dse wlan gear

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -[Myth]-, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    -[Myth]-, Dec 21, 2003

  2. -[Myth]-

    XPD Guest

    "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Has anyone tried the DSE 802.11b gear (the access point or the PCI card)
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH7988 and
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH8135
    > Also is there much variation with the ranges and performance of different
    > wireless cards?

    I was after one of their reduced to clear PCMCIA wireless cards that they
    advertise on their site... rung 3 diff stores in Ak that are suppose to have
    them and got told "no, dont have those".... the last store (Henderson) at
    least told me the truth.... the cards were sent back to the service centre
    because they failed to install on many systems, and if they did install they
    jsut wouldnt run.

    Hopefully their PCI offerings are better , but just be wary :)

    Kinda sucky cause I was hoping to be able to sit out in the sun with the
    laptop over xmas/new years :)
    XPD, Dec 21, 2003

  3. -[Myth]-

    back again Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in

    > "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> Has anyone tried the DSE 802.11b gear (the access point or the PCI
    >> card) http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH7988
    >> and http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH8135
    >> Also is there much variation with the ranges and performance of
    >> different wireless cards?

    > I was after one of their reduced to clear PCMCIA wireless cards that
    > they advertise on their site... rung 3 diff stores in Ak that are
    > suppose to have them and got told "no, dont have those".... the last
    > store (Henderson) at least told me the truth.... the cards were sent
    > back to the service centre because they failed to install on many
    > systems, and if they did install they jsut wouldnt run.
    >
    > Hopefully their PCI offerings are better , but just be wary :)
    >
    > Kinda sucky cause I was hoping to be able to sit out in the sun with
    > the laptop over xmas/new years :)

    You'd probably have had too much glare on the laptop screen anyway :)
    back again, Dec 21, 2003
  4. -[Myth]-

    The Hobbit Guest

    "back again" <> wrote in message
    > "XPD" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in
    > > message news:...

    <Snip>
    > > Kinda sucky cause I was hoping to be able to sit out in the sun with
    > > the laptop over xmas/new years :)

    > You'd probably have had too much glare on the laptop screen anyway :)

    Agreed - this is a major limiting factor in how 'mobile' computing will be
    going forward IMO... Now a HUD type display on bluetooth sunglasses ;)
    The Hobbit, Dec 21, 2003
  5. The Hobbit wrote:

    > Agreed - this is a major limiting factor in how 'mobile' computing will be
    > going forward IMO... Now a HUD type display on bluetooth sunglasses ;)

    Then you will be waving your head around with dark glasses on like stevie wonder
    or ray charles!

    Anyway, bluetooth would be too slow...
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 22, 2003
  6. -[Myth]-

    Malone Guest

    Back to dse wlan gear...

    I bought a whole lot of the dse wlan stuff and it has never really worked properly. Although I have got 4 computers talking to each other it is extremely slow (network utilisation peaks at about 1% if I am lucky) and the link will crash whenever I try to transfer a large (20MB) file. I have put this down to my general lack of experience with networking combined with Microsoft's apparent inability to provide network-friendly features when trying to get different OSs to talk to each other.

    But perhaps it is the dse hardware / software? Do you think I could take it all back and ask for a refund - it is only a couple of months old?

    Malone

    Malone, Dec 22, 2003
  7. -[Myth]-

    T.N.O. Guest

    Malone wrote:

    > Back to dse wlan gear...
    >
    > I bought a whole lot of the dse wlan stuff and it has
    > never really worked properly. Although I have got 4
    > computers talking to each other it is extremely slow
    > (network utilisation peaks at about 1% if I am lucky)
    > and the link will crash whenever I try to transfer a
    > large (20MB) file. I have put this down to my general
    > lack of experience with networking combined with
    > Microsoft's apparent inability to provide
    > network-friendly features when trying to get different
    > OSs to talk to each other.
    >
    > But perhaps it is the dse hardware / software? Do you
    > think I could take it all back and ask for a refund
    > - it is only a couple of months old?

    Personally I'd be inclined to try it in another house... my last house
    was crap with wireless gear, may have been the overhead power lines, but
    anyway, it all worked fine in other areas, so yeah, I put it down to the
    house.

    Latest drivers etc? what OS's?
    T.N.O., Dec 22, 2003
  8. Malone wrote:

    > Back to dse wlan gear...
    >
    > I bought a whole lot of the dse wlan stuff and it has never really worked properly. Although I have got 4 computers talking to each other it is extremely slow (network utilisation peaks at about 1% if I am lucky) and the link will crash whenever I try to transfer a large (20MB) file. I have put this down to my general lack of experience with networking combined with Microsoft's apparent inability to provide network-friendly features when trying to get different OSs to talk to each other.
    >
    > But perhaps it is the dse hardware / software? Do you think I could take it all back and ask for a refund - it is only a couple of months old?
    >
    > Malone

    How far are your computers from the accesspoint? Just because 2 machines are
    next to each other doesnt mean the signal goes directly between them, it will
    all go back to the accesspoint first.

    I find im lucky to get 2 megabit from one end of the house to the other, but
    with the AP in the middle it rarely drops to 5.5 anywhere in the house and is
    even ok out to the car in the driveway. It will still get detected as an
    available network for ages away (100m down the road) but its unusable from there.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 22, 2003
  9. -[Myth]-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Malone wrote:

    > But perhaps it is the dse hardware / software? Do you think I could take
    > it all back and ask for a refund - it is only a couple of months old?

    I took all my stuff back - about a month after I bought it, although both
    the AP and PCcard had each been replaced once already. DSE had no problem
    with this, although they would have been happier if I'd returned it within
    the 2 week return period.

    I posted my experiences in this NG a few weeks ago, you can look them up, I
    don't want to repost here.

    Basically, I think that particular range of products from DSE is really bad;
    and with the newer, higher speed kit available now for around the same
    price, it isn't worth the hassle of dealing with the DSE hardware.
    -=rjh=-, Dec 23, 2003
  10. -[Myth]-

    Malone Guest

    Thanks for the replies. Three of my computers are in the same room within a few metres together with the AP, the other computer is next door, but it doesn't make any difference if I bring it into the same room. The signal strength and link quality are both 100%. So I don't think things are too far apart.

    Having read this thread I feel there may be a general problem with this equipment in which case I would be entitled to return it even after three months.

    Has anyone got the dse wlan equipment working and is happy with it? (PCMCIA LAN card XH1152, USB LAN card XH1153 and Wireless LAN Access Point XH7988).

    Malone
    Malone, Dec 23, 2003
  11. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:31:24 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Malone wrote:
    >

    >> But perhaps it is the dse hardware / software? Do you think I could take
    >> it all back and ask for a refund - it is only a couple of months old?

    > I took all my stuff back - about a month after I bought it, although both
    > the AP and PCcard had each been replaced once already. DSE had no problem
    > with this, although they would have been happier if I'd returned it within
    > the 2 week return period.
    >
    > I posted my experiences in this NG a few weeks ago, you can look them up, I
    > don't want to repost here.
    >
    > Basically, I think that particular range of products from DSE is really bad;
    > and with the newer, higher speed kit available now for around the same
    > price, it isn't worth the hassle of dealing with the DSE hardware.

    thanks for all the info in this thread, I think I will stay away from DSE
    gear (it is overpriced anyway). For those that are interested here is the
    post -=rjh=- refers to:
    http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3f76
    b740%40news.orcon.net.nz&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Ddse%2Bgroup:nz.comp%2Ba
    uthor:-%253Drjh%253D-%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3
    D3f76b740%2540news.orcon.net.nz%26rnum%3D1
    -[Myth]-, Dec 24, 2003