    network is fine as this laptop and another in the house are connecting
    and fine.

    Ideas?
    Italian Jobs, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Italian Jobs

    steve Guest

    Italian Jobs <> wrote:

    > I've been trying to get a DSE USB XH1153 wireless adapter up and
    > running. I've never had any problems before but this time - arggg.
    >
    > The computer sees the SSID of the wireless lan but won't connect. I've
    > tried the DSE drivers and let WindowsXP manage the service. The
    > network is fine as this laptop and another in the house are connecting
    > and fine.
    >
    > Ideas?

    Off the top of my head......

    Have you enabled encryption (WEP/WAP) and forgotten to provide a key?
    steve, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Italian Jobs

    Italian Jobs Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:24:49 +1300, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Italian Jobs <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been trying to get a DSE USB XH1153 wireless adapter up and
    >> running. I've never had any problems before but this time - arggg.
    >>
    >> The computer sees the SSID of the wireless lan but won't connect. I've
    >> tried the DSE drivers and let WindowsXP manage the service. The
    >> network is fine as this laptop and another in the house are connecting
    >> and fine.
    >>
    >> Ideas?

    >Off the top of my head......
    >
    >Have you enabled encryption (WEP/WAP) and forgotten to provide a key?

    I wish.

    Thanks, next job is to go and get a different el cheapo DSE to see if
    that's the issue.
    Italian Jobs, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Italian Jobs

    Malone Guest

    <Italian Jobs> wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:24:49 +1300, steve <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Italian Jobs <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been trying to get a DSE USB XH1153 wireless adapter up and
    >>> running. I've never had any problems before but this time - arggg.
    >>>
    >>> The computer sees the SSID of the wireless lan but won't connect. I've
    >>> tried the DSE drivers and let WindowsXP manage the service. The
    >>> network is fine as this laptop and another in the house are connecting
    >>> and fine.
    >>>
    >>> Ideas?

    >>Off the top of my head......
    >>
    >>Have you enabled encryption (WEP/WAP) and forgotten to provide a key?
    >>

    > I wish.
    >
    > Thanks, next job is to go and get a different el cheapo DSE to see if
    > that's the issue.

    I suspect the product is the issue. I had huge problems with this XH1153. They all went away when I replaced it with DSE's XH6859. My experience with some of those DSE wireless products of a year ago was that they were pretty flaky and others on this newsgroup have reported similar experiences. I think DSE discontinued the XH1153 some time ago and I notice the XH6859 is reduced to clear at the moment.
    Malone, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Italian Jobs

    steve Guest

    Malone wrote:

    > <Italian Jobs> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:24:49 +1300, steve <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Off the top of my head......
    >>>
    >>>Have you enabled encryption (WEP/WAP) and forgotten to provide a key?
    >>>

    >> I wish.
    >>
    >> Thanks, next job is to go and get a different el cheapo DSE to see if
    >> that's the issue.

    > I suspect the product is the issue. I had huge problems with this XH1153.
    > They all went away when I replaced it with DSE's XH6859. My experience
    > with some of those DSE wireless products of a year ago was that they were
    > pretty flaky and others on this newsgroup have reported similar
    > experiences. I think DSE discontinued the XH1153 some time ago and I
    > notice the XH6859 is reduced to clear at the moment.

    I also have a DSE XH8227 (USB 802.11g wireless) I hope to get going with
    Linux.

    But the PCI 802.11b card (XH8135) is now running so well on drivers v1.2.1,
    I haven't much incentive to invest the time right now. Lots of other stuff
    to do.
    steve, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Italian Jobs

    Italian Jobs Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:10:59 +1300, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Malone wrote:
    >
    >> <Italian Jobs> wrote in message

    >>> I wish.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, next job is to go and get a different el cheapo DSE to see if
    >>> that's the issue.

    >> I suspect the product is the issue. I had huge problems with this XH1153.
    >> They all went away when I replaced it with DSE's XH6859. My experience
    >> with some of those DSE wireless products of a year ago was that they were
    >> pretty flaky and others on this newsgroup have reported similar
    >> experiences. I think DSE discontinued the XH1153 some time ago and I
    >> notice the XH6859 is reduced to clear at the moment.

    >I also have a DSE XH8227 (USB 802.11g wireless) I hope to get going with
    >Linux.
    >
    >But the PCI 802.11b card (XH8135) is now running so well on drivers v1.2.1,
    >I haven't much incentive to invest the time right now. Lots of other stuff
    >to do.

    I ended up going to get the XH6859, plugged it in, installed the
    drivers and my Uncle's name is Robert. One happy child (out of my hair
    too).
    Italian Jobs, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Italian Jobs

    Italian Jobs, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Italian Jobs

    John Doe Guest

    Try this - not sure about the XH1153 but it worked with a Viao I wanted to
    connect to a DynalinkRTA770W and had the same problem you now have. Had to
    basic settings were right, no amount of manual tinkering got me anywhere.
    1.From the Start menu, point to Programs, Accessories and then click Command
    Prompt.
    2 Type ipconfig at prompt. This shows see the IP information from DHCP
    server.
    3. If you want to get a new IP address, type ipconfig /release to release
    the previous IP address and then type
    ipconfig /renew to get a new one.
    John Doe, Jan 3, 2005
  9. Italian Jobs <> wrote:
    >I've been trying to get a DSE USB XH1153 wireless adapter up and
    >running.

    If you're entering a WEP encryption string in ASCII, try using a
    hexadecimal one. (Or was it the other way around?).

    For example:

    1q2w3e4r5t6y7 in ASCII
    ff 79 ed 31 a9 ae 9e c0 b1 9e 90 91 c9 in hexadecimal

    That was the main problem I had with these cards, or the software
    that came with them. And I don't think I mistyped the string.

    cheers
    Steve
    Steve Marshall, Jan 3, 2005