DSL Drama

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I dumped Orcon as a providor mainly because of the way their helpdesk
    treated me and my concerns that >50 PPP drop-outs a month was excessive.
    They claimed it was acceptable, my fault, and refused to let me speak to
    someone who knew what PPP meant yet alone escalate the problem to Telecom.

    So, after two weeks with Actrix I'm still getting PPP drop-outs (although
    not as frequent as with Orcon) and I decide that today's the day I talk to
    their helpdesk about it. The phone is answered promptly by someone who's
    first language is English (A trend I've noticed with Actrix). I relate my
    story to... let's call him Bob. He is amazed that Orcon consider that many
    drop-outs as acceptable and says it's certainly not as far as Actrix is
    concerned and we start going through the "isolation" trouble-shooting talk.
    I tell him that I've done that, for a few weeks in fact, at Orcon's
    insistance. Yes, I've tried a different Router/modem. Yada yada yada.

    Ok, he says time to ring Telecom, he'll call me back. 15 minutes or so later
    he calls back. Says the guy he spoke to at Telecom was "a reasonable one for
    a change" who thinks that the problem probably isn't at my end. He says
    swapping me to another port would be the next step but wanted to know why I
    hadn't done any hard re-sets of my router. (Obviously it shows up that my
    DSL hasn't been disconnected in a while, only the PPP is dropping out). I
    say it's because I have a quality router and I don't need to go turning it
    off and on for a dropped PPP, I only need to re-set it if the DSL drops.

    So Bob says cool, he'll tell the Telecom guy and he'll swap me to another
    port. Bob says "Cross your fingers that I get the same guy".

    Bob calls back 25 minutes later. He tells me he didn't get the same guy,
    couldn't get them to transfer him and he ended up with another guy. This guy
    maintains that the problem is at my end and won't entertain the idea of
    swapping ports until a Telecom serviceman has been into my house and swapped
    out my router with one of theirs and tested the line. (How do they expect to
    find an intermittant fault like that?).

    I had to agree that, if a fault is found with my router or wiring, I will
    have to pay $80. (What does the Wiring Maintainance Contract of $2.24 a
    month that I pay cover?) I ask for a time-frame on the Telecom guy coming
    out (Bob has the Telecom rep on another line) and am told that they can't
    give me one, they're busy at the moment.

    So now I wait for a visit from Bastards Inc.

    So far, I'm very impressed with Actrix's helpdesk. I less than an hour they
    did what I thought needed doing, i.e. contacting Telecom. I spent over three
    weeks with Orcon, calling their helldesk, being in phone queues, trying to
    decode heavilly accented English and generally being pushed from pillar to
    post, trying to get them to do the same thing, until I terminated my
    contract with them.

    To be continued....
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2006

  2. ~misfit~

    Graymond Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > swapped out my router with one of theirs and tested the line. (How do they
    > expect to find an intermittant fault like that?).
    >
    > I had to agree that, if a fault is found with my router or wiring, I will
    > have to pay $80. (What does the Wiring Maintainance Contract of $2.24 a
    > month that I pay cover?) I ask for a time-frame on the Telecom guy coming
    > out (Bob has the Telecom rep on another line) and am told that they can't
    > give me one, they're busy at the moment.
    >
    > So now I wait for a visit from Bastards Inc.
    >
    > So far, I'm very impressed with Actrix's helpdesk. I less than an hour
    > they did what I thought needed doing, i.e. contacting Telecom. I spent
    > over three weeks with Orcon, calling their helldesk, being in phone
    > queues, trying to decode heavilly accented English and generally being
    > pushed from pillar to post, trying to get them to do the same thing, until

    Aren't Orcon and Telecom bedmates ?

    Graymond, Mar 1, 2006

  3. ~misfit~

    Adam Guest

    On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:54:49 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >Bob calls back 25 minutes later. He tells me he didn't get the same guy,
    >couldn't get them to transfer him and he ended up with another guy. This guy
    >maintains that the problem is at my end and won't entertain the idea of
    >swapping ports until a Telecom serviceman has been into my house and swapped
    >out my router with one of theirs and tested the line. (How do they expect to
    >find an intermittant fault like that?).
    >
    >I had to agree that, if a fault is found with my router or wiring, I will
    >have to pay $80. (What does the Wiring Maintainance Contract of $2.24 a
    >month that I pay cover?) I ask for a time-frame on the Telecom guy coming
    >out (Bob has the Telecom rep on another line) and am told that they can't
    >give me one, they're busy at the moment.
    >
    >So now I wait for a visit from Bastards Inc.

