    Linksys do not reply to my emails or answer the phone.

    Cheers

    John
    jdm, Aug 18, 2007

  2. "jdm" <not@home> wrote in message news:46c65ed5$...
    > With naked DSL around the corner I am looking to use the WAG54GP2 for my
    > Xnet VFX. Finally I will be able to get caller ID

    You've already asked this before.. I see no point in posting again ...

    Yes you can increase the power, but check the legal requirements on what you
    can increase it to (all the information is on the web). And you cannot do it
    via the standard software from linksys so really don't have to answer about
    software they don't write.

    The number of Phone lines...well 1st of all. do you trust a VOIP connection
    for the alarm? well I don't know this answer.. just try.. just 6 phones is
    ALOT of phones in 1 house. what do the RAL of the phones ad up to?

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Aug 18, 2007

  3. jdm

    jdm Guest

    Hi Craig,

    Yes I have posted this before however I had not had any replies.

    MED website is down at the moment, another website said 4watts was the
    maximum power, I want about 100mw to get optimal coverage at my place.

    6 phones is not a lot, one in each bed room, one in the kitchen, one in the
    study, one in the garage and a cordless in the lounge.
    The RAL of the phones upstairs = 4.5, assuming the phone downstairs has a
    RAL of 1 gives me a total of 5.5 which is a tad over the telecom limit.

    Do I trust VoIP, to be honest not 100% but then you cant trust telecom 100%,
    if there are too many outages I could install a cellular interface on the
    alarm for backup.
    I just want basic services like caller ID that are not available on my
    exchange. It also would be nice to ditch Telecom permanently as they have
    been ripping us off for years.
    If they had given customers what they wanted a long time ago they would not
    be in this situation now,

    John

    jdm, Aug 18, 2007
  4. jdm

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:07:39 +1200, jdm wrote:

    > Hi Craig,
    >
    > Yes I have posted this before however I had not had any replies.
    >
    > MED website is down at the moment, another website said 4watts was the
    > maximum power, I want about 100mw to get optimal coverage at my place.

    No you don't. The legal requirements take into account the gain of your
    aerial, and you should too. If you want better coverage, fit a better
    aerial.

    > 6 phones is not a lot, one in each bed room, one in the kitchen, one in
    > the study, one in the garage and a cordless in the lounge. The RAL of
    > the phones upstairs = 4.5, assuming the phone downstairs has a RAL of 1
    > gives me a total of 5.5 which is a tad over the telecom limit.

    There's your answer then. You'd be better off with a cordless each and
    carry them around.

    > Do I trust VoIP, to be honest not 100% but then you cant trust telecom
    > 100%, if there are too many outages I could install a cellular interface
    > on the alarm for backup.
    > I just want basic services like caller ID that are not available on my
    > exchange. It also would be nice to ditch Telecom permanently as they
    > have been ripping us off for years.

    It is a laugh getting caller id from the UK via voip, but not from next
    door :) I've just goto no other option here in the wop wops.

    Steve, Aug 18, 2007
  5. jdm

    jdm Guest

    Hi Steve,

    The router is downstairs in the garage, if you use a higher gain antenna you
    lower the radiation angle so I am better using at bit more power and a lower
    gain antenna.

    > No you don't. The legal requirements take into account the gain of your
    > aerial, and you should too. If you want better coverage, fit a better
    > aerial.

    Cordless phones have a nasy habit of going flat but yes that is probably a
    very good soloution.

    > There's your answer then. You'd be better off with a cordless each and
    > carry them around.

    Cheers

    John
    jdm, Aug 18, 2007