping tests on a number of sites and send him the
    > results. There was a clear problem of packet loss with many of the
    > tests, but the standard line from Vodafone is what you'd expect - they
    > can't do anything about it because it's offshore.
    >
    > I've been using http://speedtest.net to measure the speed of US
    > connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    > For example, I just ran a test and got:
    > Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    > Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    > Ping: 314 ms
    >
    > These are particularly bad numbers. Generally I see download speeds in
    > the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.
    >
    > I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    > same test and server. If you do feel like making the test, please
    > report your ISP and the time of day. Would it be paranoid to suspect
    > that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow? Thanks.

    Download: 9.75Mb/s
    Up: 1.56 Mb/s
    Ping: 35ms
    2:35PM GMT
    3:50?am 25/10/09 NZDT

    Telstraclear cable, Otautahi (ChCh), Distance < 50mi

    --
    Duncan.
    Is he willing to prevent evil, but not able?

    Dave Doe, Oct 24, 2009
  16. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hbrfu7$9q4$>,
    says...
    > First, I moved the wireless router, and now get fast pings with no
    > packet loss between the downstairs machine and the router.
    >
    > I have a different issue that is not related to the wireless link. I've
    > been noticing really bad performance when connecting to sites overseas.
    > It seems to be a packet-loss issue, and possible exceedance of
    > timeouts at the other end. Sometimes we can wait for ever (until we
    > give up) for a site to respond. I've been trying to get Vodafone's
    > attention on this, but it is difficult since the connection to Vodafone
    > servers (or to other NZ sites) is as fast as it should be.
    >
    > I did get to speak to a technical guy who knows what he's doing, and he
    > got me to run pathping tests on a number of sites and send him the
    > results. There was a clear problem of packet loss with many of the
    > tests, but the standard line from Vodafone is what you'd expect - they
    > can't do anything about it because it's offshore.
    >
    > I've been using http://speedtest.net to measure the speed of US
    > connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    > For example, I just ran a test and got:
    > Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    > Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    > Ping: 314 ms
    >
    > These are particularly bad numbers. Generally I see download speeds in
    > the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.
    >
    > I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    > same test and server. If you do feel like making the test, please
    > report your ISP and the time of day. Would it be paranoid to suspect
    > that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow? Thanks.

    Boston server... :)

    Download: 3.70 Mb/s
    Upload: 0.58 Mb/s
    Telstraclear cable (Otuatahi)
    Server: Boston, MA, Distance ~9300 mi

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 25, 2009
  17. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    says...
    > In article <hbrfu7$9q4$>,
    > says...
    > > First, I moved the wireless router, and now get fast pings with no
    > > packet loss between the downstairs machine and the router.
    > >
    > > I have a different issue that is not related to the wireless link. I've
    > > been noticing really bad performance when connecting to sites overseas.
    > > It seems to be a packet-loss issue, and possible exceedance of
    > > timeouts at the other end. Sometimes we can wait for ever (until we
    > > give up) for a site to respond. I've been trying to get Vodafone's
    > > attention on this, but it is difficult since the connection to Vodafone
    > > servers (or to other NZ sites) is as fast as it should be.
    > >
    > > I did get to speak to a technical guy who knows what he's doing, and he
    > > got me to run pathping tests on a number of sites and send him the
    > > results. There was a clear problem of packet loss with many of the
    > > tests, but the standard line from Vodafone is what you'd expect - they
    > > can't do anything about it because it's offshore.
    > >
    > > I've been using http://speedtest.net to measure the speed of US
    > > connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    > > For example, I just ran a test and got:
    > > Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    > > Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    > > Ping: 314 ms
    > >
    > > These are particularly bad numbers. Generally I see download speeds in
    > > the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.
    > >
    > > I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    > > same test and server. If you do feel like making the test, please
    > > report your ISP and the time of day. Would it be paranoid to suspect
    > > that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow? Thanks.
    > >

    > Boston server... :)
    >
    > Download: 3.70 Mb/s
    > Upload: 0.58 Mb/s
    > Telstraclear cable (Otuatahi)
    > Server: Boston, MA, Distance ~9300 mi

    Ping: 235ms

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 25, 2009
  18. On Oct 27, 9:11 am, Allistar <> wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    > > First, I moved the wireless router, and now get fast pings with no
    > > packet loss between the downstairs machine and the router.

    > > I have a different issue that is not related to the wireless link.  I've
    > > been noticing really bad performance when connecting to sites overseas.
    > >   It seems to be a packet-loss issue, and possible exceedance of
    > > timeouts at the other end.  Sometimes we can wait for ever (until we
    > > give up) for a site to respond.  I've been trying to get Vodafone's
    > > attention on this, but it is difficult since the connection to Vodafone
    > > servers (or to other NZ sites) is as fast as it should be.