    My personal experiences of the Telecom techies (when they do come) has
    actually been very good. You have nothing to fear! I had them round
    about 6 times and at no time was money mentioned <g>. I think the $80
    thing is just a threat.

    They found that my (new) D-Link router was crap at bringing up the
    line again after a problem. The bog-standard M1122 they hooked up
    worked like a charm - every time. Guess what I'm running now ;-)

    Anyway - they weren't happy with the line, but couldn't isolate the
    problem. At one time, they even ran a brand new (temporary) cable in
    parallel - straight from the box in the street to my router. Honestly,
    they couldn't have been more helpful.

    In the end - and for no apparent reason - the problems just seemed to
    go away. Telecom can certainly be criticised for their national
    policies, but their individual, grass-roots, technicians are
    tremendous, IMHO.

    Adam.

    Adam, Mar 1, 2006
  4. ~misfit~

    Mark Guest

    If you could get hold of another router from a friend who has ADSL and has
    theirs working fine, chuck it on your connection and see how you go.

    I did this when I had problems and at least it shows it's not your hardware
    modem/ router causing the fault giving you leverage when dealing with
    Telecon (They can't give you the old "It must be your Modem/ Router etc"
    call)

    Good luck
    Mark

    Mark, Mar 1, 2006
  5. ~misfit~

    Crash Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:54:49 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >>Bob calls back 25 minutes later. He tells me he didn't get the same guy,
    >>couldn't get them to transfer him and he ended up with another guy. This guy
    >>maintains that the problem is at my end and won't entertain the idea of
    >>swapping ports until a Telecom serviceman has been into my house and swapped
    >>out my router with one of theirs and tested the line. (How do they expect to
    >>find an intermittant fault like that?).
    >>
    >>I had to agree that, if a fault is found with my router or wiring, I will
    >>have to pay $80. (What does the Wiring Maintainance Contract of $2.24 a
    >>month that I pay cover?) I ask for a time-frame on the Telecom guy coming
    >>out (Bob has the Telecom rep on another line) and am told that they can't
    >>give me one, they're busy at the moment.
    >>
    >>So now I wait for a visit from Bastards Inc.

    > My personal experiences of the Telecom techies (when they do come) has
    > actually been very good. You have nothing to fear! I had them round
    > about 6 times and at no time was money mentioned <g>. I think the $80
    > thing is just a threat.
    >
    > They found that my (new) D-Link router was crap at bringing up the
    > line again after a problem. The bog-standard M1122 they hooked up
    > worked like a charm - every time. Guess what I'm running now ;-)
    >
    > Anyway - they weren't happy with the line, but couldn't isolate the
    > problem. At one time, they even ran a brand new (temporary) cable in
    > parallel - straight from the box in the street to my router. Honestly,
    > they couldn't have been more helpful.
    >
    > In the end - and for no apparent reason - the problems just seemed to
    > go away. Telecom can certainly be criticised for their national
    > policies, but their individual, grass-roots, technicians are
    > tremendous, IMHO.

    I have had a similar experience to Adam - but I am with Xtra. At my place I had
    them back about 5 times and the last time they replaced wiring replaced on an
    earlier visit by another technician and the connection stability improved
    dramatically. However over the whole episode the following was done:

    a) Xtra-supplied single-PC replaced with equivalent 4-port router/modem.
    b) Parts of house wiring replaced.
    c) Pairs from street to exchange swapped. I was therefore swapped to new copper.
    d) Port swapped at exchange.

    Don't worry about the threat of costs. The techies who come visiting, I found,
    are not interested in finding a reason to charge you. I was charged for one
    visit but this was credited when I queried it. Other than that there were no
    costs involved.

    Go for it and don't let up until the problem is resolved.

    Crash.

