    stays connected. This seems to indicate to me that it is not a
    problem with my provider but rather a problem with this specific
    computer. So, could a virus do this?

    John H. Power, Jul 13, 2004

  2. John H. Power

    Brian Guest

    "John H. Power" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > This is a follow up to my previous question about losing my DSL
    > connection. When I am using the computer there is no problem but when
    > I leave it for awhile or put is on standby then re-start it I often
    > have to reboot to get my connection back. However, even when I have
    > lost my connection on this computer the other computer on my network
    > stays connected. This seems to indicate to me that it is not a
    > problem with my provider but rather a problem with this specific
    > computer. So, could a virus do this?

    stop the computer hibernating...

    Brian, Jul 13, 2004

  3. On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:20:34 +0200, "Brian" <> wrote:

    >"John H. Power" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> This is a follow up to my previous question about losing my DSL
    >> connection. When I am using the computer there is no problem but when
    >> I leave it for awhile or put is on standby then re-start it I often
    >> have to reboot to get my connection back. However, even when I have
    >> lost my connection on this computer the other computer on my network
    >> stays connected. This seems to indicate to me that it is not a
    >> problem with my provider but rather a problem with this specific
    >> computer. So, could a virus do this?

    >stop the computer hibernating...

    My computer does not go into hibernation. Sometimes I lose the
    connection when I just don't use it but it is still up and running.

    John H. Power, Jul 13, 2004
  4. John H. Power

    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:20:34 +0200, "Brian" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"John H. Power" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > >> This is a follow up to my previous question about losing my DSL
    > >> connection. When I am using the computer there is no problem but when
    > >> I leave it for awhile or put is on standby then re-start it I often
    > >> have to reboot to get my connection back. However, even when I have
    > >> lost my connection on this computer the other computer on my network
    > >> stays connected. This seems to indicate to me that it is not a
    > >> problem with my provider but rather a problem with this specific
    > >> computer. So, could a virus do this?

    > >stop the computer hibernating...
    > >

    > My computer does not go into hibernation. Sometimes I lose the
    > connection when I just don't use it but it is still up and running.

    oh yes it does.. check out what happens when the screen saver appears...

    Brian, Jul 13, 2004
  5. On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:05:27 +0200, "Brian" <> wrote:

    >"John H. Power" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:20:34 +0200, "Brian" <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"John H. Power" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> >
    >> >stop the computer hibernating...
    >> >

    >> My computer does not go into hibernation. Sometimes I lose the
    >> connection when I just don't use it but it is still up and running.

    >oh yes it does.. check out what happens when the screen saver appears...

    The screen saver never appears and I have the hibernation option off.
    I can get online, go off line to do some wordprocessing, then 5
    minutes later try to get online and I cannot. No standby, no
    hibernation, just a broken connection for no apparent reason which is
    why I am wondering if a virus could do this.

    John H. Power, Jul 13, 2004
  6. John H. Power

    Thor Guest

    > The screen saver never appears and I have the hibernation option off.
    > I can get online, go off line to do some wordprocessing, then 5
    > minutes later try to get online and I cannot. No standby, no
    > hibernation, just a broken connection for no apparent reason which is
    > why I am wondering if a virus could do this.

    go into your device manager, and set the ethernet controller (or the USB
    controllers/ USB root hub depending on how your DSL modem connects to your
    PC) and make sure to disable the option that allows windows to disable the
    device to save power. That may possibly help.

    Thor, Jul 13, 2004
  7. On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:47:01 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >> The screen saver never appears and I have the hibernation option off.
    >> I can get online, go off line to do some wordprocessing, then 5
    >> minutes later try to get online and I cannot. No standby, no
    >> hibernation, just a broken connection for no apparent reason which is
    >> why I am wondering if a virus could do this.

    >go into your device manager, and set the ethernet controller (or the USB
    >controllers/ USB root hub depending on how your DSL modem connects to your
    >PC) and make sure to disable the option that allows windows to disable the
    >device to save power. That may possibly help.

    I am looking on the list for the ethernet controller and I don't see
    it. Would that be a systems device?

    Incidentally, when I was home at lunch I was online. I left my
    computer (Sony PCVRS-430G) on when I went back to work. When I got
    home I had to re-start to get back on line even though the other
    computers on the network had no problem accessing the Internet. Very
    puzzling. Could a virus cause this type of thing?

    John H. Power, Jul 13, 2004
  8. John H. Power

    Thor Guest

    "John H. Power" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:47:01 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:
    >

    > >> The screen saver never appears and I have the hibernation option off.
    > >> I can get online, go off line to do some wordprocessing, then 5
    > >> minutes later try to get online and I cannot. No standby, no
    > >> hibernation, just a broken connection for no apparent reason which is
    > >> why I am wondering if a virus could do this.

