    the internet. Will this need to be configured differently? Will the DSL
    guy take care of this for me, or do I need to know how to? Sorry for so
    many questions! ;)

    Chris B, Sep 24, 2006

  2. Chris B

    anyone Guest

    Chris B wrote:
    > FINALLY DSL is available to me out in hicksville. :) They are coming to
    > set me up this coming Wednesday.

    - snip -

    howsuffworks.com http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm has lots
    of xDSL info.

    --
    Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
    http://www.rfruth.net

    1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
    1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
    2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

    anyone, Sep 24, 2006

  3. Chris B

    Chet39 Guest

    First the installation guy will make sure that our inside wiring is of the
    correct type to support the higher frequencies involved. Then he will
    connect a DSL modem to a phone jack which will connect to your computer
    either via USB or standard serial port.

    The browser setup will change because you will no longer need to dial, it is
    always connected.

    DSL setups often come with a setup disk that will take care of all the setup
    for you automatically, otherwise they should give you set up instructions so
    you can do it yourself if you even need to after the installation guy
    leaves.

    You may need to install filters on one or more of your voice phones to keep
    the DSL operation from causing noise. Depends on the phone.

    Chet39, Sep 24, 2006
  4. Chris B

    Travis Guest

    When I got TELUS in my new house, I ordered their enhanced package. They
    didn't have to come to my house, they just did it there. Then I waited 2
    weeks for a package to come in the mail with a ethernet cable, modem,
    software/drivers, and phone filters.

    I'm pretty sure they will either send you a package through mail or the guy
    will give it to you. It will include insturctions so just read those and you
    should be fine.

    After you set up the software included (if any) then just open IE and it
    should be all set up. If not, delete your dial-up connections in Network
    Connections or something else in 9.x if you use that.

    Travis, Sep 24, 2006
  5. Chris B

    Chris B Guest

    Thank you for the replies. I hope this change is worth the $46 a month I'll
    be paying (dial-up cost me $19.99).

    Mind you, this is for 256K DSL, which is supposed to be 4+ times faster. The
    other maximum speed one they offer (25 times faster) is not available to
    me yet.

    Chris B, Sep 24, 2006
  6. Chris B

    Chris B Guest

    One more DSL related question. What I have read is that you need to be
    within 18,000 feet from the phone companies switch station, that's fine
    because I'm within 6,000 feet of one. My question is about VDSL, which you
    are supposed to have to be even closer to the phone co. station. My phone
    co. rep said I have to ask the service person when they come out on Wed. if
    it is possible for me. Do you know how close in feet that you have to be in
    order to have VDSL?

    Chris B, Sep 25, 2006