    And what would be a good model to look at?

    P.S. I only know the higher end Cisco stuff,(ie.
    from 2600's and up).

    Captain, May 12, 2004

  2. Captain wrote:
    > I have a customer who's dsl connection drops from
    > time to time. His current,(cheap router), does not
    > always reconnect.
    >
    > How are cisco dsl routers at maintaining and
    > re-establishing connections?
    >
    > And what would be a good model to look at?
    >
    > P.S. I only know the higher end Cisco stuff,(ie.
    > from 2600's and up).

    Maybe its the DSl connection and not the router since you said it drops
    all the time. Try rebooting modem, ensure that there are filters on ALL
    jacks, if there is a splitter on the line remove it, if there is an
    extention cable for the phone cord remove it.

    Try that if that fails try this..

    Call ISP

    ask them to call there DSL provider here its bell nexxia in canada ask
    them to test the line for errors and distance. ask isp to Open a ticket
    with bell for intermitent line sync if it fails...

    Regards,

    Steve Kalcevich
    Commercial Accounts

    Direct: 416-207-4613
    Toll Free: 1-888-502-8380, ext. 8313
    Fax: 1-800-861-3035
    E mail:
    Website: www.primustel.ca

    Steven Kalcevich, May 12, 2004

  3. Captain

    Captain Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:33:32 -0400, Steven Kalcevich <>
    wrote:

    >Captain wrote:
    >> I have a customer who's dsl connection drops from
    >> time to time. His current,(cheap router), does not
    >> always reconnect.
    >>
    >> How are cisco dsl routers at maintaining and
    >> re-establishing connections?
    >>
    >> And what would be a good model to look at?
    >>
    >> P.S. I only know the higher end Cisco stuff,(ie.
    >> from 2600's and up).
    >>

    >Maybe its the DSl connection and not the router since you said it drops
    >all the time. Try rebooting modem, ensure that there are filters on ALL
    >jacks, if there is a splitter on the line remove it, if there is an
    >extention cable for the phone cord remove it.
    >
    >Try that if that fails try this..
    >
    >Call ISP
    >
    >ask them to call there DSL provider here its bell nexxia in canada ask
    >them to test the line for errors and distance. ask isp to Open a ticket
    >with bell for intermitent line sync if it fails...

    We are in Canada as well.

    Customer has a dedicated line,(nothing sharing it).

    Line is fine, no errors,(ie. Nexxia has comfirmed it).

    It's just if the dsl drops,(as will happen from time to time), their
    "cheap" router wont always reconnect.

    They want a "guarantee" that the router always comes back.

    I know there is never a guarantee with dsl, but would a higher
    end router,(like a cisco), be a little more reliable at re-connecting?

    Captain, May 12, 2004
  4. Captain wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:33:32 -0400, Steven Kalcevich <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Captain wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a customer who's dsl connection drops from
    >>>time to time. His current,(cheap router), does not
    >>>always reconnect.
    >>>
    >>>How are cisco dsl routers at maintaining and
    >>>re-establishing connections?
    >>>
    >>>And what would be a good model to look at?
    >>>
    >>>P.S. I only know the higher end Cisco stuff,(ie.
    >>> from 2600's and up).
    >>>

    >>Maybe its the DSl connection and not the router since you said it drops
    >>all the time. Try rebooting modem, ensure that there are filters on ALL
    >>jacks, if there is a splitter on the line remove it, if there is an
    >>extention cable for the phone cord remove it.
    >>
    >>Try that if that fails try this..
    >>
    >>Call ISP
    >>
    >>ask them to call there DSL provider here its bell nexxia in canada ask
    >>them to test the line for errors and distance. ask isp to Open a ticket
    >>with bell for intermitent line sync if it fails...
    >>

    > We are in Canada as well.
    >
    > Customer has a dedicated line,(nothing sharing it).
    >
    > Line is fine, no errors,(ie. Nexxia has comfirmed it).
    >
    > It's just if the dsl drops,(as will happen from time to time), their
    > "cheap" router wont always reconnect.
    >
    > They want a "guarantee" that the router always comes back.
    >
    > I know there is never a guarantee with dsl, but would a higher
    > end router,(like a cisco), be a little more reliable at re-connecting?