    > >go into your device manager, and set the ethernet controller (or the USB
    > >controllers/ USB root hub depending on how your DSL modem connects to

    your
    > >PC) and make sure to disable the option that allows windows to disable

    the
    > >device to save power. That may possibly help.
    > >

    > I am looking on the list for the ethernet controller and I don't see
    > it. Would that be a systems device?

    It will be listed in the device manager under "network adapters". It will
    likely say "network controller" or similar. Sorry. I assumed you knew what
    "ethernet" meant in terms of the controller hardware.

    > Incidentally, when I was home at lunch I was online. I left my
    > computer (Sony PCVRS-430G) on when I went back to work. When I got
    > home I had to re-start to get back on line even though the other
    > computers on the network had no problem accessing the Internet. Very
    > puzzling. Could a virus cause this type of thing?

    Not likely, but not impossible. Check the Microsoft Knowledge base. I
    believe there are some articles dealing with this problem. I know one of the
    solutions offered is what I suggested to you.

    Thor, Jul 14, 2004
  9. John H. Power

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John, turn off your *clown* radar detection and killfile that *clown* and be
    done with it. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 14, 2004
  10. On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:17:30 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >"John H. Power" <> wrote in message

    >> >go into your device manager, and set the ethernet controller (or the USB
    >> >controllers/ USB root hub depending on how your DSL modem connects to

    >your
    >> >PC) and make sure to disable the option that allows windows to disable

    >the
    >> >device to save power. That may possibly help.
    >> >

    >> I am looking on the list for the ethernet controller and I don't see
    >> it. Would that be a systems device?

    >It will be listed in the device manager under "network adapters". It will
    >likely say "network controller" or similar. Sorry. I assumed you knew what
    >"ethernet" meant in terms of the controller hardware.
    >

    >> Incidentally, when I was home at lunch I was online. I left my
    >> computer (Sony PCVRS-430G) on when I went back to work. When I got
    >> home I had to re-start to get back on line even though the other
    >> computers on the network had no problem accessing the Internet. Very
    >> puzzling. Could a virus cause this type of thing?

    >Not likely, but not impossible. Check the Microsoft Knowledge base. I
    >believe there are some articles dealing with this problem. I know one of the
    >solutions offered is what I suggested to you.

    Thanks Thor. I saw that before but did not know it was related to the
    ethernet port. I have now unchecked the box and we will see if that
    makes a difference..

    John H. Power, Jul 14, 2004
  11. John H. Power

    Stuart Guest

    John H. Power wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:47:01 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:
    >

    >>>The screen saver never appears and I have the hibernation option off.
    >>>I can get online, go off line to do some wordprocessing, then 5
    >>>minutes later try to get online and I cannot. No standby, no
    >>>hibernation, just a broken connection for no apparent reason which is
    >>>why I am wondering if a virus could do this.

    >>go into your device manager, and set the ethernet controller (or the USB
    >>controllers/ USB root hub depending on how your DSL modem connects to your
    >>PC) and make sure to disable the option that allows windows to disable the
    >>device to save power. That may possibly help.
    >>

    > I am looking on the list for the ethernet controller and I don't see
    > it. Would that be a systems device?
    >
    > Incidentally, when I was home at lunch I was online. I left my
    > computer (Sony PCVRS-430G) on when I went back to work. When I got
    > home I had to re-start to get back on line even though the other
    > computers on the network had no problem accessing the Internet. Very
    > puzzling. Could a virus cause this type of thing?

    Have you run a virus checker on the machine?

    If it was a virus then it would probably be a random thing and you could
    be disconnected while in the middle of something, but as it seems to be
    disconnecting after a period of inactivity this suggests it is a setting
    of some kind.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jul 14, 2004
  12. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:14:24 +0100, Stuart <> wrote:

    >John H. Power wrote:

    >>>go into your device manager, and set the ethernet controller (or the USB
    >>>controllers/ USB root hub depending on how your DSL modem connects to your
    >>>PC) and make sure to disable the option that allows windows to disable the
    >>>device to save power. That may possibly help.
    >>>

    >> I am looking on the list for the ethernet controller and I don't see
    >> it. Would that be a systems device?
    >>
    >> Incidentally, when I was home at lunch I was online. I left my
    >> computer (Sony PCVRS-430G) on when I went back to work. When I got
    >> home I had to re-start to get back on line even though the other
    >> computers on the network had no problem accessing the Internet. Very
    >> puzzling. Could a virus cause this type of thing?

    >Have you run a virus checker on the machine?
    >
    >If it was a virus then it would probably be a random thing and you could
    >be disconnected while in the middle of something, but as it seems to be
    >disconnecting after a period of inactivity this suggests it is a setting
    >of some kind.
    >
    >Stuart

    Yes, I agree. The solution Thor suggested did not work...