    Crash, Mar 1, 2006
  6. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    Crash wrote:

    > Don't worry about the threat of costs. The techies who come visiting, I
    > found, are not interested in finding a reason to charge you. I was
    > charged for one visit but this was credited when I queried it. Other
    > than that there were no costs involved.
    >
    > Go for it and don't let up until the problem is resolved.

    And these faults will be so much easier to get fixed when unbundling occurs
    right??? Doubt it...

    Richard, Mar 1, 2006
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Graymond wrote:
> [...]
    >> like that?). I had to agree that, if a fault is found with my router or
    >> wiring, I
    >> will have to pay $80. (What does the Wiring Maintainance Contract of
    >> $2.24 a month that I pay cover?) I ask for a time-frame on the
    >> Telecom guy coming out (Bob has the Telecom rep on another line) and
    >> am told that they can't give me one, they're busy at the moment.
    >>
    >> So now I wait for a visit from Bastards Inc.
    >>
    >> So far, I'm very impressed with Actrix's helpdesk. I less than an
    >> hour they did what I thought needed doing, i.e. contacting Telecom.
    >> I spent over three weeks with Orcon, calling their helldesk, being
    >> in phone queues, trying to decode heavilly accented English and
    >> generally being pushed from pillar to post, trying to get them to do
    >> the same thing, until I terminated my contract with them.

    Yes, very much so. One of the few guys I spoke to on Orcon's helpdesk who
    sounded like a NZer and seemed to know stuff said as much. He said that
    Orcon enjoy a "special" relationship with Telecom, that it wasn't publicised
    or well-known.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2006
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > If you could get hold of another router from a friend who has ADSL
    > and has theirs working fine, chuck it on your connection and see how
    > you go.
    > I did this when I had problems and at least it shows it's not your
    > hardware modem/ router causing the fault giving you leverage when
    > dealing with Telecon (They can't give you the old "It must be your
    > Modem/ Router etc" call)

    I have a USB ADSL modem that I ran for a week that showed exactly the same
    behavior as the router. However, they tell me that doesn't prove much as
    they are both the same brand???? (Alcatel)

    I pointed out to the guy that the $300+ router I have is quite a bit better
    than the sub-$100 ones they give away. Also, Telecom must like Alcatel as
    they're replacing all their DSLAMS with Alcatel ASAMS and using Alcatel gear
    for the ADSL2 / everything-over-IP project.

    > Good luck
    > Mark

    Thanks,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2006
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > Adam wrote:
    >> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:54:49 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>

    >>> Bob calls back 25 minutes later. He tells me he didn't get the same
    >>> guy, couldn't get them to transfer him and he ended up with another
    >>> guy. This guy maintains that the problem is at my end and won't
    >>> entertain the idea of swapping ports until a Telecom serviceman has
    >>> been into my house and swapped out my router with one of theirs and
    >>> tested the line. (How do they expect to find an intermittant fault
    >>> like that?). I had to agree that, if a fault is found with my router or
    >>> wiring,
    >>> I will have to pay $80. (What does the Wiring Maintainance Contract
    >>> of $2.24 a month that I pay cover?) I ask for a time-frame on the
    >>> Telecom guy coming out (Bob has the Telecom rep on another line)
    >>> and am told that they can't give me one, they're busy at the moment.
    >>>
    >>> So now I wait for a visit from Bastards Inc.

    >> My personal experiences of the Telecom techies (when they do come)
    >> has actually been very good. You have nothing to fear! I had them
    >> round about 6 times and at no time was money mentioned <g>. I think
    >> the $80 thing is just a threat.
    >>
    >> They found that my (new) D-Link router was crap at bringing up the
    >> line again after a problem. The bog-standard M1122 they hooked up
    >> worked like a charm - every time. Guess what I'm running now ;-)
    >>
    >> Anyway - they weren't happy with the line, but couldn't isolate the
    >> problem. At one time, they even ran a brand new (temporary) cable in
    >> parallel - straight from the box in the street to my router.
    >> Honestly, they couldn't have been more helpful.
    >>
    >> In the end - and for no apparent reason - the problems just seemed to
    >> go away. Telecom can certainly be criticised for their national
    >> policies, but their individual, grass-roots, technicians are
    >> tremendous, IMHO.

