DSL Re-Connecting Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Really not sharp or competent with this stuff anymore (70 yrs old now ), and
    would be most
    grateful for any advice.

    Running XP, and a friend (no longer in area) set me up with a LinkSys
    wireless router
    so I could use my portable anywhere in the house. Frankly, I know even less
    about routers than I know about PC's in general.

    Have Verizon DSL which has always worked pretty well.
    A few days ago, they had a problem with their street wires, and we had no
    phone, or DSL.
    They fixed it, and we now have phone again, but the DSL won't connect.

    They say it's a "PC problem, of some sort"
    It probably is, I imagine.

    Is it all likely that the LinkSys router has lost sync. in some way ?
    Should I unplug it, and plug it in again to re-set it (I don't want to make
    things worse) ?

    Or, do I just have to tell my PC, somehow, to re-connect with Verizon ?

    If someone could please outline the "exact" steps, and what I should
    actually click on, I should go thru to do this, would be most appreciative.

    Thanks for your time,
    B.

    Robert11, Apr 10, 2006

  2. Robert11 skrev:
    > Hello:
    >
    > Really not sharp or competent with this stuff anymore (70 yrs old now ), and
    > would be most
    > grateful for any advice.
    >
    > Running XP, and a friend (no longer in area) set me up with a LinkSys
    > wireless router
    > so I could use my portable anywhere in the house. Frankly, I know even less
    > about routers than I know about PC's in general.
    >
    > Have Verizon DSL which has always worked pretty well.
    > A few days ago, they had a problem with their street wires, and we had no
    > phone, or DSL.
    > They fixed it, and we now have phone again, but the DSL won't connect.
    >
    > They say it's a "PC problem, of some sort"
    > It probably is, I imagine.
    >
    > Is it all likely that the LinkSys router has lost sync. in some way ?
    > Should I unplug it, and plug it in again to re-set it (I don't want to make
    > things worse) ?
    >
    > Or, do I just have to tell my PC, somehow, to re-connect with Verizon ?
    >
    > If someone could please outline the "exact" steps, and what I should
    > actually click on, I should go thru to do this, would be most appreciative.
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    > B.

    Unplugging and connecting it again will probably work

    Roger Jansson, Apr 10, 2006

  3. Robert11

    windweaver Guest

    Hello Robert 11,

    I don't have DSL, I have cable but the princple is the same. I will
    assume (which is normally a bad act) that you have not changed on
    netork settings on your portable (laptop?). You should have a phone
    extension cord from the wall plugged into your DSL modem. The modem
    plugged into your Linksys wireless router and both plugged into a power
    socket. If this is your set up, what you need to do is unplug the power
    cords (only) from both the modem and the router. The wait about 3
    minutes. Plug the modem (only) power cord back in to the wall outlet.
    Wait about another 3 minutes. You should see the lights on the modem
    start to flash and then stay on steady (usaully takes about a minute or
    two). There maybe one light that stays flashing (normal on most
    modems). Now plug the router power cord back in the wall outlet. Usual
    flashing/steady lights again for about a minute on router. Now try to
    connect to the internet. 99% of the time this procedure works. Wireless
    I have have found is sometimes hit and miss......its technology has a
    ways to go......I should know.....I'm an IT pro (no pun intended...well
    maybe a little)......good luck

    windweaver, Apr 10, 2006