    anyone know how to fix this problem?

    Rgds,
    Jeremy.
    jedmesiter, Aug 25, 2003

  2. jedmesiter

    Matt G Guest

    "mnm snr" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > yep i have had two of these, try pressing the reset switch again, i
    > noticed on one occasion that when i pressed it three times it changed the
    > default network from 192.168.1.0 to 10.0.0.0
    >

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:50:17 +1200, jedmesiter wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Dick Smith xh7916 ADSL routers, and it has been working fine,

    I tried the update function on my one of these, took about 5 minutes for it
    to come up with an error saying "Update failed". It rebooted, but now in the
    main page I get a "revision.txt missing!" ..

    Strange. Dosen't seem to effect the modem itself tho.

    -M.
    Matt G, Aug 25, 2003

  3. jedmesiter

    jedmesiter Guest

    Part 3....as I now have 2 adsl modems, i could afford to play around with
    the broken one.

    I followed the instructions on the supplied CD Rom to reinstall the firmware
    to the flash chip, which is also installed on the CD ROM.

    The biggest problem was that the firmware must be installed from a DOS
    booted Machine (can't use dos window on top of windows), with read/write
    access to more than 2mb diskspace. (i ended up using 8mb to be safe).

    I have XP, and normal DOS boot disks don't seem to recognise NTFS formatted
    HDD, and the floppy drive was too small to hold the firmware/and dos.

    1. I found a DOS bootdisk on the net, that which created a ram drive of 4Mb
    during the boot (4mb was too small, so I edited autoexec.bat and changed it
    to 8mb to be safe), and included generic CDROM drivers to access the CDROM.

    2. Wrote the firmware to a CDRW disk via XP, and printed the installation
    instructions, and shutdown the pc.

    3. Opened the modem (the screw is under the s/n sticker) , and shorted the
    jumper pin using one of those twisty ties used to close plastic bags, (I
    exposed some wire in the center of the twisty tie and wrapped it around the
    correct twin jumper pins).

    4. Plug in the USB cable to the PC USB port, and the modem.

    5. Booted the XP machine using the bootdisk (a: drive = floppy, C: Drive=8mb
    ramdisk, and D: drive. = CDROM).

    6. Copied the firmware from the CD Drive, to the Ramdisk (C: drive). Set the
    C: drive as the current drive (it won't work from d: drive as the firmware
    unzips some files and the CD drive is not writeable).

    7. Switch on the adsl modem, two left red leds stay lit.

    8. Follow the supplied instructions. The first time I tried flash /e it did
    not work, but adjusted the twisty tie on the shorted jumper and that did the
    trick.

    9. Installed the firmware by typing xy7916...this installed the firmware...

    10. Followed the remaining instructions, and restarted the modem, and it was
    all working again...........

    Now I have to decide what to do with the extra ADSL modem.....maybe keep as
    a spare....

    "jedmesiter" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Dick Smith xh7916 ADSL routers, and it has been working fine,

    until
    > today I updated the routing table, then submitted and rebooted the modem.
    > But, on the save/reboot, I got a web page not found error, and the modem

    did

    jedmesiter, Aug 26, 2003