    > I have had a similar experience to Adam - but I am with Xtra. At my
    > place I had them back about 5 times and the last time they replaced
    > wiring replaced on an earlier visit by another technician and the
    > connection stability improved dramatically. However over the whole
    > episode the following was done:
    > a) Xtra-supplied single-PC replaced with equivalent 4-port
    > router/modem. b) Parts of house wiring replaced.
    > c) Pairs from street to exchange swapped. I was therefore swapped to
    > new copper. d) Port swapped at exchange.
    >
    > Don't worry about the threat of costs. The techies who come
    > visiting, I found, are not interested in finding a reason to charge
    > you. I was charged for one visit but this was credited when I
    > queried it. Other than that there were no costs involved.
    >
    > Go for it and don't let up until the problem is resolved.

    Thanks Crash, will do. Must admit that the thought of an unexpected bill of
    $80 is a bit worrying. Hopefully I won't be charged and it was just a threat
    to try to get me to say I'll live with the problem. :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2006
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Crash wrote:
    >> Don't worry about the threat of costs. The techies who come
    >> visiting, I found, are not interested in finding a reason to charge
    >> you. I was charged for one visit but this was credited when I
    >> queried it. Other than that there were no costs involved.
    >>
    >> Go for it and don't let up until the problem is resolved.

    > Thanks Crash, will do. Must admit that the thought of an unexpected
    > bill of $80 is a bit worrying. Hopefully I won't be charged and it
    > was just a threat to try to get me to say I'll live with the problem.
    > :)

    Well, I had a South African guy knocking on my door while I was in bed this
    morning (Telecom always used to ring ahead). I asked "Who is it?" in a loud
    voice and he said "I'm from Telecom". I asked him to wait a minute. Turned
    out to be more like 10 minutes as I'm having a particularly bad day today,
    the radiculopathy from my back injury causes nocturnal leg cramps to varying
    degrees and last night was bad. I have torn muscles in my left calf this
    morning and it took me ages to get dressed and hobble to the door.

    He said he'd come to test my line, I told him to walk that way to the other
    end of the house and I'd catch him up. I showed him my one and only jack
    point (Double adapter and cordless phone share the point). He plugged in his
    laptop and after a moment told me my line was excellent and asked again what
    the problem I was having was. I told him, PPP drop-outs, 50+ a month, (11
    yesterday) increasing month-by-month from around 4 drop-outs / month six
    months ago.

    He said Ok, I need to have my port changed. he'll go arrange it and ring me
    back when it's in progress. He said it's a software process that can take up
    to 4 hours to run so I'll be without a connection for that long. (Eeeek!!
    And on a day when I can't do much else!).

    I then have to give it a week and if there are still problems to ring an
    0800 number he gave me and quote a job number which he also gave me.

    Wish me luck......
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2006
  11. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:44061508
    @news2.actrix.gen.nz:

    > I then have to give it a week and if there are still problems to ring an
    > 0800 number he gave me and quote a job number which he also gave me.

    At least you got the job number, we all know how important that is 8).

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 2, 2006
  12. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:51:57 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > Crash wrote:
    >
    >> Don't worry about the threat of costs. The techies who come visiting, I
    >> found, are not interested in finding a reason to charge you. I was
    >> charged for one visit but this was credited when I queried it. Other
    >> than that there were no costs involved.
    >>
    >> Go for it and don't let up until the problem is resolved.

    > And these faults will be so much easier to get fixed when unbundling occurs
    > right??? Doubt it...

    Unbundling is about competition, not fault fixing. Ha!

    Gordon, Mar 2, 2006
  13. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 23:41:49 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> Aren't Orcon and Telecom bedmates ?

    > Yes, very much so. One of the few guys I spoke to on Orcon's helpdesk who
    > sounded like a NZer and seemed to know stuff said as much. He said that
    > Orcon enjoy a "special" relationship with Telecom, that it wasn't publicised
    > or well-known.

    Ah, so shutting the jack up, is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

    Interesting we have Telecom doing some rebranding. Still in the business
    world these days who owns whom?

