    Is the USB that much slower than the NIC or do I have something configured
    wrong? Should I connect the modem to the NIC instead?

    Thank you very much.
    somexyzguy, Apr 14, 2004

  2. somexyzguy

    Ed Rust Guest

    It shouldn't make any difference, as both the NIC and USB connections
    are likely faster than the modem.

    HTH,

    Ed

    Ed Rust, Apr 14, 2004

  3. somexyzguy

    hamman Guest

    "somexyzguy" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My DSL modem is connected to my USB port. In Windows XP I happened to

    look
    > at the Network tab of the Windows Task Manager and saw that the "Link
    > Speed" of the port the modem was on was 12MB but the network card that I
    > have installed shows a speed of 100MB.
    >
    > Is the USB that much slower than the NIC or do I have something configured
    > wrong? Should I connect the modem to the NIC instead?
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    It wont make any difference to the speed of the internet, but it is usally
    better to connect over the NIC instead of USB, it usally takes a few
    milliseconds off ping times.

    hamman
    hamman, Apr 14, 2004
  4. somexyzguy

    somexyzguy Guest

    OK, cool. Thanks.

    Ed Rust <> wrote in

    somexyzguy, Apr 14, 2004
  5. somexyzguy

    somexyzguy Guest

    "hamman" <> wrote in

    > "somexyzguy" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> My DSL modem is connected to my USB port. In Windows XP I happened

    > look
    >> at the Network tab of the Windows Task Manager and saw that the "Link
    >> Speed" of the port the modem was on was 12MB but the network card
    >> that I have installed shows a speed of 100MB.
    >>
    >> Is the USB that much slower than the NIC or do I have something
    >> configured wrong? Should I connect the modem to the NIC instead?
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.

    > It wont make any difference to the speed of the internet, but it is
    > usally better to connect over the NIC instead of USB, it usally takes
    > a few milliseconds off ping times.
    >
    > hamman

    Sound good. Thanks.
    somexyzguy, Apr 14, 2004