    The particular model Im using is a Zap Catcher 20.

    Cheers

    <goes back to watching the dog eat an apple... weird animal>
    XPD, Oct 8, 2005

  2. XPD

    XP Guest

    On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:37:13 +1300, "XPD" <> wrote:

    >Well, just a few mins ago we had another lightning storm (about the 3rd in 5
    >hours) and this time my computer shutdown and restarted. Thankfully I had
    >everything plugged into a surge protector (for a change) except my
    >line/router. Which got me thinking, do surge protectors with phone line
    >protection affect DSL in any way if used ? ie: Degrade performance,
    >introduce noise etc ?
    >
    >The particular model Im using is a Zap Catcher 20.
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    ><goes back to watching the dog eat an apple... weird animal>

    What Telescum told me that Surge protector are a waste of time, but what is
    fully is that they use them.

    They Only protect on a distant strike not a local one, as the Earth voltage
    rises with the shrike..
    XP, Oct 8, 2005

  3. XPD

    S Roby Guest

    In article <>, XP <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:37:13 +1300, "XPD" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, just a few mins ago we had another lightning storm (about the 3rd in 5
    >>hours) and this time my computer shutdown and restarted. Thankfully I had
    >>everything plugged into a surge protector (for a change) except my
    >>line/router. Which got me thinking, do surge protectors with phone line
    >>protection affect DSL in any way if used ? ie: Degrade performance,
    >>introduce noise etc ?
    >>
    >>The particular model Im using is a Zap Catcher 20.
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >><goes back to watching the dog eat an apple... weird animal>
    >>

    >What Telescum told me that Surge protector are a waste of time, but what is
    >fully is that they use them.
    >
    >They Only protect on a distant strike not a local one, as the Earth voltage
    >rises with the shrike..

    ComsumerMag tested a few surge protectors a while back
    Turns out only the expensive ones do anything at all
    Also they all need to be repaired after a surge, some models have a light to
    tell you this
    S Roby, Oct 8, 2005
  4. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    > ComsumerMag tested a few surge protectors a while back
    > Turns out only the expensive ones do anything at all
    > Also they all need to be repaired after a surge, some models have a light

    > tell you this

    Yeha my one has an LED on it...little note next to it - If this is off,
    repair required.
    XPD, Oct 8, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    > Well, just a few mins ago we had another lightning storm (about the 3rd in 5
    > hours) and this time my computer shutdown and restarted. Thankfully I had
    > everything plugged into a surge protector (for a change) except my
    > line/router. Which got me thinking, do surge protectors with phone line
    > protection affect DSL in any way if used ? ie: Degrade performance,
    > introduce noise etc ?

    Don't think you'd get line noise or any kind of filtering effect from a
    zap catcher. Keep in mind though, that, should you get a lightening
    strike on the powerlines or a transformer within half a mile or so no
    zap catcher is going to save your bacon - they'll get fried to a crisp
    and the 10 million Volts or so are just going to truck right on if they
    can see a convenient way to ground.

    I leave my answerphone and cordless going (they are surge protected both
    mains and phone line) unless storm's directly overhead, but I most
    certainly unplug the modem from the phone line if it's any closer than
    4-5 km (12 second delay between lightening and thunder) cause there is
    no way I want the 'puter fried.

    > The particular model Im using is a Zap Catcher 20.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > <goes back to watching the dog eat an apple... weird animal>

    Had a bitch once who picked blackberries to eat. My dog eats apple
    cores, pears, mandarins (peeled and segmented, please) and won't turn
    his nose up at bananas or any kind of boiled vegetables. <g>

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 8, 2005
  6. In message <p9F1f.16663$>,
    le (S Roby) wrote:

    >ComsumerMag tested a few surge protectors a while back
    >Turns out only the expensive ones do anything at all
    >Also they all need to be repaired after a surge, some models have a light to
    >tell you this

    Any idea which issue?

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Oct 8, 2005
  7. XPD

    w_tom Guest

    Review this plug-in protector, even with all MOVs (the
    active components) removed. Its indicator light still says it
    is OK.
    http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/movs.html

    I bought a light bulb. Went home and plugged it in. It did
    not light. Later I learned that I also have to obtain utility
    service. Ironically plug-in protectors are sold with the same
    information. They forget to mention it does nothing without
    the rest of a system. A light bulb will only be as effective
    as the electricity source it connects to. The surge protector
    will only be as effective as its earth ground. So what do
    ineffective and overpriced protectors forget to mention?
    Earth ground.

    Effective protectors are located where wires enter the
    building AND make a less than 3 meter connection to a single
    point earth ground. Not just any earth ground. All utilities
    must earth to a common earth ground (so that the previously
    cited earth ground potential does not cause problems). A
    figure from the NIST is used to demonstrate but one reason why
    it must be single point earthing:
    http://www.epri-peac.com/tutorials/sol01tut.html

    'Whole house' protectors are so effective and so inexpensive
    that your own telephone company need not disconnect their
    computer during every thunderstorm. In North America, the
    telco installs a 'whole house' protector, for free, on the
    incoming phone line - right where their phone line joins
    yours. But again, the protector is not protection. The
    protector is a device to connect TO protection. Protection is
    single point earth ground.

    Any protection that works at the appliance is already
    installed inside that appliance. Internal protection that can
    be overwhelmed IF the 'whole house' protector does not earth
    an incoming transient.

    Many protectors are so grossly undersized as to also use
    least expensive parts. MOVs are not acceptable for DSL use
    since capacitance is too high. However that is what some
    plug-in protector use in a hope that your DSL signal is strong
    enough to not be degraded. For DSL, a standard part is a low
    capacitance semiconductor device. But again, does not matter
    without the single point earth ground. What is THE most
    critical component for a protection 'system'? Earth ground.
    What do ineffective protectors hope you never learn about to
    sell their grossly overpriced and ineffective product? Earth
    ground.

    No earth ground means no effective protection. Ineffective
    protectors are made obvious by two characteristics: 1) no
    dedicated connection to earth ground, and 2) avoids discussion
    of earthing. The protector is only as effective as its earth
    ground. Ineffective protectors hope you never learn that
    fact.

    So what does the light say? It can only report a failed
    protectors AND cannot report when a protector is good. But
    again, just another little fact they forget to mention - since
    profits on plug-in protectors are so high, and since knowledge
    of this 1930 technology has been subverted by those who learn
    myths from retail store boxes.

    Notice no one has even mentioned joules - an important
    number in protectors. Another number often grossly undersized
    in overhyped plug-in protectors.

    w_tom, Oct 8, 2005
  8. XPD

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Well, just a few mins ago we had another lightning storm (about the 3rd in 5
    > hours) and this time my computer shutdown and restarted. Thankfully I had
    > everything plugged into a surge protector (for a change) except my
    > line/router. Which got me thinking, do surge protectors with phone line
    > protection affect DSL in any way if used ? ie: Degrade performance,
    > introduce noise etc ?

    A good UPS is the best, not so cheap though.
    Rob J, Oct 11, 2005