    --
    Thanks
    Vic

    Vic, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Vic

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:26:02 GMT, "Vic"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a bit of a situation that has a few people around here baffled. The
    >setup is a Sprint DSL connection to a D-Link DI-604 router then to two
    >computers. One of them a Dell system running Windows ME (which is operating
    >normally) and a system I built (which is having problems). System specs
    >include an Intel D865GBFL Motherboard, Celeron 2.4GHz CPU, 256MB Ram, 80GB
    >Hard Drive running Windows XP Home. The only problem the system is having is
    >connecting to most websites. Most of the time they eventually time out.
    >Places like MSN or Yahoo. Google will load most of the time. The system runs
    >great for everything else, like playing a game or word. I thought that maybe
    >there was something wrong with TCP/IP so I tried all of the Microsoft
    >troubleshooting I could and still no help. So, I formatted and reinstalled
    >Windows XP. Still did the same thing. I took the system to another location
    >that was on a wireless connection through a Linksys Router and it ran great.
    >No connection problems. I took it back home and still does the same thing. I
    >need some ideas.

    Likely a DNS error. When you cannot get to a website, go to DOS
    (Start, Run, cmd <Enter> and type
    ping -a www.google.com <Enter>. This will test both connectivity and
    DNS resolution.

    Evan Platt, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Vic

    Vic Guest

    I tried the ping like you suggested and it completes while only losing 1 of
    4 packets (Timed out) the TTL on the three that completed was around 115 ms.
    What do you think?

    Vic

    Vic, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Vic

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Vic wrote:

    > I have a bit of a situation that has a few people around here baffled. The
    > setup is a Sprint DSL connection to a D-Link DI-604 router then to two
    > computers. One of them a Dell system running Windows ME (which is
    > operating normally) and a system I built (which is having problems).
    > System specs include an Intel D865GBFL Motherboard, Celeron 2.4GHz CPU,
    > 256MB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive running Windows XP Home. The only problem the
    > system is having is connecting to most websites. Most of the time they
    > eventually time out. Places like MSN or Yahoo. Google will load most of
    > the time. The system runs great for everything else, like playing a game
    > or word. I thought that maybe there was something wrong with TCP/IP so I
    > tried all of the Microsoft troubleshooting I could and still no help. So,
    > I formatted and reinstalled Windows XP. Still did the same thing. I took
    > the system to another location that was on a wireless connection through a
    > Linksys Router and it ran great. No connection problems. I took it back
    > home and still does the same thing. I need some ideas.

    The problem is with the router's firmware most of the time where machines
    behind the router will connect to some sites but not to other sites. The
    solution has been to re-flash the router with the current version of the
    firmware or a later version of the firmware.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Vic

    Sly Guest

    go to d-links website and download the latest firmware and check the faq's
    out, ive had similar problems and d-links website was very helpful

    Sly, Jul 11, 2005