dsl and remote x-windows problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kroger@princeton.edu, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello. I am having some trouble using X windows via my DSL
    modem which runs at a max of 1.5 megs (due to my locality) to
    work on a remote machine in my lab.

    I am able to connect to the remote machine using

    ssh -X <machine name.university.edu>

    and run firefox browser remotely from the command line, and I
    can browse pretty well. Graphics are pretty fast, and if
    I switch away to a different desktop and back, the browser
    window is immediately present.

    But when I run matlab on the remote machine, it is too
    slow to use. The matlab graphics (java?) windows take
    forever to to refresh, which seems needed every time a
    menu command is issued or I switch to another desktop
    and back. Since firefox runs OK locally
    and on the remote machine I know the DSL connection
    and the X windows connection can move the data, but
    matlab just won't work at a usable speed.

    Many thanks in advance if anybody has information
    about why this happens or what to do to speed it up.

    Jim Kroger

    , Mar 27, 2006