DSL carrier drop-outs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Larry Spitz, Nov 1, 2007.

  1. Larry Spitz

    Larry Spitz Guest

    I have an ongoing problem with DSL carrier dropouts. I am an Xtra customer.
    I called Xtra and after being shunted from one person to another I spent a
    long time on the phone with Sri who was not of any help in resolving the
    problem of my many DSL dropouts. He seemed to want to blame the problem on
    either the fact that I primarily run Linux or on the fact that I have more
    than one computer on my LAN (through a DLink switch).

    In the end he hung up on me, probably as frustrated as I am.

    My basic problem is this:

    I replaced my modem with a DLink DSL-502T which I bought from Telecom. The
    modem was replaced because the last modem (a Lectron also purchased from
    Telecom) was having many faults.

    This modem is also failing, or the DSL carrier is failing. Several times a
    day (35 times in 6 hours on October 29) the DSL carrier disappears.

    The modem log shows the following each time:

    Oct 29 09:37:24> DSL Carrier is down
    Oct 29 09:37:54> DSL Carrier is up
    Oct 29 09:37:54> sar read trained mode (1)(ADSL_G.dmt)
    Oct 29 09:37:55> PPPD Terminated Through Signal
    Oct 29 09:37:56> Connection terminated.
    Oct 29 09:37:56> pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
    Oct 29 09:37:56> Connect: ppp0 {--}
    Oct 29 09:37:59> WAN IP address 219.89.119.59
    Oct 29 09:37:59> PPPoA Connect with IP Address 219.89.119.59
    Oct 29 09:37:59> PPPoA Connection Successfully Established
    Oct 29 09:37:59> PPPoA Connect with Gateway IP Address: 222.155.128.1
    Oct 29 09:37:59> WAN gateway 222.155.128.1
    Oct 29 09:37:59> primary DNS address 202.27.158.40
    Oct 29 09:37:59> secondary DNS address 202.27.156.72
    Oct 29 09:39:54> DSL Carrier is down

    Once every day or two, it does not recover automatically and though all of
    the lights on the modem are blinking pleasantly away except for the DSL
    link light which is out, a power-cycle is needed to re-establish
    communication.

    And my question is: Am I seeing an unusual number of DSL carrier losses?
    Should the modem always recover gracefully.

    I think I have a DSL problem. Telecom thinks it is my problem.
    Any help/advice/information appreciated.

    Larry Spitz, Nov 1, 2007

  2. Larry Spitz

    XPD Guest

    "Larry Spitz" <> wrote in message
    > Once every day or two, it does not recover automatically and though all of
    > the lights on the modem are blinking pleasantly away except for the DSL
    > link light which is out, a power-cycle is needed to re-establish
    > communication.
    >
    > And my question is: Am I seeing an unusual number of DSL carrier losses?
    > Should the modem always recover gracefully.
    >
    > I think I have a DSL problem. Telecom thinks it is my problem.
    > Any help/advice/information appreciated.

    You havent said what they got you to try or how your DSL was installed....

    So, was its a self install, and a central filter installed ?
    If it was self installed, uplug everything from the phone lines except the
    DSL router. If that stops the issue, then obviously youve got a dodgy bit of
    equipment somewhere. Plug things back in one by one until the problem
    appears again.....

    My DSL kept dropping and speeds all over the place for quite some time, 1
    person found my port (@ the exchange) just had to be reset. That worked for
    a while, but then had issues again and they found my enire port was stuffed
    so they moved me to another one. Ask them to reset your port as a
    test...........

    Just to shut them up about OS/router issue, diconnect all LAN cables from
    the router except a Windows PC (since thats all the Xtra helpdesk seem to
    know how to use).... even borrow a friends router to elimininate router
    issue.

    Pretty much if it still occurs after all this, they should get a tech out on
    site to check the line etc. However if they do this and find it is your
    equipment at fault, they can charge you $80+ for the callout.

    Good luck

    XPD, Nov 1, 2007

  3. Larry Spitz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Larry Spitz <> wrote in news:13ikbdl5pa10r75
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > I have an ongoing problem with DSL carrier dropouts.

    IFAIK the carrier has nothing to do with your OS or anything else behind
    the modem!
    OK, so you need to unplug everything in the house that is on the phone
    system including the alarm.
    Try again and see if problem goes away. If it does , you know it is your
    stuff, if it does not go away, get telecom to fix it.
    Escalate to a supervisor next time you call because they should have told
    you all this to begin with!
    IMHO.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 2, 2007
  4. "Larry Spitz" <> wrote in message
    >I have an ongoing problem with DSL carrier dropouts. I am an Xtra customer.
    > I called Xtra and after being shunted from one person to another I spent a
    > long time on the phone with Sri who was not of any help in resolving the
    > problem of my many DSL dropouts. He seemed to want to blame the problem on
    > either the fact that I primarily run Linux or on the fact that I have more
    > than one computer on my LAN (through a DLink switch).
    >
    > In the end he hung up on me, probably as frustrated as I am.
    >
    > My basic problem is this:
    >
    > I replaced my modem with a DLink DSL-502T which I bought from Telecom. The
    > modem was replaced because the last modem (a Lectron also purchased from
    > Telecom) was having many faults.
    >
    > This modem is also failing, or the DSL carrier is failing. Several times a
    > day (35 times in 6 hours on October 29) the DSL carrier disappears.
    >
    > The modem log shows the following each time:
    >
    > Oct 29 09:37:24> DSL Carrier is down
    > Oct 29 09:37:54> DSL Carrier is up
    > Oct 29 09:37:54> sar read trained mode (1)(ADSL_G.dmt)
    > Oct 29 09:37:55> PPPD Terminated Through Signal
    > Oct 29 09:37:56> Connection terminated.
    > Oct 29 09:37:56> pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
    > Oct 29 09:37:56> Connect: ppp0 {--}
    > Oct 29 09:37:59> WAN IP address 219.89.119.59
    > Oct 29 09:37:59> PPPoA Connect with IP Address 219.89.119.59
    > Oct 29 09:37:59> PPPoA Connection Successfully Established
    > Oct 29 09:37:59> PPPoA Connect with Gateway IP Address: 222.155.128.1
    > Oct 29 09:37:59> WAN gateway 222.155.128.1
    > Oct 29 09:37:59> primary DNS address 202.27.158.40
    > Oct 29 09:37:59> secondary DNS address 202.27.156.72
    > Oct 29 09:39:54> DSL Carrier is down
    >
    > Once every day or two, it does not recover automatically and though all of
    > the lights on the modem are blinking pleasantly away except for the DSL
    > link light which is out, a power-cycle is needed to re-establish
    > communication.
    >
    > And my question is: Am I seeing an unusual number of DSL carrier losses?
    > Should the modem always recover gracefully.
    >
    > I think I have a DSL problem. Telecom thinks it is my problem.
    > Any help/advice/information appreciated.

    If you have old wiring you may have a Post Office capacitor on your line.
    It's a white oblong plastic box that was put on the line just before the
    telephone, usually in the kitchen. They have a resistor or capacitor that
    can go bad.

    Otherwise sounds like exchange overloading, or you're on crap equipment at
    the exchange. Tell them it's causing grief with your phone line,
    disconnected calls, line noise, clicking, hissing and static etc., then
    they'll get someone out. But you must say the voice line problems are
    intermittent.

    I had the same symptoms as you and that's what I did. The Telecom tech came
    and checked all the gear in the house and said no problems. Two hours after
    he left the problem went away and never came back, and this was after not
    even being able to conenct for a whole week!

    J&H.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Nov 2, 2007