    John H. Power, Jul 14, 2004
  13. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:08:49 GMT, "Duane Arnold" <>
    wrote:

    >John, turn off your *clown* radar detection and killfile that *clown* and be
    >done with it. :)
    >
    >Duane :)

    Yeah. I am done playing with this young man. His entertainment value
    has fizzled to zero. He is easily disposed of by simply ignoring him.

    I still have my computer problem though....

    John H. Power, Jul 14, 2004
  14. John H. Power

    Frog fucker Guest

    John H. Power wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:08:49 GMT, "Duane Arnold" <>
    >
    > I still have my computer problem though....

    Then why did you ignore the fixes (2) he gave you? Either would have worked,
    but you decided to be an arse instead.

    Frog fucker, Jul 14, 2004
  15. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:00:10 -0700, "Frog fucker"
    <****> wrote:

    >John H. Power wrote:
    >> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:08:49 GMT, "Duane Arnold" <>
    >>
    >> I still have my computer problem though....

    >Then why did you ignore the fixes (2) he gave you? Either would have worked,
    >but you decided to be an arse instead.

    Anyone with a nickname as stupid as yours deserves to be ignored also
    so consider yourself ignored. Of course since you are also so easily
    manipulated I am sure you too will respond to my commands and the
    first one is a command not to not respond to this message...

    John H. Power, Jul 15, 2004
  16. John H. Power

    Diogenes Guest

    John H. Power wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:00:10 -0700, "Frog fucker"
    > <****> wrote:
    >
    >> John H. Power wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:08:49 GMT, "Duane Arnold" <>
    >>>
    >>> I still have my computer problem though....

    >> Then why did you ignore the fixes (2) he gave you? Either would
    >> have worked, but you decided to be an arse instead.

    > Anyone with a nickname as stupid as yours deserves to be ignored also
    > so consider yourself ignored. Of course since you are also so easily
    > manipulated I am sure you too will respond to my commands and the
    > first one is a command not to not respond to this message...

    <shakes head - some people's children>

    That is the lamest diatribe I've ever seen. Is it your intent to make people
    think you're an idiot?

    --
    Diogenes

    Diogenes, Jul 15, 2004
  17. Duane Arnold, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use,
    wrote:

    > John, turn off your *clown* radar detection and killfile that *clown* and be
    > done with it. :)
    >
    > Duane :)

    Says the ever-grinning, drooling village idiot.

    Swedish Meatball, Jul 15, 2004
  18. John H. Power, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to
    use, wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:08:49 GMT, "Duane Arnold" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>John, turn off your *clown* radar detection and killfile that *clown* and be
    >>done with it. :)
    >>
    >>Duane :)
    >>

    > Yeah. I am done playing with this young man. His entertainment value
    > has fizzled to zero. He is easily disposed of by simply ignoring him.

    Translation: I can slink away with the best of them!

    > I still have my computer problem though....

    Translation: In my contemptibly idiotic attempts to show how smart I am, I
    threw reasoning out the door and refused to listen to any help offered.

    Swedish Meatball, Jul 15, 2004
  19. John H. Power

    relic Guest

    Diogenes wrote:
    > John H. Power wrote:
    >> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:00:10 -0700, "Frog fucker"
    >> <****> wrote:

    >>> Then why did you ignore the fixes (2) he gave you? Either would
    >>> have worked, but you decided to be an arse instead.

    >> Anyone with a nickname as stupid as yours deserves to be ignored also
    >> so consider yourself ignored. Of course since you are also so easily
    >> manipulated I am sure you too will respond to my commands and the
    >> first one is a command not to not respond to this message...

    > <shakes head - some people's children>
    >
    > That is the lamest diatribe I've ever seen. Is it your intent to make
    > people think you're an idiot?

    He succeeded.

    --
    - relic -
    Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive.

    relic, Jul 15, 2004
  20. John H. Power, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to
    use, wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:00:10 -0700, "Frog fucker"
    > <****> wrote:
    >
    >>John H. Power wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:08:49 GMT, "Duane Arnold" <>
    >>>
    >>> I still have my computer problem though....

    >>Then why did you ignore the fixes (2) he gave you? Either would have worked,
    >>but you decided to be an arse instead.

    > Anyone with a nickname as stupid as yours deserves to be ignored also
    > so consider yourself ignored. Of course since you are also so easily
    > manipulated I am sure you too will respond to my commands and the
    > first one is a command not to not respond to this message...

    Translation: This is all I can think of...it works about half the time with my
    3 year old child...the other half the time I am utterly baffled and degraded by
    his superior intellect over me (at least I was able to feel superior to him for
    his first couple of years of life though, HA!)

    Swedish Meatball, Jul 15, 2004