    connection and it says it cannot get another ip address from the
    modem. and I cannot log into the modem either. But I just can't figure
    out where this weird IP is coming from.

    Kong_1, May 12, 2005

  2. Kong_1

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    Kong_1 took 12 lines to utter:

    >I have a westell dsl modem connected to a computer with a network
    >cable. It was working fine but now all of a sudden they cannot access
    >the internet and the ip on the network card has changed to some
    >256.xxx.xxx.xxx instead of the 192.168.1.27 that it is supposed to
    >be and I hooked it up to another computer and it works fine and give
    >the correct Ip address and everything. Could a bad network card cause
    >this strange Ip address or would this be something else. I thought it
    >was the modem at first but I tried it on another comp and it works so
    >it is left at the computer. And I have attepted repairing the
    >connection and it says it cannot get another ip address from the
    >modem. and I cannot log into the modem either. But I just can't figure
    >out where this weird IP is coming from.

    I have to ask: have you tried a simple reboot?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 12, 2005

  3. "Kong_1" <> wrote in message
    >I have a westell dsl modem connected to a computer with a network
    > cable. It was working fine but now all of a sudden they cannot access
    > the internet and the ip on the network card has changed to some
    > 256.xxx.xxx.xxx instead of the 192.168.1.27 that it is supposed to
    > be and I hooked it up to another computer and it works fine and give
    > the correct Ip address and everything. Could a bad network card cause
    > this strange Ip address or would this be something else. I thought it
    > was the modem at first but I tried it on another comp and it works so
    > it is left at the computer. And I have attepted repairing the
    > connection and it says it cannot get another ip address from the
    > modem. and I cannot log into the modem either. But I just can't figure
    > out where this weird IP is coming from.

    Did you try switching cables too to see if the problem doesn't follow?

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 13, 2005
  4. Kong_1

    Guest

    If you are using a router in addition to your DSL modem, that could be the
    problem. If I understand things correctly, the DSL modem actually gets its
    address from the router. If the router has problems, it may not be the
    modem's fault that you're not connecting.

    , May 13, 2005
  5. <> wrote in message
    > If you are using a router in addition to your DSL modem, that could be the
    > problem. If I understand things correctly, the DSL modem actually gets its
    > address from the router. If the router has problems, it may not be the
    > modem's fault that you're not connecting.

    WHAT? The modem is provisioned and the MAC of the modem is linked to the
    user's account at the ISP's network. The router in turn uses the IP that the
    modem is assigned so that machines connected to the router can share the
    single IP assigned by the ISP. The router using its DHCP server issues
    private IP(s) for computers requesting a DHCP IP from the router or the
    computer can use a static IP on the router too to access the Internet
    through the ISP.

    In addition, some ISP(s) for instance on a broad brand connection will
    require that the first device behind the modem have its MAC provisioned too
    and that could be a computer, router, or FW appliance.

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 13, 2005
  6. Kong_1

    Guest

    oh well, never mind.

    , May 13, 2005
  7. Kong_1

    Kong_1 Guest

    DSL Connect problem update

    I have tried a reboot. I have unplugged the modem and plugged it back
    in. I have reset the modem. I have changed wires. It is not hooked up
    through a hub or router. It is directly into the modem. I know it is
    not the modem because I ran it through my laptop and got the correct
    ip address and it connected to the internet. Bellsouth said it is the
    network card so I changed it and that didn't work . Which I didn't
    think it was that anyway.

    When you plug it in it get
    ip address 169.254.25.154
    Subnet mask 255.255.0.0

    and when I click repair it say failed to renew IP address.

    it is supposed to be 192.168.1.27

    it works in other computers and I have tried a new card so it isn't
    the modem or card. I even upgraded from home to pro to see if that
    would fix whatever settings were wrong and it didn't work. I am trying
    to figure out where it is getting this ip and why it won't renew it
    after it gets it? What are my other options?