    > > I did get to speak to a technical guy who knows what he's doing, and he
    > > got me to run pathping tests on a number of sites and send him the
    > > results.  There was a clear problem of packet loss with many of the
    > > tests, but the standard line from Vodafone is what you'd expect - they
    > > can't do anything about it because it's offshore.

    > > I've been usinghttp://speedtest.netto measure the speed of US
    > > connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    > > For example, I just ran a test and got:
    > > Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    > > Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    > > Ping: 314 ms

    > > These are particularly bad numbers.  Generally I see download speeds in
    > > the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.

    > > I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    > > same test and server.  If you do feel like making the test, please
    > > report your ISP and the time of day.  Would it be paranoid to suspect
    > > that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow?  Thanks.

    > From TelstraClear using Boston server:
    >
    > Download: 5.82Mb/s
    > Upload: 0.68Mb/s
    > Ping: 245ms
    > Time: 9am NZ time.
    > --
    > A.

    I'm having big latency issues with Vodafone/Ihug at the moment. Lots
    of people complaining on the forum. Seems like 8pm hits and latency
    goes through the roof. Like, 400ms to google.co.nz :-/.

    Hamish Campbell, Oct 28, 2009
  19. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    >> Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> First, I moved the wireless router, and now get fast pings with no
    >>> packet loss between the downstairs machine and the router.
    >>>
    >>> I have a different issue that is not related to the wireless link.
    >>> I've been noticing really bad performance when connecting to sites
    >>> overseas. It seems to be a packet-loss issue, and possible exceedance
    >>> of timeouts at the other end. Sometimes we can wait for ever (until
    >>> we give up) for a site to respond. I've been trying to get
    >>> Vodafone's attention on this, but it is difficult since the
    >>> connection to Vodafone servers (or to other NZ sites) is as fast as
    >>> it should be.
    >>>
    >>> I did get to speak to a technical guy who knows what he's doing, and
    >>> he got me to run pathping tests on a number of sites and send him the
    >>> results. There was a clear problem of packet loss with many of the
    >>> tests, but the standard line from Vodafone is what you'd expect -
    >>> they can't do anything about it because it's offshore.
    >>>
    >>> I've been using http://speedtest.net to measure the speed of US
    >>> connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    >>> For example, I just ran a test and got:
    >>> Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    >>> Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    >>> Ping: 314 ms
    >>>
    >>> These are particularly bad numbers. Generally I see download speeds
    >>> in the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.
    >>>
    >>> I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    >>> same test and server. If you do feel like making the test, please
    >>> report your ISP and the time of day. Would it be paranoid to suspect
    >>> that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow? Thanks.

    >> Thanks a million! These results show that Vodafone/Ihug is shite!

    > I get 2.81 down 0.4 up ping 279 on Vodaphone 1.20 a.m..

    I've never seen anything like that download speed. I wonder what makes
    it work better for you. As far as I can determine I get good speed of
    connection to the Vodafone servers. I live in Te Atatu.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 29, 2009
  20. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > First, I moved the wireless router, and now get fast pings with no
    > packet loss between the downstairs machine and the router.
    >
    > I have a different issue that is not related to the wireless link. I've
    > been noticing really bad performance when connecting to sites overseas.
    > It seems to be a packet-loss issue, and possible exceedance of timeouts
    > at the other end. Sometimes we can wait for ever (until we give up) for
    > a site to respond. I've been trying to get Vodafone's attention on
    > this, but it is difficult since the connection to Vodafone servers (or
    > to other NZ sites) is as fast as it should be.
    >
    > I did get to speak to a technical guy who knows what he's doing, and he
    > got me to run pathping tests on a number of sites and send him the
    > results. There was a clear problem of packet loss with many of the
    > tests, but the standard line from Vodafone is what you'd expect - they
    > can't do anything about it because it's offshore.
    >
    > I've been using http://speedtest.net to measure the speed of US
    > connections, choosing their site in Boston, MA (www.towerstream.com).
    > For example, I just ran a test and got:
    > Download: 0.24 Mb/s
    > Upload: 0.08 Mb/s
    > Ping: 314 ms
    >
    > These are particularly bad numbers. Generally I see download speeds in
    > the range 0.4 to 0.9 Mb/s, which is pretty crappy anyway.
    >
    > I'd be interested to see what test results other people get with the
    > same test and server. If you do feel like making the test, please
    > report your ISP and the time of day. Would it be paranoid to suspect
    > that Telecom might be throttling Vodafone's feed somehow? Thanks.

    I am definitely going to change ISP (after 13 years with Ihug). I'm
    open to suggestions - good connections to overseas sites, esp. US, is
    the primary consideration.

    BTW, what is good software to test latency?

    Gib Bogle, Oct 29, 2009