    Try upgrading the firmware on the router.Go to the manufatures site such
    as www.linksys.com or whatevr and download the new firmware version for
    it. It could be old / buggy I had that a few times. If that fails
    replace it. you dont need a cisco try getting a Linksys they are quite
    nice the newer ones and I never had a problem with not reconnecting with
    them..

    Steven Kalcevich, May 12, 2004
  5. Captain

    Captain Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:58:55 -0400, Steven Kalcevich <>
    wrote:

    >Captain wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:33:32 -0400, Steven Kalcevich <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Maybe its the DSl connection and not the router since you said it drops
    >>>all the time. Try rebooting modem, ensure that there are filters on ALL
    >>>jacks, if there is a splitter on the line remove it, if there is an
    >>>extention cable for the phone cord remove it.
    >>>
    >>>Try that if that fails try this..
    >>>
    >>>Call ISP
    >>>
    >>>ask them to call there DSL provider here its bell nexxia in canada ask
    >>>them to test the line for errors and distance. ask isp to Open a ticket
    >>>with bell for intermitent line sync if it fails...
    >>>

    >> We are in Canada as well.
    >>
    >> Customer has a dedicated line,(nothing sharing it).
    >>
    >> Line is fine, no errors,(ie. Nexxia has comfirmed it).
    >>
    >> It's just if the dsl drops,(as will happen from time to time), their
    >> "cheap" router wont always reconnect.
    >>
    >> They want a "guarantee" that the router always comes back.
    >>
    >> I know there is never a guarantee with dsl, but would a higher
    >> end router,(like a cisco), be a little more reliable at re-connecting?
    >>

    >Try upgrading the firmware on the router.Go to the manufatures site such
    >as www.linksys.com or whatevr and download the new firmware version for
    >it. It could be old / buggy I had that a few times. If that fails
    >replace it. you dont need a cisco try getting a Linksys they are quite
    >nice the newer ones and I never had a problem with not reconnecting with
    >them..

    We actually already replaced the router,(with a brand new one), and
    now the connection is a lot more stable,(as far as remaining up), but
    it still failed to re-connect this past weekend,(when the connection
    dropped).

    Captain, May 12, 2004
  6. Captain wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:58:55 -0400, Steven Kalcevich <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Captain wrote:

    >>>We are in Canada as well.
    >>>
    >>>Customer has a dedicated line,(nothing sharing it).
    >>>
    >>>Line is fine, no errors,(ie. Nexxia has comfirmed it).
    >>>
    >>>It's just if the dsl drops,(as will happen from time to time), their
    >>>"cheap" router wont always reconnect.
    >>>
    >>>They want a "guarantee" that the router always comes back.
    >>>
    >>>I know there is never a guarantee with dsl, but would a higher
    >>>end router,(like a cisco), be a little more reliable at re-connecting?
    >>>

    >>Try upgrading the firmware on the router.Go to the manufatures site such
    >>as www.linksys.com or whatevr and download the new firmware version for
    >>it. It could be old / buggy I had that a few times. If that fails
    >>replace it. you dont need a cisco try getting a Linksys they are quite
    >>nice the newer ones and I never had a problem with not reconnecting with
    >>them..
    >>

    > We actually already replaced the router,(with a brand new one), and
    > now the connection is a lot more stable,(as far as remaining up), but
    > it still failed to re-connect this past weekend,(when the connection
    > dropped).

    what is the make / model?

    Steven Kalcevich, May 12, 2004
  7. Captain

    Captain Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:32:32 -0400, Steven Kalcevich <>
    wrote:

    >Captain wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:58:55 -0400, Steven Kalcevich <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Try upgrading the firmware on the router.Go to the manufatures site such
    >>>as www.linksys.com or whatevr and download the new firmware version for
    >>>it. It could be old / buggy I had that a few times. If that fails
    >>>replace it. you dont need a cisco try getting a Linksys they are quite
    >>>nice the newer ones and I never had a problem with not reconnecting with
    >>>them..
    >>>

    >> We actually already replaced the router,(with a brand new one), and
    >> now the connection is a lot more stable,(as far as remaining up), but
    >> it still failed to re-connect this past weekend,(when the connection
    >> dropped).
    >>

    >what is the make / model?

    gnet
    BB0060A

    Because they use mulitple static IPs, they don't use a
    firewall router behind it,(they just use this modem/router
    unit on it's own).

    Captain, May 12, 2004