DSE XH8175 Wireless Access Point Repeater operation

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordy, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    Anyone have success getting a pair of DSE XH8175 APs (Wireless Access
    Points) going in repeater operation?

    I want a central AP (with Lan) and an 11g wireless link to a remote
    Lan.

    Each XH8175 has 2 MAC addresses, one for the Lan port and one for the
    Wireless port.

    I have tried:
    The same SSID on both APs.
    The same WPA security phrase on both sides.
    Same subnet on both sides.
    Various Lan/Wireless MAC address combos across the link.
    Both APs work ok as central APs to wireless adapters.

    No response out of on this subject or on an earlier
    AP failure.

    Any help would be most appreciated.

    Cheers

    Gordy, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Gordy

    EMB Guest

    Gordy wrote:
    > Anyone have success getting a pair of DSE XH8175 APs (Wireless Access
    > Points) going in repeater operation?
    >
    > I want a central AP (with Lan) and an 11g wireless link to a remote
    > Lan.
    >
    > Each XH8175 has 2 MAC addresses, one for the Lan port and one for the
    > Wireless port.
    >
    > I have tried:
    > The same SSID on both APs.
    > The same WPA security phrase on both sides.
    > Same subnet on both sides.
    > Various Lan/Wireless MAC address combos across the link.
    > Both APs work ok as central APs to wireless adapters.
    >
    > No response out of on this subject or on an earlier
    > AP failure.

    Yep - 2 days of bashing my head against the walls and I got them going.
    Use the LAN MAC addresses (not the wireless side)!
    Turn off all encryption - I couldn't get it to work.
    Give them different IP's on the same subnet.
    Use the same channel for both.
    Use the same SSID for both.

    Good luck. Email me if you need any more info - the AP's aren't here
    but I can go and have a look at all the setting if necessary.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply

    EMB, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    Thanks for your help.

    Yep, I backed off security and repeater mode worked.

    Found that WEP encryption is the only mode that works, WPA does not.

    Afterwards I found deep in a help menu reference to WEP only.

    The old story... It is easy when you know.

    Cheers

    Gordy, Sep 21, 2004
  4. "Gordy" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Yep, I backed off security and repeater mode worked.
    > Found that WEP encryption is the only mode that works, WPA does not.
    > Afterwards I found deep in a help menu reference to WEP only.
    > The old story... It is easy when you know.
    > Cheers

    I had the exact same problem. Running a repeater didnt work but 'strangly
    enough' running one end as a repeater and the other as an AP worked fine.
    Not sure why it workes but it does, means I can also use a laptop at one end
    as well.

    Ive still enabled encryption since my one is used between two residential
    blocks. Im using the external dipole (7dbi gain) at around ~300m distance.
    Getting the aerials up higher id say id get at least 500m point to point.

    Matt

    Matthew Strickland, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Gordy

    Tim Guest

    On the dse site, they mention this:

    Q. I'm having problems setting up wireless encryption using WPA?
    A. Make sure you have the WPA update for your client device. For Windows
    this can be found on the Installation CD or at
    http:??support.microsoft.com??kbid=815485.

    If it helps, then can you let us know how you get on?

    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 22, 2004
  6. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    I have been using WPA and 11g only between the DSE XH8175 Access Point
    and the DSE 11g XH8225 Card adapter, both, as is, out of the box and
    using WinXP Pro as is, later with SP1 and now with SP2.

    I have also used the DSE XH8225 and a 3COM 554g72 router using WPA,
    without problem.

    The 3COM router does not work with the XH8175 in repeater mode.

    An additional comment I have is that I used the product installation
    options and configs and not the Windows setup for wireless.

    As I recall the Windows setup option gave me a lot of problems.

    Cheers

    G.

    "Tim" <> wrote in message news:<ciql33$rre$>...
    > On the dse site, they mention this:
    >
    > Q. I'm having problems setting up wireless encryption using WPA?
    > A. Make sure you have the WPA update for your client device. For Windows
    > this can be found on the Installation CD or at
    > http:??support.microsoft.com??kbid=815485.
    >
    > If it helps, then can you let us know how you get on?
    >
    > - Tim

    snip

    Gordy, Sep 22, 2004
  7. Gordy

    Tim Guest

    Thanks.
    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 22, 2004
  8. Gordy

    Karen Parker Guest

    Gordy wrote:
    > Anyone have success getting a pair of DSE XH8175 APs (Wireless Access
    > Points) going in repeater operation?
    >
    > I want a central AP (with Lan) and an 11g wireless link to a remote
    > Lan.
    >
    > Each XH8175 has 2 MAC addresses, one for the Lan port and one for the
    > Wireless port.
    >
    > I have tried:
    > The same SSID on both APs.
    > The same WPA security phrase on both sides.
    > Same subnet on both sides.
    > Various Lan/Wireless MAC address combos across the link.
    > Both APs work ok as central APs to wireless adapters.
    >
    > No response out of on this subject or on an earlier
    > AP failure.
    >
    > Any help would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers

    DSE only sell CRAP , you get what you pay for, use a real brand, seems
    you know nothing about networking.

    Karen Parker, Sep 23, 2004
  9. "Matthew Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > "Gordy" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >> Yep, I backed off security and repeater mode worked.
    >> Found that WEP encryption is the only mode that works, WPA does not.
    >> Afterwards I found deep in a help menu reference to WEP only.
    >> The old story... It is easy when you know.
    >> Cheers

    Hmm.. AP <-> AP will not work.. it has to be AP<->Client..
    Repeater Mode is Client and AP system all in one.

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Sep 23, 2004
  10. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    What is a real brand?
    I am learning about networking... and a lot about people networking too!
    Anything to offer?

    Gordy, Sep 24, 2004
  11. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    Interesting.

    You are quite right.. AP to AP probably won't work.

    But the DSE XH8175 is an AP with 3 options:

    1. AP
    2. AP with Bridging (docs call it repeater mode)
    3. Bridging alone.

    I have two of the XH8175s working in repeater mode.

    The central XH8175 is configured as an AP.
    The remote XH8175 is configured as AP with bridging.

    Works very well.

    Cheers

    Gordy, Sep 24, 2004
  12. Gordy

    EMB Guest

    Gordy wrote:

    > But the DSE XH8175 is an AP with 3 options:
    >
    > 1. AP
    > 2. AP with Bridging (docs call it repeater mode)
    > 3. Bridging alone.
    >
    > I have two of the XH8175s working in repeater mode.
    >
    > The central XH8175 is configured as an AP.
    > The remote XH8175 is configured as AP with bridging.
    >
    > Works very well.

    Yep - I have 2 in bridge mode (with externally mounted antennae)
    connecting lans about 150m apart - so far reliable and trouble free.

    EMB, Sep 24, 2004