dsl disconnecting

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JS, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. JS

    JS Guest

    :

    >>Greetings,
    >>I have been trying to use a chat/webcam software with my newly acquired
    >>dsl,
    >>which had been working fine with dialup. After about 15 to 20 minutes, it
    >>cuts off my connection with the internet, no email, no web pages, no
    >>nothing, while the modem still shows a connection(lights) The dsl provider
    >>says that it is still connected on their end. The only way to get internet
    >>back is to reboot the modem. I am presently in contact with the modem mfg.
    >>support, and they gave me some configuration suggestions but it is still
    >>doing the same thing.. Program support has helped all they can and thinks
    >>that it is the modem. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Different
    >>modem? etc.

    > How about being a bit more specific?? Right now you are very vague,
    > almost unhelpable. :-(
    >
    > 1] Which DSL Modem? EL uses many Brands/Models.
    > 2] What OS?
    > 3] What Chat Program?
    > 4] Are you using a Router?
    > 5] Are you using a Firewall?
    > 6] Are you running an updated AntiVirus?

    Sorry,
    1.Zyxel model # SP-645M-A1
    2.XP Pro SP-2
    3.Yahcamview (chat/webcam software)
    4.No router
    5.yes firewall
    6.yes anti virus
    I don't think that the AV and firewall are having any effect on this, as I
    installed both of them after the dsl was hooked up and I was already having
    this problem. In other words, the program was working fine with dial-up, I
    got dsl hooked up and started having this disconnect problem, and then I
    installed AV and firewall. Make sense? Is this better :) ? I appreciate your
    help.
    JS
    JS, Mar 25, 2005

  2. JS wrote:
    [TOFU because the reference to the OP got lost]
    > :
    >>
    >>>Greetings,
    >>>I have been trying to use a chat/webcam software with my newly acquired
    >>>dsl,
    >>>which had been working fine with dialup. After about 15 to 20 minutes, it
    >>>cuts off my connection with the internet, no email, no web pages, no
    >>>nothing, while the modem still shows a connection(lights) The dsl
    >>>provider says that it is still connected on their end. The only way to
    >>>get internet back is to reboot the modem. I am presently in contact with
    >>>the modem mfg. support, and they gave me some configuration suggestions
    >>>but it is still doing the same thing.. Program support has helped all
    >>>they can and thinks that it is the modem. Anyone out there have any
    >>>suggestions? Different modem? etc.

    >> How about being a bit more specific?? Right now you are very vague,
    >> almost unhelpable. :-(
    >>
    >> 1] Which DSL Modem? EL uses many Brands/Models.
    >> 2] What OS?
    >> 3] What Chat Program?
    >> 4] Are you using a Router?
    >> 5] Are you using a Firewall?
    >> 6] Are you running an updated AntiVirus?

    > Sorry,
    > 1.Zyxel model # SP-645M-A1
    > 2.XP Pro SP-2
    > 3.Yahcamview (chat/webcam software)
    > 4.No router
    > 5.yes firewall
    > 6.yes anti virus
    > I don't think that the AV and firewall are having any effect on this, as I
    > installed both of them after the dsl was hooked up and I was already
    > having this problem. In other words, the program was working fine with
    > dial-up, I got dsl hooked up and started having this disconnect problem,
    > and then I installed AV and firewall. Make sense? Is this better :) ? I
    > appreciate your help.
    > JS

    Now you can only try to debug your own pc:
    - when the connection is still alive, do
    - execute "cmd"
    type "ipconfig /all"

    Work on, until the connection breaks and leave the cmd window open in the
    background, or open another one
    - run "ipconfig /all" again and compare the results.

    - If there is any difference, look for occurrence of a all-zero ip-address.
    If you find this, try "ipconfig /renew". Otherwise come back with the
    difference.
    - If you get the same numbers as before, try
    - ping <ip-number of your "Gateway">
    - ping <ip-number of the "Name server(s)">
    - ping some well-known address like www.google.com

    - telnet www.google.com 80
    You should get a "connected to ..." message.

    If you see a failure anywhere on that procedure, come back.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Mar 25, 2005

  3. JS

    JS Guest

    Walter,
    I did the 1st ping(default Gateway), and after 4 requests timed out, I got a
    result of Packets sent=4 received=0 Lost=4 (100%loss)
    All of the other numbers above seem to be the same.No zero ip's.

    JS, Mar 25, 2005
  4. JS wrote:

    > Walter,
    > I did the 1st ping(default Gateway), and after 4 requests timed out, I got
    > a result of Packets sent=4 received=0 Lost=4 (100%loss)
    > All of the other numbers above seem to be the same.No zero ip's.

    So you say your default gateway doesn't change after a ipconfig /renew, like
    anything else, but you cannot reach it anymore. Hmmm ... weird. Try to
    restart your firewall, or just the dsl modem by plugging off and on again.
    Now that definately should not happen, either your dsl connection gets
    disturbed (though support says it can still connect from their side) or you
    should try change the network interface in your computer, eventually - if
    no luck - go for a modem exchange.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Mar 25, 2005
  5. JS

    JS Guest

    Walter,
    I must have misread your instructions. I just did the "ipconfig/renew' just
    after it disconnected and got the following: "an error occurred while
    renewing interface local area connection : unable to contact your DHCP
    server. Request has timed out".
    On the previous post I tried to state that there was no difference in the
    numbers when I tried the ipconfig/all before and after the disconnect.

    JS, Mar 25, 2005
  6. JS wrote:

    > Walter,
    > I must have misread your instructions. I just did the "ipconfig/renew'
    > just after it disconnected and got the following: "an error occurred while
    > renewing interface local area connection : unable to contact your DHCP
    > server. Request has timed out".
    > On the previous post I tried to state that there was no difference in the
    > numbers when I tried the ipconfig/all before and after the disconnect.

    Looks like a hardware hiccup/lock. Unable to ping default gateway, so
    obviously dhcp requests also fail. I am clueless too, you may borrow a
    suitable pcmcia network adapter (since it's a laptop) and try that one.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Mar 25, 2005
  7. JS

    JS Guest

    Well, it's not a laptop, but thanks for your help.

    JS, Mar 25, 2005
  8. On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:14:01 +0100, Walter Mautner
    <> wrote:

    >JS wrote:
    >
    >> Walter,
    >> I must have misread your instructions. I just did the "ipconfig/renew'
    >> just after it disconnected and got the following: "an error occurred while
    >> renewing interface local area connection : unable to contact your DHCP
    >> server. Request has timed out".
    >> On the previous post I tried to state that there was no difference in the
    >> numbers when I tried the ipconfig/all before and after the disconnect.
    >>

    >Looks like a hardware hiccup/lock. Unable to ping default gateway, so
    >obviously dhcp requests also fail. I am clueless too, you may borrow a
    >suitable pcmcia network adapter (since it's a laptop) and try that one.

    Have you checked downstream signal strength in your modem log page?
    (+15 to -15 recommended range.)
    Graham P. Filderson, Mar 26, 2005