    Kong_1, May 13, 2005
  8. Re: DSL Connect problem update

    "Kong_1" <> wrote in message
    >I have tried a reboot. I have unplugged the modem and plugged it back
    > in. I have reset the modem. I have changed wires. It is not hooked up
    > through a hub or router. It is directly into the modem. I know it is
    > not the modem because I ran it through my laptop and got the correct
    > ip address and it connected to the internet. Bellsouth said it is the
    > network card so I changed it and that didn't work . Which I didn't
    > think it was that anyway.
    >
    > When you plug it in it get
    > ip address 169.254.25.154
    > Subnet mask 255.255.0.0

    The 169 IP means that the machine cannot get an IP from the DHCP server on
    the router and the O/S and it's timing out and is assigning the IP to the
    NIC. The 169. IP will not allow the machine to access the Internet, since it
    never got an IP from the router. This is usually due to some
    mis-configuration of the NIC on the machine.

    > and when I click repair it say failed to renew IP address.
    >
    > it is supposed to be 192.168.1.27

    It's not going to get any IP from the router or if you direct connect the
    machine to the modem. The machine is not going to get any IP that's going to
    allow it to access the Internet.

    > it works in other computers and I have tried a new card so it isn't
    > the modem or card. I even upgraded from home to pro to see if that
    > would fix whatever settings were wrong and it didn't work. I am trying
    > to figure out where it is getting this ip and why it won't renew it
    > after it gets it? What are my other options?

    It seems that the TCP/IP Stack on the machine is hosed and needs to be
    reinstalled/reset to release the 169 IP the machine is getting.

    I suggest you use Google or Dogpile.com and find out how to reset or
    reinstall the TCP/IP Stack on whatever Windows O/S you are using on the
    machine.

    Duane :)

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 13, 2005
  9. Kong_1

    Kong_1 Guest

    Re: DSL Connect problem update---Hate K-CSC

    Ok ... I found this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357 from
    microsoft on how to reset the tcp/ip stack. It says to use the command

    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

    and it is supposed to reset everything and leave a list of everything
    it changed in the log file. But when I type it it just creates the log
    file that has nothing in it but <completed>. Am I just doing it wrong
    or is the computer that screwed.

    Kong_1, May 16, 2005
  10. Re: DSL Connect problem update---Hate K-CSC

    "Kong_1" <> wrote in message
    > Ok ... I found this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357 from
    > microsoft on how to reset the tcp/ip stack. It says to use the command
    >

    > netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    >
    > and it is supposed to reset everything and leave a list of everything
    > it changed in the log file. But when I type it it just creates the log
    > file that has nothing in it but <completed>. Am I just doing it wrong
    > or is the computer that screwed.

    I have used the above command a couple of times. As I recall, it had a few
    lines in the log file. However, when I ran the command on my machine that
    has no problems, I got the <complete> too as the only thing in the log file.
    Is the machine still holding on to the 169 IP?

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC Duane ;-\), May 17, 2005
  11. Kong_1

    Kong_1 Guest

    Re: DSL Connect problem update---Hate K-CSC

    Yes it is still holding the 169 .... I also tried the

    ipconfig /release
    and got the same thing..... It will not release the ip

    Kong_1, May 19, 2005
  12. Re: DSL Connect problem update---Hate K-CSC

    "Kong_1" <> wrote in message
    > Yes it is still holding the 169 .... I also tried the
    >
    > ipconfig /release
    > and got the same thing..... It will not release the ip

    Not going back over this entire thread, but I think you made mention that
    you have put another card in the machine and it works and you don't get the
    169 IP. If that is the case, I don't think reinstalling the O/S is going to
    buy you anything but you can try. It seems strange it's that one card and
    you have tried the card in other machines and the card works so you say.

    Maybe, your best bet is to just get another card and move on.

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC Duane ;-\), May 19, 2005
  13. Kong_1

    Kong_1 Guest

    Re: DSL Connect problem update---Hate K-CSC

    No...... I tried another card with the same results. If the new card
    worked I would not be trying anything else. That is why I need help.

    JR

    Kong_1, May 19, 2005