    Gordon, Mar 2, 2006
  14. ~misfit~

    Troggles Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > find an intermittant fault like that?).
    >
    > I had to agree that, if a fault is found with my router or wiring, I will
    > have to pay $80. (What does the Wiring Maintainance Contract of $2.24 a
    > month that I pay cover?) I ask for a time-frame on the Telecom guy coming
    > out (Bob has the Telecom rep on another line) and am told that they can't
    > give me one, they're busy at the moment.
    >
    > So now I wait for a visit from Bastards Inc.
    >
    > So far, I'm very impressed with Actrix's helpdesk. I less than an hour

    they
    > did what I thought needed doing, i.e. contacting Telecom. I spent over

    three
    > weeks with Orcon, calling their helldesk, being in phone queues, trying to
    > decode heavilly accented English and generally being pushed from pillar to
    > post, trying to get them to do the same thing, until I terminated my

    Would you get better service on a business plan ? I suspect you would.

    Oh the weight of the world.................

    Troggles, Mar 2, 2006
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:44061508
    > @news2.actrix.gen.nz:
    >
    >> I then have to give it a week and if there are still problems to
    >> ring an 0800 number he gave me and quote a job number which he also
    >> gave me.
    >>

    > At least you got the job number, we all know how important that is 8).

    Heh! Too true. Without it you may as well forget ever talking to anyone who
    knows what actually happened. Even though you give them your phone number,
    address, DOB, date of job, tech's name...... It seems they can't search by
    anything other than job number.

    BTW, looking good so far.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 2, 2006
  16. On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:40:43 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Crash wrote:
    >>> Don't worry about the threat of costs. The techies who come
    >>> visiting, I found, are not interested in finding a reason to charge
    >>> you. I was charged for one visit but this was credited when I
    >>> queried it. Other than that there were no costs involved.
    >>>
    >>> Go for it and don't let up until the problem is resolved.

    >> Thanks Crash, will do. Must admit that the thought of an unexpected
    >> bill of $80 is a bit worrying. Hopefully I won't be charged and it
    >> was just a threat to try to get me to say I'll live with the problem.
    >> :)

    >Well, I had a South African guy knocking on my door while I was in bed this
    >morning (Telecom always used to ring ahead). I asked "Who is it?" in a loud
    >voice and he said "I'm from Telecom". I asked him to wait a minute. Turned
    >out to be more like 10 minutes as I'm having a particularly bad day today,
    >the radiculopathy from my back injury causes nocturnal leg cramps to varying
    >degrees and last night was bad. I have torn muscles in my left calf this
    >morning and it took me ages to get dressed and hobble to the door.
    >
    >He said he'd come to test my line, I told him to walk that way to the other
    >end of the house and I'd catch him up. I showed him my one and only jack
    >point (Double adapter and cordless phone share the point). He plugged in his
    >laptop and after a moment told me my line was excellent and asked again what
    >the problem I was having was. I told him, PPP drop-outs, 50+ a month, (11
    >yesterday) increasing month-by-month from around 4 drop-outs / month six
    >months ago.
    >
    >He said Ok, I need to have my port changed. he'll go arrange it and ring me
    >back when it's in progress. He said it's a software process that can take up
    >to 4 hours to run so I'll be without a connection for that long. (Eeeek!!
    >And on a day when I can't do much else!).
    >
    >I then have to give it a week and if there are still problems to ring an
    >0800 number he gave me and quote a job number which he also gave me.
    >
    >Wish me luck......

    Aha! You may now be in possession of the magic 0800 number that gets
    straight through to the ADSL Helpdesk at Telecom. If so, the people
    you get to talk to there actually know what they are doing. DO NOT
    LOSE THAT NUMBER!

    When I last had my port changed, all they needed to do was go away to
    the exchange and do it. I was offline for less than a minute about 20
    minutes after the tech left my place. However, that was back when I
    was on the old Jetstream Starter 128 Kibit/s connection via Actrix. It
    sounds like handling UBS connections is less well supported by Telecom
    (guess why), and they have to wait for an automatic script to update
    the setup every few hours to match the physical port change.

    Stephen Worthington, Mar 2, 2006